Foreman eyes return to ring -- at 55

Discussion in 'Sports' started by jimnyc, Feb 10, 2004.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    DALLAS (Reuters) - Former heavyweight champion George Foreman is planning a return to the ring, saying that he wants to show he can still fight at the age of 55.

Foreman said on Tuesday in a telephone interview he has been planning a return to boxing for about a year.

The former heavyweight champ became a champion for the middle-aged when he became the oldest man to claim the heavyweight belt at the age of 45. Foreman has not fought in about seven years.

"I have been working out. My goal is to get down to 225 pounds (102 kg)," Foreman said.

Foreman said he began training on his 55th birthday on January 10, 2004, and said he may have to cut out on his desserts in order to drop another 50 pounds (22.7 kg).

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&u=/nm/20040210/od_uk_nm/oukoe_boxing_foreman

2. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Why on earth would he do this to himself?

He's making a fortune off of his George Foreman Grills - so it can't be just about money? But why take the risk to his health?

I don't get it.

3. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I respect George. He's a competitor. He just can't stand to be away from the ring. I don't think it's about money. Nonetheless, I believe George needs to let go. This guy has like 5 or 6 kids (all named George!), and I think it's time he starts concentrating on them and not boxing.

4. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thats why all the kids are named george ...after getting his ass handed to him and brains all adiled like Ali..all he has to remember is his name...

5. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    :laugh:

6. Jackass

Jackass Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I love George..I dont think its about the money but I do believe its assanine.

7. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    borderline insanity...who will give him a license???? wqho will get in the ring with him? he clearly aint right...

8. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    George is great!!! Boxing is his life ...as alot of ppl feel as they get older , if they dont keep doing what they do best then they are not at there best! I just hope he doesnt get hurt , but to put him against a nobody I think he will be fine.
    Jeff

9. Scourge

Scourge Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    He's only been knocked out once... in Kinshasa, Zaire. He looked good against Shannon Briggs (even though he was robbed on points) and he was about 46 at the time.
    If he fights some plodder like Franz Botha he might be ok, but either Klitschko would put him 6 feet under. Maybe Roy Jones would beat him up?!?!

10. Jackass

Jackass Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Roy Jones wouldnt beat him up!! He is much too big for Jones. With the younger Klitschko I think he has a chance. As for the Briggs fight...he was totally robbed!