Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

I guess a wait and see or hear otherwise must come then... Fair enough..
The amount of mandatory data to be collected is not a long list on those things. But they do gather data from the NMEA bus, and I'm sure some of that equipment was not online because it was running on AC.

So the VDR could be polling and waiting for a response from some of it's sensors, which could (in theory anyway) delay when it starts recording again.

That is true that course corrections are sometimes necessary.
But in this example wouldn't a course correction to Port be advisable?

If they knew they would lose rudder, yes.

What I’m talking about is if they lost rudder while making a minor course adjustment to starboard. In that case the vessel would continue a starboard turn by inertia.
Thank you for considering the question, it shows that you're not in denial of the facts of the situation

That may be true, or it might not. The computer could be programmed to return the helm to neutral.
But again, this indicates that you are thinking!

There may be other reasons for the course change to starboard that are completely innocent.
Possibly, though I don’t know what that might be.

The way that bow swung that quick looks like a bow thruster came on, but we'll probably never know what happened. Those things can't turn stop on a dime and that's why tugs usually accompany them. I wonder if the crew has been dispersed already. The issue of negligence at least needs to be resolved.

In a few minutes of panic anything can happen. The fact that traffic got stopped in minutes was a miracle in itself. A anchor dropped in 2 minutes the same.

All and all they did well in a matter of 2 minutes. The Mechanical issue caused this accident.

None of them guys wanted to be front page news on look who they killed hitting that bridge.

The second and larger course change to starboard remains unanswered and uninteresting to most..
We can put that down to either ignorance or denial. Time to move on.

First ship passes through alternate channel in Baltimore Harbor six days after the Key Bridge collapse.

See the 56 second video by 'X' that is posted! That ship steered deliberately exactly into the bridge support!

Note we need to understand that the 'ship' steered and not necessarily somebody on board the ship steered.

This short video illustrates how it all happened better than any other obstructed views of the incident/accident.

A second temp channel was opened yesterday that is 15' deep.

Sonar images of the collapsed bridge:

Keep in mind that the images released do not show the entirety of the bridge under water.

1712163872876.png

1712163888641.png

1712163904742.png

1712163915314.png

The first ship through appears to be a fully laden tanker that draws more than 15 feet of water. The stated depth of the new channel has to be a minimum of 15 feet at lowest low water, which would make the channel somewhat deeper.

25 feet at high water?

The first ship through appears to be a fully laden tanker that draws more than 15 feet of water. The stated depth of the new channel has to be a minimum of 15 feet at lowest low water, which would make the channel somewhat deeper.

25 feet at high water?
Fuel barge. Have them where I live, the nav channel is 15' minimum for those type ships/barges, they draft 9 or 10 feet, I think the container ships need deeper channels. Savannah River is about 40 feet and they want to take it to 43 or 45.

Fuel barge. Have them where I live, the nav channel is 15' minimum for those type ships/barges, they draft 9 or 10 feet, I think the container ships need deeper channels. Savannah River is about 40 feet and they want to take it to 43 or 45.
Good catch Dell. It wasn't a ship after all.

More on the channels:

April 2 (Reuters) - Recovery teams opened a second channel enabling smaller vessels to navigate the Port of Baltimore on Tuesday but most commercial shipping remains blocked by the collapsed bridge and stranded container ship that brought the structure down a week ago.
A team including the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the state of Maryland announced crews had cleared a channel with a depth of 14 feet (4.3 meters), similar to the 11-foot channel opened on the opposite side of the wreckage on Monday.

The main channel has been blocked since the fully loaded container ship Dali lost power and rammed into a support column of the Francis Scott Key Bridge a week ago, killing six road workers and causing the highway bridge to tumble into the Patapsco River.
The two auxiliary channels have enabled access for emergency vessels, tugs and barges, but officials said they would need to clear bridge debris before opening the main channel, which is 50 feet (15 meters) deep. Major cargo ships need a depth of at least 35 feet, Maryland Governor Wes Moore told a news conference.

25 feet at high water?
That was a fuel barge, and it was drawing 2 ft. according to the markings on the stern.

The highest tide in Baltimore harbor over the last 12 months was a +2.1.

Forum List

Back