Four U.S. troops charged with soldier cruelty

Discussion in 'Military' started by strollingbones, Aug 21, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    Soldiers accused of hazing Ohio teen who committed suicide, military says

WASHINGTON - Four American soldiers have been charged with cruelty and maltreatment of an 19-year-old soldier who committed suicide after being in Iraq for 10 days, the U.S. military told NBC News Friday.

The four Multi-National Division-South soldiers are accused of hazing Private Keiffer P. Wilhelm of Ohio. They abused Wilhelm with excessive physical fitness, said Lt. Col. Kevin Olson, a military spokesman.

One defense official told NBC News that Wilhelm eventually stopped going to public areas to avoid being harassed repeatedly for being overweight.

Four U.S. troops charged with soldier cruelty - Military- msnbc.com

2. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    I hate hazing, thats why i never joined a Fraternity.

That story makes me angry. I just told my co-worker (a medal holding marine and Iraq war veteran) about it and he had a slightly different take than mine.

He said that someone being out of shape could cause you to get killed during active duty and that they were protecting themselves and him with the harassment. He said the marines harass you about anything they dont like until you change it or quit.

I still think it isn't right to haze people though.

3. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,766
    So a fat pussy killed himself. boo fucking hoo!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    This is what we get for turning the military into a gay friendly social club.

Hazing losers in your unit has always been an effective way to cull out the weak and stupid.

They either shape up or ship out.

5. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    That sums up what my co-worker said nicely.

6. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    Was it hazing or "training"? There is a difference.

7. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,976
    The US has kicked out more than 12,000 gays including many in critical positions, including Arabic translators. Imagine going into an Arabic neighborhood and not being able to communicate because your fellow soldier sent a letter to another soldier ending with, "Love Steve".

The point? To replace these fine soldiers the US had to give felons waivers to enter the military. Also, change the age limit to 40 years old. And waive a GED or high school diploma.

So the fact that some US soldiers are acting in a cruel manner is no surprise. When you replace some good soldiers with some people that are felons and uneducated, it's to be expected.

Wanna bet, these guys had prior criminal records?

Funny, Republicans will say, "How can you criticize our soldiers?" and then turn around and cut their benefits. But it’s ok. You expect Republicans to act like that. They can’t help it. It’s what they do.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    How did you get republicans, gays, and felons, out of this news story??? :cuckoo:

9. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,504
    I really feel for the kid, but . . .

Unit espirit de corps is everything. Soldiers fight for their buddies and themselves. Once in the field, Mom and apple pie have very little to do with anything.

We had our ways for making folks fit into so that they could work wth the unit. We were subject to the "good order and discipline" of the service not the civilian world. Not fitting in could get one or all of us killed. I heard of a senior NCO who was informed in no uncertain terms that he would not be coming home if he did not fit in with the soldiers for which he was responsible. There were officers who supposedly begged their troops to let them change for "the better" before going into the field.

Who ever was the trainers of this soldier failed in their job. I suspect the troop was a reservist, not a fulltime enlisted Marine. The crotch would have run him into the ground before he ever left the U.S. AT least the old crotch would.

10. Gudrid

Gudrid Bilderbergs' Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93
    So how does being charged with the crime of abusing fellow soldiers fit in with the whole unit harmony theory? I guess the higher ups in the US military must not understand the reality of how things need to be in the US military...or something...