Forums drive extreme ideology

I wasn't referring to political moderation. I was talking about posting without all the Fuck yous, hate you, I'm better than you garbage. Moderation of how we deal with and talk to each other. Like trying to post with a level of respect for others. I know I'm guilty of it too and that's not my normal nature. That's why I posted this I guess, maybe trying to ground myself more than anything.

Stupid topic I guess. I should have just finished my beer and went to bed.

I have no respect for liberals. None. They are sleazy despicable liars who are destroying this country. What is there about them that is "respectable?"

Hmm, coming from a guy who supports torture, murder & rape of innocently detained and chained women and children. Tsk!

I think the thing to remember is that the posters here whose position are so obviously designed to be as pugnatious as possible (read trolls) do NOT represent the truer voice of most political positions on either the right or the left.

Many here I think assume the most outragous and inflaming positions simply to have an impact on the board itself.

Some of the most radical posters here might actually believe the hateful crap they post, of course.

But most of them are just clueless trolls playing out their tough guy acts in ascii.

I came here from a heavily moderated board. After almost 10 years on the board, I was permanently banned for the term "Koch Suckers" of all things. :lol:

While the board went to extremes, I did like their policy of "attack the post, not the poster". It kept things from devolving into ridiculous "f-you" slap fests and made the posters actually address the POINTS.

IMO, the root of the problem is the lack of teaching what critical thought is and the importance of applying critical thought to all aspects of our lives.

We have college students who have no idea what critical thought even is.

It's turned us into a bunch of hysterical idiots who just scream at each other and nothing productive gets done.

Seawytch... Good point about the moderation(or lack thereof). Personally... while I despise the FU fests(that I sometimes contribute to myself), I am OK with the freedom to do so. I have also been on boards that wouldn't tolerate such language and usually have filters to semi-prevent the vile language(people simply misspell the objectionable word to get around it).

so, while this place has it's faults... at least it allows people to vent properly when they get pissed off.

Facts facts facts,

They will point you to what is extreme and what is not.

Being in the middle has NO indication that you are better.

FACTS are our only indication of what is right.

The right denys history, science, the very definition of words and court documented facts.

Being anywhere but on the side of facts is being extreme no matter how many people join you there.

wilson.jpg

TM ^^^

I've only been here a short while but the sheer level of stupidity and hatred are enough to harden anyone if they're not careful.

I see a few moderates on here and kudos to you for not falling into all the hate, both on the right and left.

The rest of you are the reason this country is broken. We are a nation of millions upon millions and to demand everyone follow an extreme viewpoint is absurd.

And what issues are you a moderate?

IMO, the root of the problem is the lack of teaching what critical thought is and the importance of applying critical thought to all aspects of our lives.

It's turned us into a bunch of hysterical idiots who just scream at each other and nothing productive gets done.

I don't understand your point on critical thought. I feel there is plenty of critical thought. I think both sides have valid points. I lean more towards taking care of our weakest people. Conservatives tend to still believe that if you cut taxes and eliminate regulation that "trickle down" will occur and life will be great and we won't have to take care of our weakest.

Both sides have points. I think part of the problem is that those people that are supposed to be "trickling down", simply aren't. so my "critical thought" is very much towards Corporations, Conglomerates and Big Banking. I think that they are what is holding this country back from real recovery.

Conservatives tend to think that it's the weakest of our society is to blame... that they don't want to work and they just want something for nothing. the Poor, the handicapped, the elderly. Democrats(when they are not sucking up corporate dollars themselves) tend to work for those people and for the working and Middle Class. So naturally.... people who believe in "trickle down" are opposed to that philosophy.

It's not "lack of Critical thinking". It's that both sides tend to have blinders on and selectively choose what they want to think critically about.

I don't understand your point on critical thought. I feel there is plenty of critical thought. I think both sides have valid points. I lean more towards taking care of our weakest people. Conservatives tend to still believe that if you cut taxes and eliminate regulation that "trickle down" will occur and life will be great and we won't have to take care of our weakest.

Both sides have points. I think part of the problem is that those people that are supposed to be "trickling down", simply aren't. so my "critical thought" is very much towards Corporations, Conglomerates and Big Banking. I think that they are what is holding this country back from real recovery.

Conservatives tend to think that it's the weakest of our society is to blame... that they don't want to work and they just want something for nothing. the Poor, the handicapped, the elderly. Democrats(when they are not sucking up corporate dollars themselves) tend to work for those people and for the working and Middle Class. So naturally.... people who believe in "trickle down" are opposed to that philosophy.

It's not "lack of Critical thinking". It's that both sides tend to have blinders on and selectively choose what they want to think critically about.
[Emphasis added] Contradiction, but I understand why you don't know that. ;)

I don't understand your point on critical thought.
Obviously.

I've only been here a short while but the sheer level of stupidity and hatred are enough to harden anyone if they're not careful.

I see a few moderates on here and kudos to you for not falling into all the hate, both on the right and left.

The rest of you are the reason this country is broken. We are a nation of millions upon millions and to demand everyone follow an extreme viewpoint is absurd.

The problem with this country is there has been one and only one viewpoint that was publicly discussed, the left. The left ruthlessly kept it that way and they kept the "moderates" feeling guilty for not being liberal since that's the only viewpoint they heard in a positive way. Conservative views in public were nothing but ridiculed.

Now with the Internet, Fox News and talk radio people are able to discuss conservative and libertarian views without it filtering through the left. And yes, the left has been more angry because their monopoly of the airwaves is gone. They liked it. Congratulations, you actually figured out that when you have more then one viewpoint openly discussed, there is more disagreement. What an insight that is.

I know you're not a leftist, but apparently you liked the calm of only hearing one side. I don't, and a lot of us didn't. This is good. And I don't want to do to the left what they did to us. I want to be able to combat their views, even if you oppose that, rather then shut them down like they did to us. Reality is not on their side, that is the point to make not preventing people from hearing their delusions.

I came here from a heavily moderated board. After almost 10 years on the board, I was permanently banned for the term "Koch Suckers" of all things. :lol:

While the board went to extremes, I did like their policy of "attack the post, not the poster". It kept things from devolving into ridiculous "f-you" slap fests and made the posters actually address the POINTS.

I know what you're saying, but my view is those boards the posters are always testing the line and it just becomes and endless game. By just allowing posters to curse and insult, I think it actually gets the discussion through the games easier. And why not have some of those threads? I enjoy a good insult fest, but only if there's no point or productive point being made anyway.

Obviously.

Oh... bullshit. What's the point of Critical thought when you can't point that critical finger at yourself? that was MY point. oh... I get it... your side does nothing wrong and is beyond reproach.. I keep forgetting how shiite-like you guys are.

Oh... bullshit. What's the point of Critical thought when you can't point that critical finger at yourself? that was MY point. oh... I get it... your side does nothing wrong and is beyond reproach.. I keep forgetting how shiite-like you guys are.

Yes, we don't recognize the inherent truth of liberalism, no critical thinking whatsoever. I was hoping you wouldn't figure that out but you got us.

Obviously.

By definition, critical thought is not selective thought.

As I said, I understand. ;)

Seawytch... Good point about the moderation(or lack thereof). Personally... while I despise the FU fests(that I sometimes contribute to myself), I am OK with the freedom to do so. I have also been on boards that wouldn't tolerate such language and usually have filters to semi-prevent the vile language(people simply misspell the objectionable word to get around it).

so, while this place has it's faults... at least it allows people to vent properly when they get pissed off.

I don't disagree. A good venting is always fun. I'll willingly get down in the dirt if that's where someone wants to go...I just won't go there first.

It was a different board environment. Most were military or military veterans so respect for each other was expected and therefore demanded. ;)

I would almost take you seriously if not for your avatar and signature line.

Obviously.

Yeah... by definition it's not.... but in practice, especially on here... it very much is.

But that's Ok... I understand your ignorance... the term "Critical Thinking" is a Rush Limbaugh mainstay... so to you... blasting anything and everything that doesn't jive with good 'ol Rush... is Critical thinking.. but critiquing the right is a "lack of critical thinking".

fuckin' hack....

Interesting you bring this up. I started thread on what a compromise for the debt ceiling might look like and got shot at by both sides. Pretty much figured that was what would happen, but maybe some who posted there will go back and reread it.

Yeah... by definition it's not.... but in practice, especially on here... it very much is.

Then critical thought isn't being practiced, now is it?

Thus, my point.

:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back