Freedom from ME oil.

Anyone who thinks a next gen nuclear power plant is ANYTHING like Three Mile are just being willfully ignorant. Does nuclear have risks.......You are damn right it does but with reprocessing tech and plants that actually produce HYDROGEN as a BYPRODUCT I think it is INSANITY to not pursue it.

I just wish that the extreme enviros would recognize that new nuke plants are NOTHING like Three Mile Island.
hell. TMI wasnt the disaster the enviroweenies claimed
nothing like chenobyl

Three Mile Island wasn't supposed to be able to happen at all. The fact that it came so very close to a catastrophic meltdown astounded everybody. Some very bad assumptions were made, assumptions that anybody in maintenance could have told you would lead to disaster.

Technology Lessons from Three Mile Island | Daily Cup of Tech

Malcolm Gladwell, Outliers, page 183One of the most famous incidents in history, for example, was the near meltdown oat Pennsylvania’s Three Mile Island nuclear station in 1979. Three Mile Island so traumatized the American public that it sent the US nuclear power industry into a tailspin from which it has never fully recovered. But what actually happened at that nuclear reactor began as something far from dramatic. As the sociologist Charles Perrow shows in his classic Normal Accidents, there was a relatively routing blockage in what is called the plant’s “polisher” - a kind of giant water filter. The blockage caused moisture to leak into the plant’s air system, inadvertently tripping two valves and shutting down the flow of cold water into the plant’s steam generator. Like all nuclear reactors, Three Mile Island had a backup cooling system for precisely this situation. But on that particular day, for reasons that no one really understands, the valves for the backup system weren’t open. Someone had closed them, and an indicator in the control room showing they were closed was blocked by a repair tag hanging from a switch above it. That left the reactor dependent on another backup system, a special sort of relief valve. But, as luck would have it, the relief valve wasn’t working properly that day either. It stuck open when it was supposed to close, and, to make matters even worse, a gauge in the control room that should have told the operators that the relief valve wasn’t working was itself not working. By the time Three Mile Island’s engineers realized what was happening, the reactor had come dangerously close to a meltdown.

No single big thing went wrong at Three Mile Island. Rather, five completely unrelated events occurred in sequence, each of which, had it happened in isolation, would have caused no more than a hiccup in the plant’s ordinary operation.

I think we need to do EVERYTHING that we can to secure our OWN sources of energy. I have even softened my stance on new drilling but it MUST be connected to more REFINING capacity which the oil cos are MORE than happy to keep right where it is.
i agree
we need to do everything we can to cover the demand we have on our own and at the same time work on alrternatives
but the government should get out of the way not do it themselves

I just wish that the extreme enviros would recognize that new nuke plants are NOTHING like Three Mile Island.
nothing like chenobyl

Three Mile Island wasn't supposed to be able to happen at all. The fact that it came so very close to a catastrophic meltdown astounded everybody. Some very bad assumptions were made, assumptions that anybody in maintenance could have told you would lead to disaster.

Malcolm Gladwell, Outliers, page 183One of the most famous incidents in history, for example, was the near meltdown oat Pennsylvania’s Three Mile Island nuclear station in 1979. Three Mile Island so traumatized the American public that it sent the US nuclear power industry into a tailspin from which it has never fully recovered. But what actually happened at that nuclear reactor began as something far from dramatic. As the sociologist Charles Perrow shows in his classic Normal Accidents, there was a relatively routing blockage in what is called the plant’s “polisher” - a kind of giant water filter. The blockage caused moisture to leak into the plant’s air system, inadvertently tripping two valves and shutting down the flow of cold water into the plant’s steam generator. Like all nuclear reactors, Three Mile Island had a backup cooling system for precisely this situation. But on that particular day, for reasons that no one really understands, the valves for the backup system weren’t open. Someone had closed them, and an indicator in the control room showing they were closed was blocked by a repair tag hanging from a switch above it. That left the reactor dependent on another backup system, a special sort of relief valve. But, as luck would have it, the relief valve wasn’t working properly that day either. It stuck open when it was supposed to close, and, to make matters even worse, a gauge in the control room that should have told the operators that the relief valve wasn’t working was itself not working. By the time Three Mile Island’s engineers realized what was happening, the reactor had come dangerously close to a meltdown.

No single big thing went wrong at Three Mile Island. Rather, five completely unrelated events occurred in sequence, each of which, had it happened in isolation, would have caused no more than a hiccup in the plant’s ordinary operation.

... and the Titanic was unsinkable.

Nuclear has a bad name in this nation because of the people that sold it. They sold it to us as so cheap we wouldn't have to meter it. And that it was completely safe. Well, it turned out to be damned expensive. And Three Mile Island was a damned close thing. It is not liberals that killed nuclear, it was nuclear advocates that made wild claims.

Nuclear has a very definate place in our energy future, as does wind, solar, geothermal, and other methods. Cost and availability will determine much of what is used where. Right now, wind is one of the cheapest, on overall costs, as is geothermal. Solar, by what a little Oregon company has developed, may soon be the cheapest of all. There is a hugh area in the US that is just begging for solar. They are called roofs. And every industrial and commericial complex has acres of them. Not only that, on residential, it would solve the problem of where the power for our electric vehicles is to come from.

There is no singe 'best' method. The availability of local sources will determine what is best where.

Close? Three Mile Island close? Do you even pay attention to how many lives are lost for coal?

A great many in mining it, and a great many more in breathing the pollution resulting from it.

Develop all avenues of alternative energy, yes. But do not do so at the detriment of our economy. Drill, baby, drill for the oil that is currently where we have land (like ANWR) in conjunction with the development of these alternatives.

Algae Biofuel. We've got the technology; now we need to make it affordable. I think it shows a lot of promise, and I plan to invest in it if and when it goes public.

Nuclear has a bad name in this nation because of the people that sold it. They sold it to us as so cheap we wouldn't have to meter it. And that it was completely safe. Well, it turned out to be damned expensive. And Three Mile Island was a damned close thing. It is not liberals that killed nuclear, it was nuclear advocates that made wild claims.

Nuclear has a very definate place in our energy future, as does wind, solar, geothermal, and other methods. Cost and availability will determine much of what is used where. Right now, wind is one of the cheapest, on overall costs, as is geothermal. Solar, by what a little Oregon company has developed, may soon be the cheapest of all. There is a hugh area in the US that is just begging for solar. They are called roofs. And every industrial and commericial complex has acres of them. Not only that, on residential, it would solve the problem of where the power for our electric vehicles is to come from.

There is no singe 'best' method. The availability of local sources will determine what is best where.

Close? Three Mile Island close? Do you even pay attention to how many lives are lost for coal?

A great many in mining it, and a great many more in breathing the pollution resulting from it.

So ... one close call, that we can now prevent and which would have cause a few minor dangers for maybe 5 years is worse than thousands dying for what we currently have? I thought I was twisted.

Algae Biofuel. We've got the technology; now we need to make it affordable. I think it shows a lot of promise, and I plan to invest in it if and when it goes public.

Right now, we need that algae for a lot of other things. ;) It would be like when we pushed for corn oil.

If we just mandated that new houses in hot climates have a solar panel it would make great amounts of energy and as somebody pointed out earlier that energy would be produced during PEAK demand. Anyone remember the "Brown outs" in Cal a few years ago? That would NEVER happen if even 10% of houses had solar power.

nothing like chenobyl

Almost sounds like sabotage.

If we just mandated that new houses in hot climates have a solar panel it would make great amounts of energy and as somebody pointed out earlier that energy would be produced during PEAK demand. Anyone remember the "Brown outs" in Cal a few years ago? That would NEVER happen if even 10% of houses had solar power.

There's the problem ... mandates ... take away the freedom and ruin capitalism just to hand a few companies and rich people who didn't earn their money our money by force ... that's stupid.

There's the problem ... mandates ... take away the freedom and ruin capitalism just to hand a few companies and rich people who didn't earn their money our money by force ... that's stupid.
not to mention the hazardous materials needed in the manufacture of solar panels

not to mention the hazardous materials needed in the manufacture of solar panels

You know they ignore the fact that all the "green" stuff produces more pollution than any other option, that's why they have to force it on people.

I still think the BEST way to get plants online by 2020 is to have the gov't build them and then lease to power cos. The FACT is gov't can get past MANY problems faced by private development. Eminent domain ring any bells?

The government can't do squat without thinking with their wallets ...

I still think the BEST way to get plants online by 2020 is to have the gov't build them and then lease to power cos. The FACT is gov't can get past MANY problems faced by private development. Eminent domain ring any bells?

The government can't do squat without thinking with their wallets ...

Wrong-o there KK.

The government can't do squat without thinking with OUR wallets .

Right now, we need that algae for a lot of other things. ;) It would be like when we pushed for corn oil.

Lol. Well, I wouldn't want to deprive people of their algae or anything... :razz:

Seriously, it's quite promising. It doesn't take up much space at all. Exxon's investing in it at the moment. And it's really a different concept than corn (bearing in mind I am not a science and type and my understanding is very limited...) - the process appears to be attempting to mimic the manner in which oil was developed. But since the algae consumes carbon dioxide, it helps offset the carbon dioxide being emitted when the fuel is used. I don't know the ratios on that one, though.

Exxon Makes Big Investment in Algae Biofuels | The Heat Zone

Lol. Well, I wouldn't want to deprive people of their algae or anything... :razz:

Seriously, it's quite promising. It doesn't take up much space at all. Exxon's investing in it at the moment. And it's really a different concept than corn (bearing in mind I am not a science and type and my understanding is very limited...) - the process appears to be attempting to mimic the manner in which oil was developed. But since the algae consumes carbon dioxide, it helps offset the carbon dioxide being emitted when the fuel is used. I don't know the ratios on that one, though.

Exxon Makes Big Investment in Algae Biofuels | The Heat Zone
wait, so its another way for Exxon/Mobil to make a ton of money

:lol:

Forum List

Back