Free Internet at Your Expense for Low Income Families

What Do You Think of Providing Free Internet etc. for Low Income Families?

• Sure. Why not? Give them all of it.

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • OK for free internet etc. IF non educational sites are blocked.

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Federal government charity for any cause is a bad idea.

Votes: 35 54.7%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 13 20.3%

• Total voters
If you could escape poverty via the internet DUmmie there wouldn't be any poverty. Just click "ESCAPE"

gawd how do people get so DUMB?

Maybe if they discontinued their cell phones, sold the expensive set of rims on the car, gave up smoking, or whatever they could afford their own internet service, computers, etc.

Another bullshit liberal proposal that fiscally strapped cities, states, or federal government don't have money to waste on.

Some people can afford things other people can't. That's friggin' life. Deal with it.

Internet access is neither a right nor a necessity. The government has no right using my money to provide it to anyone.

Internet access is neither a right nor a necessity. The government has no right using my money to provide it to anyone.

Democracy in Iraq is neither their right nor a necessity, the government has no right using my money to provide it to them. However, Internet access is going to cost you .13/year. How much will our invasion, occupation and nation building in Iraq ultimately cost you? Not to mention the loss of 4,000 American lives....

How much is this program costing the individual taxpayer?

You tell me. $2.1 million to provide free internet service plus some other perks for one low income housing project in Tampa Fl. How much would that be if all low income housing projects in Florida are included. In all of the southeast? In all of the south? In all of the country?

The point isn't so much the amount allocated for this project but the precedent being set and the implications of that.

That works out to just over .13/taxpayer based on filings from 2009. Yes, I think I can handle paying an additional .13/year for this program.

I think your math is a little off if you count only those who are actually working and paying into the national treasury without getting back most or more than they pay in. And again you are only counting one U.S. city. Add in ALL the U.S. cities and I think you'll be looking at paying a substantial amount every year to fund such a program.

Ya, well, I see your point but I'm not outraged. If even one family uses the 'net to escape poverty, good on them.

The problem is that you have diverted resources that could have made a difference for millions to help that one as well as promoting more graft and corruption in government and among many beneficiaries of the program. That's a crappy and destructive way to run a program. Those of you who want to help that one would be way ahead to just do that out of pocket and leave the government out of it.

Last edited:

Democracy in Iraq is neither their right nor a necessity, the government has no right using my money to provide it to them. However, Internet access is going to cost you .13/year. How much will our invasion, occupation and nation building in Iraq ultimately cost you? Not to mention the loss of 4,000 American lives....

Oh for fuck's sake Yank. Ever heard of staying on topic?

You tell me. $2.1 million to provide free internet service plus some other perks for one low income housing project in Tampa Fl. How much would that be if all low income housing projects in Florida are included. In all of the southeast? In all of the south? In all of the country?

The point isn't so much the amount allocated for this project but the precedent being set and the implications of that.

That works out to just over .13/taxpayer based on filings from 2009. Yes, I think I can handle paying an additional .13/year for this program.

I think your math is a little off if you count only those who are actually working and paying into the national treasury without getting back most or more than they pay in. And again you are only counting one U.S. city. Add in ALL the U.S. cities and I think you'll be looking at paying a substantial amount every year to fund such a program.

$2.1M (per you) for the cost of the program in FL divided by the number of tax filers in 2009 (156M) equals just over .13/filer. Where is my math off?

well if it only cost .13/year let the poor people pay for their own. sheesh. they could give up one joint and afford internet.

Oh for fuck's sake Yank. Ever heard of staying on topic?

Ever heard of making a mountain out of a mole hill? Who gives a shit about an extra .13 in additional taxes for this program when we and our children and their children will be paying through the nose for nation building in Iraq???

Cabrini%20Green%20social%20housing%20in%20Chicago%20(3).jpg

This used to be a nice building. It was built to house people at low or no cost to them.

Look what happened to it.

Wow. We must have completed solved the homeless and hunger problem in this country if we are already thinking of subsidizing luxury services. :woohoo:

Thanks, Daveman...from your link:

At the same time, the cash-strapped city began withdrawing crucial services like police patrols, transit services, and routine building maintenance. Lawns were paved over to save on maintenance, failed lights were left for months, and apartments damaged by fire were simply boarded up instead of rehabilitated and reoccupied. Later phases of public housing development (such as the Green Homes, the newest of the Cabrini–Green buildings) were built on extremely tight budgets and suffered from maintenance problems due to the low quality of construction.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back