Free higher educaton is investment in our future as a nation.

Our government will buckle under the weight of bloated education costs, the same way it is under medicare. Already the govt involvement in higher education has caused costs to rise at three times the rate of inflation. In the event govt fully funds education, the real costs will end up increasing faster and faster.

Our government will buckle under the weight of bloated education costs, the same way it is under medicare. Already the govt involvement in higher education has caused costs to rise at three times the rate of inflation. In the event govt fully funds education, the real costs will end up increasing faster and faster.

Exactly. Student loan debt has now topped $1 trillion. It's the next bubble to burst. The increase in defaults are already beginning.

I gather you went to school a long time ago because unless you come from an exceptionally wealthy family, doing what you did is virtually impossible today. I got my Bachelor's and my MBA both while I was working full time and there was no way I could have paid for them without college loan assistance. Tuition today has simply gotten too expensive. Even community college is becoming less affordable.

This is certainly admirable.

I wonder, is your premise that college must be completed on a set time table?

It took me seven years to get my Bachelor's Degree. I got my MBA last year.

Thank you.

Based on this, I'll bet you don't see graduation tied to a particular time frame. Therefore, why couldn't students do as you did, take more time, and pay their own way?

And with colleges such as Ozarks, students can graduate debt-free.

Average college debt is as follows:
Bachelor's Public Four-year 58 $14,671
Private Four-year 69 $17,125
ACE | "How much student loan debt does the average student accumulate?"

Taking 7-8 years to graduate, why are these amounts not feasible?

The problem is that a free higher education does not teach the young that anything worth having is worth working for.

So we should get rid of all public education? After all, getting it free doesn't teach them that it's worth having.

That would be one extreme, which I do not agree with.
Provide them with college sponsored jobs to help them work their way thru college or trade school.

people on minimum wage can't even put a roof over their heads, how the heck are they going to be able to go to college???????

Do you mean the whopping 2% of employed people making that salary, most of whom are under 18?

FYI the median annual income of all workers in the USA is like $21,00

That's mean 50% of the workers make less than $10.05 per hour!

Try paying for a life and higher education on that.

The problem is that a free higher education does not teach the young that anything worth having is worth working for.

So we should get rid of all public education? After all, getting it free doesn't teach them that it's worth having.

Poor comparison. Children aren't capable of taking care of themselves. Raising them and providing them with an education is a parental responsibility. Furthermore, education of minors is compulsory in all 50 states. Higher education is a choice and an opportunity and not everyone needs it anyway to succeed in life.

people on minimum wage can't even put a roof over their heads, how the heck are they going to be able to go to college???????

Do you mean the whopping 2% of employed people making that salary, most of whom are under 18?

The median household income in the U.S. as of 2009 was slightly under $50k

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0691.pdf

The median household income in the U.S. as of 2009 was slightly under $50k

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0691.pdf

but that was figured in before cell phone bills.

Provide them with college sponsored jobs to help them work their way thru college or trade school.

I have no problems with that. Currently they have no such programs and it's impossible for someone on mw to work their way through college.

Poor comparison. Children aren't capable of taking care of themselves. Raising them and providing them with an education is a parental responsibility. Furthermore, education of minors is compulsory in all 50 states. Higher education is a choice and an opportunity and not everyone needs it anyway to succeed in life.

Once upon a time, you could get a job out of highschool that would provide a living wage for you and your family. Since that is no longer possible, we need to either raise the mw so that people can afford to pay for their own college, or pay for it for them. The alternative is a 3rd world nation...of course, that's pretty much what the rich want anyway....which is why the middle class is declining.

I have no problems with that. Currently they have no such programs and it's impossible for someone on mw to work their way through college.

So who pays for the program?

Once upon a time, you could get a job out of highschool that would provide a living wage for you and your family. Since that is no longer possible, we need to either raise the mw so that people can afford to pay for their own college, or pay for it for them. The alternative is a 3rd world nation...of course, that's pretty much what the rich want anyway....which is why the middle class is declining.

I'd like to know when you could get a living wage coming out of high school. I graduated out of HS in the mid 60s, it was really hard to get anything higher than MW.

Saying the rich want a 3rd world economy is really stupid, why would they want a bunch of poor people who can't afford to buy anything?

I'd like to know when you could get a living wage coming out of high school. I graduated out of HS in the mid 60s, it was really hard to get anything higher than MW.

Saying the rich want a 3rd world economy is really stupid, why would they want a bunch of poor people who can't afford to buy anything?

You don't remember the steel factories? The mills? The textile factories? The television factories? Washers? Dryers? Ovens? All the things that used to be made in the good old US of A, and those factories paid a living wage.

BTW, When you graduated from highschool mw had the highest spending power in history. It was, in effect, a living wage. You could have your own apartment AND go to college part time back then, something that can't be done on mw today.

You don't remember the steel factories? The mills? The textile factories? The television factories? Washers? Dryers? Ovens? All the things that used to be made in the good old US of A, and those factories paid a living wage.

BTW, When you graduated from highschool mw had the highest spending power in history. It was, in effect, a living wage. You could have your own apartment AND go to college part time back then, something that can't be done on mw today.

Are you freakin' kidding me? LOL, MW in 1966 was about $1.50 an hour, you think anybody had their own apartment and went to school on that?

Yeah, I remember those factories, you didn't start at a "living wage" at those places, and it was a bitch getting in the door. You had to know somebody, otherwise forget it.

Well posted. I see the same thing at UBC campus as well. I have never before seen so many students co-opting (cooperative) summer and full semesters.

Last edited:

Are you freakin' kidding me? LOL, MW in 1966 was about $1.50 an hour, you think anybody had their own apartment and went to school on that?

Yeah, I remember those factories, you didn't start at a "living wage" at those places, and it was a bitch getting in the door. You had to know somebody, otherwise forget it.

In 1968, my brother worked a mw job, paid for his own apart, bought a car and took classes at the community college part time. Yeah, think people had their own apartments and went to school on that, I knew several of them.

Once upon a time, you could get a job out of high school that would provide a living wage for you and your family. Since that is no longer possible, we need to either raise the mw so that people can afford to pay for their own college, or pay for it for them. The alternative is a 3rd world nation...of course, that's pretty much what the rich want anyway....which is why the middle class is declining.

Explain how the alternative is a third world nation.

Not everyone is cut out for the rigor of college. This is not a "left/right" issue, it is a well known fact. If you polled a group of high school teachers (those who understand the educational system) the VAST majority would oppose "College for All" In fact, that philosophy has been more harmful to our students (and our country) than any other "educational initiative" that has come down the pike. We are setting half of them up for failure and disappointment. We are delaying adulthood and preparing them for nothing. Not to mention the price tag. We need vocational programs back in our high schools where non academic kids can be trained to actually make a living wage in something they may actually enjoy. Imagine that.

Forum List

Back