Free higher educaton is investment in our future as a nation.

Discussion in 'Economy' started by LilOlLady, Nov 15, 2011.

1. LilOlLady

LilOlLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +761
    FREE HIGHER EDUCATON IS INVESTMENT IN OUR FUTURE AS A NATION.

College education or trade school should be free for high school graduates with a desire to go to school. Who want to become teachers, doctors, nurses and medical technicians, farmers and for future farmers who are our life line. Even under Saddam primary education was mandatory and higher education free and the took care of his military and families with land allotments and other benefits for life. But we shot that all to hell with our invasion to force democracy down their throats and take the oil.
    We are forcing democracy down the throats of other nations to give them more freedom but democracy takes much of our freedom away.
    Investing in our children is a benefit for us all and our nation’s future. A generous supply of doctors, nurses and other medical services will bring down the cost of medical care and provide good medical care. Our future depends on our children. We need to bring back Head Start, CETA, Job Corp, etc. This is not the time to cut taxes, cut regulation and cut Government spending. These are the things that got us in this recession in the first place. More people trained to work means more Government revenue and more money for government to re-invest in our nation. GOP congress is hell bent on destroying this country at any cost.
    We need to make peace with our enemies and not war. Jesus said; “Be peaceable with all men.” and we must keep our friends close and our enemies even closer.
    To invest in the future of this nation we all must pitch in. this is not the time to cut Government spending, cut taxes or cut regulation.

2. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    I agree, but a lot of people who have those higher educations don't want to pay for anyone else to get them.

3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,413
    Can you imagine the slackers this would attract? For all the folks who pay for higher education, few go on to be such doctors, nurses, teachers.

If high school grads want something free, they can enlist in the military.

4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,733
    Another group of people that feel like the taxpayers owe them a free ride. Ever hear of personal responsibility and doing things for yourself? I have two college degrees and I paid for them myself - no student loans or any of that nonsense. I did it the old fashioned way. Worked and went to school. Seems that nobody mentions the fact that it is acceptable for students to work their way through school. Everybody wants the free ride and it's disgusting.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. dnsmith35

dnsmith35 Take me as I am

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I believe we should model our education program after some in Europe. On entering high school students are pointed to different goals IAW their aptitude and abilities. Some are tracked to University and some or tracked to trades. That doesn't stop someone who is tracked to a trade from attending University, but only if their high school work justifies it. The tendency for such a high proportion of high school graduates going to college in the US waters down the value and virtually requires college for even basic jobs.

6. hortysir

hortysir In Memorial of 47

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    Poor people can't invest.

Poor families can't diversify their investements.

Poor countries can't invest in SHIT.

psst.......

:eusa_shhh:
    We are broke and there is no such thing as free

7. Leweman

Leweman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +737
    Today, higher education is less important than a trade education like plumbing and electrician. Some worthless degree in liberal arts from Vanderbilt won't do you much good when everyone can do what you do regardless of the school you went to. Sorry! Just a product of our society. The rising education costs aren't even close to being worth earning potential.

8. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    When exactly did you work and go to school? It was a possibility in the 70's, even in the 80's, but today with rising tuition and lowering of wages, it's impossible.

Used to be, with a highschool education, you could get a job and feed your family and grow. Not anymore. Our educational system needs to change with the times. When you are through with your free public education, you should be able to get a job with a living wage.

9. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    I have no problems with such and educational system.

10. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    One simple question: WHO THE FUCK IS GOING TO PAY FOR IT?

I can hear it coming - tax the rich! Just how much more money do you think you can get, do you really think you can pay for all the goodies you want.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1