Forums drive extreme ideology

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Grampa Murked U, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,778
    I've only been here a short while but the sheer level of stupidity and hatred are enough to harden anyone if they're not careful.

I see a few moderates on here and kudos to you for not falling into all the hate, both on the right and left.

The rest of you are the reason this country is broken. We are a nation of millions upon millions and to demand everyone follow an extreme viewpoint is absurd.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    That there is in itself... an extreme viewpoint.

"Viewpoints" are just that- points made and points taken from a particular view, or perspective.

We've all grown up in differing environments- political, social, economic. Life's experiences are what define us as individuals. Throw us all onto a message board, shake it up, spit it out.
    Sure it's a clusterfuck but it's fascinating and infuriating. The human experiment.

Carry on.

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    I don't think anyone generally thinks their viewpoint is extreme. They usually just think and say things that sound reasonable to them. So I dont see how forums could drive them.

4. Grampa Murked U

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,778
    Yea maybe. I just see so much Extreme hate. A position is one thing but a position followed by your an idiot, nutjob, uneducated etc...

I have found middle ground with several libs on her without all the hate.

5. ba1614

ba1614 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +876
    I briefly saw something on pmsnbc where some assclown was blaming them for driving that in Norway.

6. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,724
    Get a grip on your panties gramps. Political discourse is as old as the Federalist Papers. The last time political "moderates" were in charge was around the late 30's in Germany.

7. Grampa Murked U

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,778
    I wasn't referring to political moderation. I was talking about posting without all the Fuck yous, hate you, I'm better than you garbage. Moderation of how we deal with and talk to each other. Like trying to post with a level of respect for others. I know I'm guilty of it too and that's not my normal nature. That's why I posted this I guess, maybe trying to ground myself more than anything.

Stupid topic I guess. I should have just finished my beer and went to bed.

8. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    What you don't get is that extreme opinions on a message board aren't necessarily the reality of people's true thought processes.

Someone throws out something inflammatory... it gets an inflammatory reaction. I am normally very soft spoken in real life. I do have my opinions on issues and they are primarily progressive. My Harmonica player in the Blues Trio I play in... is a hard core Tea Partier, and I tell you no lie... walks around with a battery operated AM radio. I'm not kidding, nor am I trying to piss anyone off... I'm telling the truth.

Him and I get heated in our discussions... but we always shake hands and remind each other that it's not personal.

But on a message board... where people tend to be more "persona" like than personal... it's a different situation. I know I'm guilty of it too, not pointing fingers at anyone.

9. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    No. It is not a stupid topic. And I'm glad you said it and didn't go to bed instead.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. Antiderivative

Antiderivative BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I don't know what it is about this place, but it is a fucking incubator for rw stupidity. There are hardly any extreme lefties on this board. Maybe RDean. Chris is perhaps the most intelligent one, but not extreme. This place is so far skewed to the right.

I used to post at AWE and even that place was more balanced with more intelligent posters. I actually used to learn something there and the discussions were more interesting.

This place is a vile gangfest of rightwing circle jerks. It is pure entertainment.