Freedom from ME oil.

I still think the BEST way to get plants online by 2020 is to have the gov't build them and then lease to power cos. The FACT is gov't can get past MANY problems faced by private development. Eminent domain ring any bells?

The government can't do squat without thinking with their wallets ...

Wrong-o there KK.

The government can't do squat without thinking with OUR wallets .

My bad ... correction noted.

Right now, we need that algae for a lot of other things. ;) It would be like when we pushed for corn oil.

Lol. Well, I wouldn't want to deprive people of their algae or anything... :razz:

Seriously, it's quite promising. It doesn't take up much space at all. Exxon's investing in it at the moment. And it's really a different concept than corn (bearing in mind I am not a science and type and my understanding is very limited...) - the process appears to be attempting to mimic the manner in which oil was developed. But since the algae consumes carbon dioxide, it helps offset the carbon dioxide being emitted when the fuel is used. I don't know the ratios on that one, though.

Exxon Makes Big Investment in Algae Biofuels | The Heat Zone
wait, so its another way for Exxon/Mobil to make a ton of money

:lol:

Is that a problem?

Algae Biofuel. We've got the technology; now we need to make it affordable. I think it shows a lot of promise, and I plan to invest in it if and when it goes public.

Right now, we need that algae for a lot of other things. ;) It would be like when we pushed for corn oil.

Lol. Well, I wouldn't want to deprive people of their algae or anything... :razz:

Seriously, it's quite promising. It doesn't take up much space at all. Exxon's investing in it at the moment. And it's really a different concept than corn (bearing in mind I am not a science and type and my understanding is very limited...) - the process appears to be attempting to mimic the manner in which oil was developed. But since the algae consumes carbon dioxide, it helps offset the carbon dioxide being emitted when the fuel is used. I don't know the ratios on that one, though.

Actually, right now a lot of our O2 is being produced by algae, the primary reason there are rising CO2 levels is because our plant life is being killed off too quickly. Not to mention it supplies food for the fish we eat and with our over fishing they need it now more than ever. I am a big picture person, I don't see a symptom and jump to fix just that without considering all possible impacts. That's why I have a problem with the current environut methodology, they jump onto "feel good" ideas without considering the dark side to said actions.

wait, so its another way for Exxon/Mobil to make a ton of money

:lol:

Is that a problem?
not for me

Actually, right now a lot of our O2 is being produced by algae, the primary reason there are rising CO2 levels is because our plant life is being killed off too quickly. Not to mention it supplies food for the fish we eat and with our over fishing they need it now more than ever. I am a big picture person, I don't see a symptom and jump to fix just that without considering all possible impacts. That's why I have a problem with the current environut methodology, they jump onto "feel good" ideas without considering the dark side to said actions.

They aren't talking about killing off existing plant life. They're talking about breeding it on a massive scale, and using it, in essence, to balance itself out environmentally while at the same time achieving energy independence. Assuming they can make the technology viable in terms of affordability.

They aren't talking about killing off existing plant life. They're talking about breeding it on a massive scale, and using it, in essence, to balance itself out environmentally while at the same time achieving energy independence. Assuming they can make the technology viable in terms of affordability.

The one of two things will occur, that they won't tell you about until it's too late like all the others, it will take up a lot of space, or they will disrupt the ecosystem. Again, the big picture is that no matter what we do, we will change things because of how many of us there are.

Hey Dive when T Boone put his idea out there my neighbor said he was just in it for the money......I told him I didn't give a shit if Boone became the first TRILLIONAIRE if it helped us become energy independant.
well, the difference there is T Boone wanted to use tax payer dollars to make the trillion
;)
if he used his own money, he can do anything he pleases with it

Of course we'll change things. But that doesn't mean it's a destructive change. And the fact is, we're going to use energy, and we're going to run out of oil. I'm not willing to write off viable alternatives based on a gut-level "there must be something wrong with it" feeling.

The space issues were addressed in that link, btw.

For example, Glen Kertz of Valcent Products has a closed, vertical system for growing algae that he claims allows the production of 100,000 gallons of algae oil (the “ingredient” used to make algae biodiesel) per acre, as opposed to 30 to 50 gallons per acre from using corn or soybeans for biodiesel.

Assuming that's correct, of course, I don't think space will be the big issue with this particular alternative.

Hey,
I would like to put a couple of facts into the forum.

1. All of the so-called environmental energy savers don't hold a candle
to natural gas. It is 60% cleaner than petroleum and we have lots of
reserves here in North America.

2. All of this hype on how "clean" electric cars will be is just that..Hype.
Think of it, one million cars plugged in using electricity that is currently
being produced from Hydro-electric plants or coal produced energy.
So we save 100 million tons of CO2 and burn enough coal to cloud over the entire
country.

3. You tout the nuclear energy solution as "too dangerous". It is pure "climate
change" nonsense promoted by Al Gore and the environmentalists. We never had
the exposure trumpeted by the Three Mile Island "meltdown" In thirty years
we have made fantastic strides in nuclear safety, but it is "politically incorrect" and
financially unacceptable. But, we could have spent $400 billion on nuclear plants and
we would have been half way out of our dependence on Arab oil.

4 Finally, the "Cap" and Trade act passed by the House has nothing to do with protecting
the environment, it has to do with politics that actually reward the biggest polluters with
a way to avoid reducing their emissions, by buying credits frokm those who do.

If you want to have a quiet discussion, then gather the facts, then we can talk.

Assuming it's even 10% correct it sound promising.

Time will tell, I suppose. Kitten's right in that there's likely another shoe to fall somewhere, but I still believe this to be the most viable solution we've seen. I plan to keep an eye on it and invest in it if it continues to look as promising as it does right now. Cause the only thing better than good solutions are good solutions that I make money off of. :razz:

Forum List

Back