France leads ... sort of

France decided not to jump in without any guarantees and a decent mandate. Perhaps this can prevent previous failures by the UN such as Rwanda, when they let 10 of their own die so everyone runs away and let hundred of thousands die.

As for the Patton quote about the French army, never been proven. There is proof however of Patton cabling General Koenig (French commander of the FFI) that he would never have gotten as fast that far in France without their aid.

Helllloooo! France is the one that set the 'parameters' and 'mandates.' Now, they should have to live with them. That was the point. The US will sit back and watch how this all goes now. ;)

France decided not to jump in without any guarantees and a decent mandate. Perhaps this can prevent previous failures by the UN such as Rwanda, when they let 10 of their own die so everyone runs away and let hundred of thousands die.

As for the Patton quote about the French army, never been proven. There is proof however of Patton cabling General Koenig (French commander of the FFI) that he would never have gotten as fast that far in France without their aid.

You just keep on dreaming there, Marshal Petain. Patton was going wherever the Hell he wanted and if any French were involved, he probably got slowed down.

Matter of fact, I find your assertion entirely absurd. TWICE we have had to intervene and return your country to you; otherwise, you'd be German twice-over. Both victories could have been obtained without even a single French participant.

Three guys, an Englishman, a Frenchman and an American are out walking along the beach together one day. They come across a lantern and a genie pops out of it. "I will give you each one wish, " says the genie. The American says, "I am a farmer, my dad was a farmer, and my son will also farm. I want the land to be forever fertile in America." With a blink of the genie's eye, 'FOOM' - the land in America was forever made fertile for farming. The Frenchman was amazed, so he said, "I want a wall around France, so that no one can come into our precious country." Again, with a blink of the Genie's eye, 'POOF' - there was a huge wall around France. The Englishman asks, "I'm very curious. Please tell me more about this wall. The Genie explains, "Well, it's about 150 feet high, 50 feet thick and nothing can get in or out." The Englishman says, "Fill it up with water."

You just keep on dreaming there, Marshal Petain. Patton was going wherever the Hell he wanted and if any French were involved, he probably got slowed down.

Matter of fact, I find your assertion entirely absurd. TWICE we have had to intervene and return your country to you; otherwise, you'd be German twice-over. Both victories could have been obtained without even a single French participant

Neither victory could have been made possible without the millions of French dying or getting injured. But that's besides the point.

Europe should indeed be quite grateful that the US aided us, definitely in WW II. This not only for the soldiers who came here to fight and died, but also the financial and material aid.

But both wars were won with a coalition, and not just the US alone. My grandparents were liberated by Canadians btw.

It's unfortunate that they helped out in WW I, after three long and quite bloody years. They should have let Germany win that one, it would have avoided a lot of crap later on.

It's also unfortunate that the US had no intentions whatsoever to join the allied forces in WW II, up until Pearl Harbour that is. Still, that's irrelevant, they did in the end.

To claim that France did nothing is spitting on your very own veterans that survived the war due to the French resistance fighters who died in large numbers because the invasion in Normandy didn't go quite as well as planned.

Helllloooo! France is the one that set the 'parameters' and 'mandates.' Now, they should have to live with them. That was the point. The US will sit back and watch how this all goes now.

Indeed, and they have sent a large group. It's all wait and see now, not much else to do. There shouldn't be too much hope though, it is quite doubtful that this mandate will result in anything lasting.

Neither victory could have been made possible without the millions of French dying or getting injured. But that's besides the point.

Europe should indeed be quite grateful that the US aided us, definitely in WW II. This not only for the soldiers who came here to fight and died, but also the financial and material aid.

But both wars were won with a coalition, and not just the US alone. My grandparents were liberated by Canadians btw.

It's unfortunate that they helped out in WW I, after three long and quite bloody years. They should have let Germany win that one, it would have avoided a lot of crap later on.

It's also unfortunate that the US had no intentions whatsoever to join the allied forces in WW II, up until Pearl Harbour that is. Still, that's irrelevant, they did in the end.

To claim that France did nothing is spitting on your very own veterans that survived the war due to the French resistance fighters who died in large numbers because the invasion in Normandy didn't go quite as well as planned.

Indeed, and they have sent a large group. It's all wait and see now, not much else to do. There shouldn't be too much hope though, it is quite doubtful that this mandate will result in anything lasting.

Dude, you need to wake up. The US infact could have won EITHER victory without help. Not one other Eurpoean nation can make that claim.

And the US was arming, clothing and feeding all of free Europe BEFORE Pearl Harbor. Volunteer pilots flew in both the British and Chinese Air Forces. All Pearl Harbor did was get rid of the smokescreen.

I don't spit on French resistance fighters. Rather, it is you current, ball-less MFer's that spit on their memory and sacrifice. They gave all to you, adn look what you have become. Appeasing pissants unworthy of their efforts.

Dude, you need to wake up. The US infact could have won EITHER victory without help. Not one other Eurpoean nation can make that claim.

And the US was arming, clothing and feeding all of free Europe BEFORE Pearl Harbor. Volunteer pilots flew in both the British and Chinese Air Forces. All Pearl Harbor did was get rid of the smokescreen.

I don't spit on French resistance fighters. Rather, it is you current, ball-less MFer's that spit on their memory and sacrifice. They gave all to you, adn look what you have become. Appeasing pissants unworthy of their efforts.

I think that you don't know very well France. Have you ever been there ? What do u every time spit on us ?
Do you really Know the story ? How many gold the US have win by making war-business ? Which country provided weapon to the Germany after the WWI ? Remember that after the end of the WWI the Germany didn't get the right to get an army...any european country sold arms to Germany...but for the US, business is over everything, do i'm right ?... do u know how many french people died ? What do you want ? To live alone on the earth, muslim are bad, french are bad, etc. If someone just criticize your country is a bad personn ?
When I was young US was a model for lot of people around me....but the politics of your country..the way you think that you have discover everything, that you are the best in everything, this all things had push lot of people to hate your country.
I'm still not hating US but I'm really tired to see the way you spit on everyone...
France is not the way you think...so don't stay with your mind close...just don't read newspaper...take a plane make a turn in France and then you wil be able to talk...
France is a great country with is strenght and weakness...come to visit us I will be glad to show you my country :)

I know what the US did before they officially joined the war, for both worldwars. I am quite grateful that they did. (although acting as ambassador for Germany and handing the Belgian king Albert I the German declaration of war for WW I was a bit weird imo)

I'm not certain that the US could have defeated Germany alone though, ultimately it is irrelevant.

As for current politics, many European soldiers are in Afghanistan, that includes soldiers from "Old Europe". Most European countries played a part in Iraq, perhaps not as many anymore but still a lot did.

And even the countries that were against it in Europe did nothing to stop it and even allowed weapons transports to occur for instance in Belgium. The opposition was political, and also correct for that matter.(although that's a completely different debate)

Europe has failed on many occasions, perhaps this current UN mission will usher the start of a new Europe.

A screen capture showing what you find when you go to Google, type in "french military victories," and click the "I'm feeling lucky" button

I think that you don't know very well France. Have you ever been there ? What do u every time spit on us ?
Do you really Know the story ? How many gold the US have win by making war-business ? Which country provided weapon to the Germany after the WWI ? Remember that after the end of the WWI the Germany didn't get the right to get an army...any european country sold arms to Germany...but for the US, business is over everything, do i'm right ?... do u know how many french people died ? What do you want ? To live alone on the earth, muslim are bad, french are bad, etc. If someone just criticize your country is a bad personn ?

Point #1: Germany engineered their own weapons. Nobody was giving them to them. Their weapons were far superior to anyone else's, so why would they want to import inferior stuff? Illogical.

Point #2 is you have just made one of my points. You are correct that Germany was disarmed after WWI and not allowed to have a standing army for anything more than self-defense. Yet the rest of Europe looked on as Germany re-armed, then invaded wherever they wanted to.

Point #3. Unwarranted criticism of the US for no other reason than being a damned parrot is STUPID, not bad. However, I will point out that if you wish to not be judged for criticizing the US, feel free to not be a hypocrite and return the same.

When I was young US was a model for lot of people around me....but the politics of your country..the way you think that you have discover everything, that you are the best in everything, this all things had push lot of people to hate your country.

Bullshit. Most people outside the US, and even inside the US for that matter don't even know WHY they hate the US. They have no real reason. It's just en vogue to do so.

I'm still not hating US but I'm really tired to see the way you spit on everyone...
France is not the way you think...so don't stay with your mind close...just don't read newspaper...take a plane make a turn in France and then you wil be able to talk...
France is a great country with is strenght and weakness...come to visit us I will be glad to show you my country :)

Nothing closed-minded about France OPENLY buying votes in the UN to keep the UN out of Iraq simply to protect France's under-the-table, neo-colonialist deals with Saddam.

Nothing closed minded about France opposing the US as often nowadays as Russia and China do.

Nothing closed-minded about France blocking the UN from doing anything in Sudan to protect a people being systematically wiped off the Earth so France can protect its neo-colonial economic deals with the Gov't of Sudan.

Just WHAT is there good about France?

And I've been to Europe thanks. I will NEVER again step foot outside the borders of the US without being armed to the teeth.

I know what the US did before they officially joined the war, for both worldwars. I am quite grateful that they did. (although acting as ambassador for Germany and handing the Belgian king Albert I the German declaration of war for WW I was a bit weird imo)

Interesting that what you think you know the US did before entering either war would have ANY play in your mind where the final outcome is concerned.

WWI was a pointless, stupid little war that got escalated by treaties. Had the major players just let the instigators take care of themselves, it would never have happened.

I'm not certain that the US could have defeated Germany alone though, ultimately it is irrelevant.

It would have taken longer, but the US would still have prevailed. In addition to supplying the majority of manpower during WWII, we supplied almost ALL the allies with materiel, and we fought a two-front war. Half our military assets were in the Pacific.

As for current politics, many European soldiers are in Afghanistan, that includes soldiers from "Old Europe". Most European countries played a part in Iraq, perhaps not as many anymore but still a lot did.

And even the countries that were against it in Europe did nothing to stop it and even allowed weapons transports to occur for instance in Belgium. The opposition was political, and also correct for that matter.(although that's a completely different debate)

Europe has failed on many occasions, perhaps this current UN mission will usher the start of a new Europe.

The current UN mission will turn into a fiasco and failure because Europe has lost the will to do what needs to be done. Look at every participating Nation's first disclaimer: "We are not here to disarm Hezbollah, and are not going to."

Hezbollah is a criminal organization of genocidal murderers and thugs. Why WOULDN'T the UN force hunt them down, disarm and jail or eliminate them? As soon as enough of the UN force gets murdered, they'll pack and leave.

Nothing closed-minded about France OPENLY buying votes in the UN to keep the UN out of Iraq simply to protect France's under-the-table, neo-colonialist deals with Saddam.

Nothing closed minded about France opposing the US as often nowadays as Russia and China do.

Nothing closed-minded about France blocking the UN from doing anything in Sudan to protect a people being systematically wiped off the Earth so France can protect its neo-colonial economic deals with the Gov't of Sudan.

Just WHAT is there good about France?

And I've been to Europe thanks. I will NEVER again step foot outside the borders of the US without being armed to the teeth.

Then stay out, who cares?

There are few places that are dangerous for Americans in Europe, unless you are looking for trouble yourself. Sure, some places are dangerous for non-white people as much as some places are quite dangerous for white people to walk around in. Perhaps the US can do the same as Israel, everytime someone does or says something they don't like, they'll advise all Jewish tourists not to visit that place and also to even move out of the area.

Then stay out, who cares?

There are few places that are dangerous for Americans in Europe, unless you are looking for trouble yourself. Sure, some places are dangerous for non-white people as much as some places are quite dangerous for white people to walk around in. Perhaps the US can do the same as Israel, everytime someone does or says something they don't like, they'll advise all Jewish tourists not to visit that place and also to even move out of the area.

You mean you don't care?:cry:

Q: How many gears does a French tank have?
A: 4 reverse and 1 forward, in case the enemy attacks from the rear.

Q: How can you identify a French Infantryman?
A: Sunburned armpits.

Q. What's the difference between Frenchmen and toast?

A. You can make soldiers out of toast.

For the WWII : open an history book, look at Koufra, Bir Hakeim, Napoly, Monte Cassino, Sienna, Provence, Strasbourg, Rosenau... Look at Dunkirk, Les Glières, Vercors, the air corps "Normandie-Niemen"...

More than 200,000 french soldiers died between 1940 and 1945, 90,000 just for the campaign of 1940. the french soliders did resist. The Maginot Line was only taken AFTER the armistice, the german panzerdivisionen were unable to took it. The Maginot Line in the Alpes succesfully beat the italian armies, Italy was defeated by France in 1940.

For the "joke" on Google : here again, open an history book. France won more battles than any country in the world. Only between 1792 and 1815, France won more than 150 battles, alone against the coalised Europe. Add to it the victories of Middle Age, of the Ancien Régime (1500-1789) and the recent times (since 1815), you will have an enormous number of victories and winning wars for France.

For the "Troupes de Marine" (TDM) : like your Marines (navy infantry), around 35,000 men, excellent soldiers. With the Legion, the TDM are one of the best corps of the french army, and also one of the best corps of the armies forces of the world, with the US Navy Seals, the UK's SAS...

And go to France, visit it. You'll be one of the 78,000,000 persons who visit France every years, making this country the 1st visited country of the world. Visit Paris, the first touristic city on earth.

Don't believe France and French have forgotten the US intervention of WWI and above all WWII. We'll always remember the men who died to free our country.
But with all your jokes about the french army, you dishonor the brave french who died since 1500 years to save their fatherland, and also to help France's friends, like, you seems to forget it, the young USA.

Q: What is the first thing the French Army teaches at basic training?
A: How to surrender in at least 10 languages.

Q: What is the most useful thing in the French Army?
A: A rearview mirror, so they can see the war.

Q: Why does Nike like the French Army?
A: Because, in war time, they are the biggest buyers of running shoes.

Q: How do you stop a French tank?
A: Shoot the guy that's pushing it!

Forum List

Back