Free Weights or Resistance Machines

I have always preferred free weights. They give the best range of motion. Since my back went out my doctor says only machines. I can tell the difference.

I have always preferred free weights. They give the best range of motion. Since my back went out my doctor says only machines. I can tell the difference.
Since my back went out 30 years ago, I've pretty much stuck to the Nautilus type machines. I will do reverse curls with a curl bar standing up. But, I'm very careful to use my core muscles and not hold my breath when lifting. See, after age 50, you can cause a heart attack with free weights easily by holding your breath as you lift. Same is true on the machines but it's easier not to hold your breath on the machines. Very important.

Other than in advertising materials, I've never seen a muscular man who preferred resistance machines.

I'm personally fond of Nautilus stuff. It doesn't work to build muscles, as far as I can tell.

Other than in advertising materials, I've never seen a muscular man who preferred resistance machines.

I'm personally fond of Nautilus stuff. It doesn't work to build muscles, as far as I can tell.
Sure it does. But the machines isolate the muscle and does nothing for the stablizing muscles. I’ve been able to keep my strength up pretty good with machines and I’m 70 years old.

I use both plus some cardio.

Free weights. I can press the whole stack on a machine.

Here's the thing though: The real resistance is only a little over half of the weights, because there's a pulley. ;)

Since my back went out 30 years ago, I've pretty much stuck to the Nautilus type machines. I will do reverse curls with a curl bar standing up. But, I'm very careful to use my core muscles and not hold my breath when lifting. See, after age 50, you can cause a heart attack with free weights easily by holding your breath as you lift. Same is true on the machines but it's easier not to hold your breath on the machines. Very important.
I did not know that. Thanks. Although all free weights are foreclosed to me now.

I do a variety of things including some free weights but not with a lot of weight no more 135 and I'm 205. But I'll keep the hold your breath thing in mind thanks.

I did not know that. Thanks. Although all free weights are foreclosed to me now.
One other thing about gyms. Going into a sauna or jacuzzi after a hard workout keeps the heart pumping hard but your body isn’t moving. If there’s any weakness in the vena cava the vein will explode. Happens to people over 50.

Since my back went out 30 years ago, I've pretty much stuck to the Nautilus type machines. I will do reverse curls with a curl bar standing up. But, I'm very careful to use my core muscles and not hold my breath when lifting. See, after age 50, you can cause a heart attack with free weights easily by holding your breath as you lift. Same i true on the machines but it's easier not to hold your breath on the machines. Very important.
What about holding yer breathe to fart?

One other thing about gyms. Going into a sauna or jacuzzi after a hard workout keeps the heart pumping hard but your body isn’t moving. If there’s any weakness in the vena cava the vein will explode. Happens to people over 50.
I don't use either one. So no worries.

I was a weight lifter starting at thirteen years of age and had to stop at sixty years of age because of spinal problems.

Free weights.

There’s a reason actual powerlifting meets or Olympic lifting never included machines. Lifting weights is supposed to be about using your own body, not pulleys and other assistive mechanical means

Plus, when you lift with free weights, you have to use stabilizer muscles. A much better workout

Forum List

Back