Former Atlanta police officer indicted in death of unarmed man

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
ATLANTA – A grand jury on Wednesday charged a white former Atlanta police officer with felony murder and other crimes in the death of an unarmed black man who was driving a car.

The Fulton County grand jury also indicted James Burns on charges of aggravated assault, making a false statement and two counts of violation of oath of office in the June 22 killing of 22-year-old Deravis Caine Rogers, according to defense attorney Drew Findling. Burns has been out on bond since his arrest.

Prosecutors said Burns fired into Rogers' vehicle while responding to a call about a suspicious person, even though Burns wasn't in danger and had no way to identify Rogers as the reported suspicious person.

Findling disputed that, saying after the grand jury hearing that Burns believed that Rogers' car was accelerating toward him and that his life was in danger.

Atlanta police Chief George Turner fired Burns July 1 after an internal investigation determined Burns used unnecessary and excessive force.
Former Atlanta police officer indicted in death of unarmed man | Fox News

This is going to be an interesting case.

hmmm

Chair, firing squad, needle, noose?

So many choices

Of course the 'white' officer killed the 'black' man because he is a racist.

If a black man kills a white man, is it also because of racism?

hmmm

So many choices
Hey, will. I just get such a sense of sadness in reading about these cases. We've both worked with some of our 'road warriors' and know how the normal trust civilians get to live with becomes dented and turns to cynicism after seeing nothing but dirtbags all day, every day. And now we find too many innocents are dying because of it. I keep thinking of an old cartoon we had in our ambulance office that said, "when you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember you're here to drain the swamp". We, as a society can't allow these unwarranted deaths by trigger-happy cops, and we can't survive without police protection. And now we seem to have become an either/or nation, meaning you are either for the cops or for the victims, make a choice. Will we ever see a solution?

hmmm

So many choices
Hey, will. I just get such a sense of sadness in reading about these cases. We've both worked with some of our 'road warriors' and know how the normal trust civilians get to live with becomes dented and turns to cynicism after seeing nothing but dirtbags all day, every day. And now we find too many innocents are dying because of it. I keep thinking of an old cartoon we had in our ambulance office that said, "when you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember you're here to drain the swamp". We, as a society can't allow these unwarranted deaths by trigger-happy cops, and we can't survive without police protection. And now we seem to have become an either/or nation, meaning you are either for the cops or for the victims, make a choice. Will we ever see a solution?

6.gif

Forum List

Back