GA governor to sign bill enabling guns...

I'm sure the intent of the mandatory notification of court ordered psychiatric care was intended for the instant name check. If the same law was in effect in Virginia the worst school shooting in history would not have happened in Va. Tech because the maniac who was ordered to undergo psychiatric counseling for stalking coeds would not have been able to "legally" obtain a weapon.

So...Ur saying that an aspiring gun purchaser would have to notify a vendor of his legal name (with proof of course) ...and the gun dealer would have to check it against the restricted list?....That WOULD amount to a kind of "background check", no?
I was under the impression that buyers at certain gun shows or online did not have to show ID or provide any personal info...Am I wrong about that?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I just recently received a federal firearms license for a new business my son and I are launching (retail gun store). We are required to see proof of identity for all firearm purchasers and we intend to retain copies of all ID including a thumbprint. If you want to purchase guns anonymously go someplace else. We do not want your business. Reputable firearms dealers have the same opinion. So do their insurers (I do that too).

Now I understand that militiamen, the NRA, skinheads, and domestic terrorists don't like this. They go to gun shows where there are no controls and get what they want.

There is no "restricted list". There is a database we log on to which tells us if the person can legally buy a firearm. It doesn't tell us why a sale may be blocked. The purchaser may be a mental patient, a convicted felon, or on a watch list. We don't know and frankly don't care. We sell guns, ammo, and accessories to Americans who want them for hunting, sport, personal protection, or in line of their work (police, security services, & military). None of these people should have a problem with the background check.

Retaining copies of ID is not required, and is a really bad idea. Head on over to fflsonly.com and join the forum there to find out why.

Actually...it DOES appear that most of the mass killers and "annoyed" shooters were not hardened criminals or previously committed psychos...
But they sure were folks that found guns handy when they got mad at somebody or the world at large..
Now that there will be more guns in more places in Georgia...and with cops prevented by law from checking out suspicious persons..it will be even easier for those armed to act out by blowing away any source of irritation..when drunk or just pissed off ...
If this is Georgia's notion of "freedom"... Those of us who who prefer to feel free to move about without fear of being blown away by someone having a bad day..will prefer to stay away.

I dont think they want people with an irrational fear of weapons there anyway.

Umm....a fear of unrestricted gun carry in venues such as bars, churches and government buildings is VERY RATIONAL...considering the degree of drunkenness and anger those places draw....to NOT be afraid under those circumstances would be irrational....
Just hope this all doesn't hurt Georgia's kids and economy....the adults that asked for it will deserve what they get.

Actually...it DOES appear that most of the mass killers and "annoyed" shooters were not hardened criminals or previously committed psychos...
But they sure were folks that found guns handy when they got mad at somebody or the world at large..
Now that there will be more guns in more places in Georgia...and with cops prevented by law from checking out suspicious persons..it will be even easier for those armed to act out by blowing away any source of irritation..when drunk or just pissed off ...
If this is Georgia's notion of "freedom"... Those of us who who prefer to feel free to move about without fear of being blown away by someone having a bad day..will prefer to stay away.

I dont think they want people with an irrational fear of weapons there anyway.

Umm....a fear of unrestricted gun carry in venues such as bars, churches and government buildings is VERY RATIONAL...considering the degree of drunkenness and anger those places draw....to NOT be afraid under those circumstances would be irrational....
Just hope this all doesn't hurt Georgia's kids and economy....the adults that asked for it will deserve what they get.

It's irrational. TN has had guns in bars for over a year. There have been no, zero, incidents involving legal permit holders. In fact, in every state with looser gun laws there have been close to zero incidents involving permit holders. Police officers have a higher rate of crime. Are you afraid of armed police officers in bars, churches, etc?

U forget that this GA law includes a provision that cops CANNOT CHECK suspicious persons to determine if they indeed are "legal permit holders"...

I could take my concealed firearm any where there is no security, and no one would be the wiser.
Would I be breaking the law? Sometimes.

So what's the harm if it's out of sight and out of mind?

Wow, a random work place shooting by persons unknown and here you are ready to blame a law that hasn't even taken effect yet.
What does that say about your mental abilities?

My mental abilities are just fine thank you..Most psychologists agree that anticipation of a change contributes to it's occurrence..
There have been other recent events indicative of a growing cavalier attitude involving guns in Georgia, including the brandishing of a gun in a public playground, frightening kids and parents..
Geez...and I thought that a guiding principle of this forum was to NOT cast aspersions on each other in discussions..
I may disagree with you at every turn, but am not questioning YOUR mental abilities..

Last edited:
And so it begins....

Wow, a random work place shooting by persons unknown and here you are ready to blame a law that hasn't even taken effect yet.
What does that say about your mental abilities?

My mental abilities are just fine thank you..Most psychologists agree that anticipation of a change contributes to it's occurrence..
There have been other recent events indicative of a growing cavalier attitude involving guns in Georgia, including the brandishing of a gun in a public playground, frightening kids and parents..
Geez...and I thought that a guiding principle of this forum was to NOT cast aspersions on each other in discussions..
I may disagree with you at every turn, but am not questioning YOUR mental abilities..
No, the law had nothing to do with the incident. It is another workplace shooting by a deranged person in a gun free zone.
There are many events in Chicago involving cavalier attitudes towards guns, chiefly people getting shot. Is it because Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the country?

Not that simple. The bill would give school administrators the option to permit teachers to carry a concealed weapon and the decision would not effect all churches or bars or government buildings. The bill would also mandate the notification to the state of all involuntary mental commitments. It sounds like a good law.

Hm...wouldn't that kind of commitment/mental illness notification depend on comprehensive background checks...including at gun shows and online...to be at all effective?

I'm sure the intent of the mandatory notification of court ordered psychiatric care was intended for the instant name check. If the same law was in effect in Virginia the worst school shooting in history would not have happened in Va. Tech because the maniac who was ordered to undergo psychiatric counseling for stalking coeds would not have been able to "legally" obtain a weapon.

Do we really qnt another federal database of people who might be crazy? Who will get to use it? Employers? Insurance companies? Should a person on This list be allowed to get a driving license? Or get married, or get a mortgage. Should they be allowed to have children? How far are you willing to go? How many people will avoid needed mental health treatment to avoid getting on this list?

Forum List

Back