Freedom from ME oil.

The only thing about Nuclear is that I feel like we're going backwards instead of forwards.

They give terrorists another target, and create a pretty bad waste situation, on where no one, even the place in Nevada we're designing, want to take the waste.

I like the idea of not buying oil from the people who are terrorists, lowing the price of oil generally by not using nearly as much of it, for those of us who'll still be using it in the future. That will be, of course, most of us, since plastics, cosmetics, shingles, and all sorts of other petroleum based products will always be with us in some form.

The really great thing about solar, other than the clean aspect, is that it decentralizes the production of electricity. In the South in particular, they work best when they are needed the most, on really hot, sunny days, they are producing like crazy, just when all of our air conditioners are turned up full blast. If there is one my heat rash and I do not want to give up is AC.

Windmills and solar farms in the desert have small downsides, and though I certainly care about nature, my BS detector tells me that, sure a few birds will be knocked down, and maybe some desert dwellers will have some very localized problems, but in general, it sounds like a great thing to put in a desert, a huge plant, producing power.

Plus there's that unofficial unemployment rate of 19 percent. Build those grids, build many solar plants, and inverter plants, and get the price down where I don't have to pay almost as much as my little house is worth to put them on my southern-facing roof surfaces.

Wow ... you haven't been keeping up to date much, or you swallowed propaganda hook, line and sinker. There is a waste facility that is wasting money right now being empty. You also don't know much abut environmental impacts of these "clean" energy sources. Let me guess to, you think that Chernobyl can happen here as well? :eusa_whistle:

The only thing about Nuclear is that I feel like we're going backwards instead of forwards.

They give terrorists another target, and create a pretty bad waste situation, on where no one, even the place in Nevada we're designing, want to take the waste.

I like the idea of not buying oil from the people who are terrorists, lowing the price of oil generally by not using nearly as much of it, for those of us who'll still be using it in the future. That will be, of course, most of us, since plastics, cosmetics, shingles, and all sorts of other petroleum based products will always be with us in some form.

The really great thing about solar, other than the clean aspect, is that it decentralizes the production of electricity. In the South in particular, they work best when they are needed the most, on really hot, sunny days, they are producing like crazy, just when all of our air conditioners are turned up full blast. If there is one my heat rash and I do not want to give up is AC.

Windmills and solar farms in the desert have small downsides, and though I certainly care about nature, my BS detector tells me that, sure a few birds will be knocked down, and maybe some desert dwellers will have some very localized problems, but in general, it sounds like a great thing to put in a desert, a huge plant, producing power.

Plus there's that unofficial unemployment rate of 19 percent. Build those grids, build many solar plants, and inverter plants, and get the price down where I don't have to pay almost as much as my little house is worth to put them on my southern-facing roof surfaces.

well pelosi won't allow no solar panels in her desert, and kennedy won't allow no wind tunnels in his bay,, so now whatcha gonna do??

Nuclear and at some point fusion technolgy is the future. Nuclear power now yields more power per square foot than almost any other system available.

Wind and solar should be used small scale. A wind turbine on the roof of your house is just fine. YOu don't need a forty foot freaking prop for that. Wind turbines have been around for years. Solar is to some extent depedent on the amount of available sunlight in a given region at a given time of year. All the next generation solar may completely change the shape of the traditional panel.

The problem is Mid that I don't think a private co could get the kind of money they need to build one. That and the fact that the FED could get past most of the red tape if they were serious about nuclear power.

Why would you see it as a bad thing if the FED builds them and then leases them to power cos?
Money is not the problem. Red tape is.

Locally, there's a cat named George Chapman who is trying to get regulatory approval for a Nuclear power station here. Money isn't his issue, at all.

The bolded part of your post above is your problem. You are "feeling" instead of thinking.

And it's clear you didn't read my post from before:

>Clicky<

I would like to have an honest, fair, and POLITE debate about energy policy including plug in electric cars and other alt energy cars. I would also like to discuss new ways of producing energy and the idea of new nuclear power plants to supply our energy until such a time as we can get ALL our power from solar sources.

ONCE AGAIN I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THIS THREAD FRIENDLY!

We use twice as much energy per capita as most other countries. We waste a lot of energy. Conservation would be a good place to start.

Well o.k. OZZ a bit of an extremist yourself then hmmm? But let's try to come up with some solutions here. I think that when the electric car becomes cheaper that eveyone should at least CONSIDER replacing one of their households cars with a plug in. I also beleive that we need 10-20 nuke plants by 2020 and I think the only way to do that is for the FED to build them.

You mean like the fed build social security:lol: Only CAPITALISM can fix the problem the FED needs to get the HELL OUT OF THE WAY...............DRILL, DRILL, DRILL:clap2:

Well o.k. OZZ a bit of an extremist yourself then hmmm? But let's try to come up with some solutions here. I think that when the electric car becomes cheaper that eveyone should at least CONSIDER replacing one of their households cars with a plug in. I also beleive that we need 10-20 nuke plants by 2020 and I think the only way to do that is for the FED to build them.
WHY do people think that? It's nonsensical! NO cars have EVER become cheaper! EVER! No matter how many are made!

You're buying into the nonsensical comparison to home electronics? That the "brick" cellphone used to be 4000 bucks? That's silly in every way! THINK about it.

When carbon nanotubes are perfected, that will change everything as far as the efficiency of solar cells.

We aren't that far away.

It's my opinion that the key to ending this nations slavery to OPEC and I say slavery because each and everytime these nations control prices on oil they control the economy. Other factors with OPEC involve the financing of terrorist groups and weapons systems that would otherwise these nations would have a hard time funding without it. It's very true that the United States is the worlds largest consumer of energy and all good energy policies must start with smart conservation methods. The simple act of turning off a light when not needed all the way to higher fuel standards for automobiles.

One of the best ways to end our this connection to foreign oil is to advocate for an "all in" plan that takes into consideration every technology that the United States can bring to this situation. Those include nuclear generating stations akin to the size of palo verde that serves large metro areas with associated reprocessing facilites, as well as residental solar, commerical wind to service small and medium markets. Further, the power grid must be a distributed grid that will take advantage of power when needed , wherever needed. Inconjunction this nation can legislate a transportation system that promotes the use of EV and plug-in's as well as alternate fuels for aviation and advanced fossil fuels that are produced domestically. One thing to consider. one nuclear power plant can produce the same amout of energy as all the current wind turbines currently installed in the United States. and with the advent of even newer nuclear plants like the small reactors they will take less time to build and even cost less and provide enough energy to end this need for our nation to beg for energy from those that don't like us very much. Solar power, while a clean and abundant energy source can be a key part in this solution and it's my contention that distributed solar i.e. solar panels in roofing, etc will add even further to this efficiency. In smaller communties that are in high wind areas. wind makes a viable alternative, in conjunction with EVERY technology to also ending this dependance. The bottom line here though is that both sides of this issue must work together to get to this goal rather than short sighted narrow views that each have held for so long because all have something to offer and once done then we will have an energy policy that is not only good for the nation, but is also environmenatlly friendly too,

You mean like the fed build social security:lol: Only CAPITALISM can fix the problem the FED needs to get the HELL OUT OF THE WAY...............DRILL, DRILL, DRILL:clap2:

Fucking stupid, Ozz. We have less than 3% of the known reserves in the world, and use 25% of the petroleum. And don't even start the idiocy about the oil shales. Technologically unfeasable, and economically impossible.

Fucking stupid, Ozz. We have less than 3% of the known reserves in the world, and use 25% of the petroleum. And don't even start the idiocy about the oil shales. Technologically unfeasable, and economically impossible.

No, we supply less than 3% ... there is more oil below us, just no one lets us drill for it.

Nuclear has a bad name in this nation because of the people that sold it. They sold it to us as so cheap we wouldn't have to meter it. And that it was completely safe. Well, it turned out to be damned expensive. And Three Mile Island was a damned close thing. It is not liberals that killed nuclear, it was nuclear advocates that made wild claims.

Nuclear has a very definate place in our energy future, as does wind, solar, geothermal, and other methods. Cost and availability will determine much of what is used where. Right now, wind is one of the cheapest, on overall costs, as is geothermal. Solar, by what a little Oregon company has developed, may soon be the cheapest of all. There is a hugh area in the US that is just begging for solar. They are called roofs. And every industrial and commericial complex has acres of them. Not only that, on residential, it would solve the problem of where the power for our electric vehicles is to come from.

There is no singe 'best' method. The availability of local sources will determine what is best where.

Nuclear has a bad name in this nation because of the people that sold it. They sold it to us as so cheap we wouldn't have to meter it. And that it was completely safe. Well, it turned out to be damned expensive. And Three Mile Island was a damned close thing. It is not liberals that killed nuclear, it was nuclear advocates that made wild claims.

Nuclear has a very definate place in our energy future, as does wind, solar, geothermal, and other methods. Cost and availability will determine much of what is used where. Right now, wind is one of the cheapest, on overall costs, as is geothermal. Solar, by what a little Oregon company has developed, may soon be the cheapest of all. There is a hugh area in the US that is just begging for solar. They are called roofs. And every industrial and commericial complex has acres of them. Not only that, on residential, it would solve the problem of where the power for our electric vehicles is to come from.

There is no singe 'best' method. The availability of local sources will determine what is best where.

Close? Three Mile Island close? Do you even pay attention to how many lives are lost for coal?

nuclear has a bad name in this nation because of the people that sold it. They sold it to us as so cheap we wouldn't have to meter it. And that it was completely safe. Well, it turned out to be damned expensive. And three mile island was a damned close thing. It is not liberals that killed nuclear, it was nuclear advocates that made wild claims.

Nuclear has a very definate place in our energy future, as does wind, solar, geothermal, and other methods. Cost and availability will determine much of what is used where. Right now, wind is one of the cheapest, on overall costs, as is geothermal. Solar, by what a little oregon company has developed, may soon be the cheapest of all. There is a hugh area in the us that is just begging for solar. They are called roofs. And every industrial and commericial complex has acres of them. Not only that, on residential, it would solve the problem of where the power for our electric vehicles is to come from.

^^^^
see!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately the government will tell you what you you can use anyway.

No, we supply less than 3% ... there is more oil below us, just no one lets us drill for it.

LOL. My sweet little kitten, that figure is from known reserves, not a production figure.

Who has the oil? | Energy Bulletin

Forum List

Back