For those that support banning 'assault weapns'

I was speaking only to the theory that the 2nd is limited to weapons that could be handled by individuals.

It is. That is why it is limited to arms the individual can bear. All the other extreme examples you use are prohibited by law, the Constitutionality of which is not at issue.

and again, those words are not found in the 2nd. Some judges have simply decided they were implied and ruled it that way, and THAT is why so many people are arguing about what the founding fathers really mean.

Much better to actually spell it out with a new amendment.

and people is plural, they were pretty smart men if they had meant singular person they would have written that.

Not according to SCOTUS.

well thank your for admitting that I was correct when I said that the 2nd did not mention individual weapon platforms, that is only how the court has interpreted it.

The fact is the 2nd was poorly written and needs a reboot.

Of course no one should have the ability to acquire a nuclear warhead, but under the current 2nd it is unconstitutional to say they can't.

We need a new amendment to protect gun owners as much as to keep weapons out of the hands of people who ought not have weapons.

Or it was brilliantly composed with the likely intent to allow for “persons in every generation [to] invoke its principles in their own search for greater freedom,” as Justice Kennedy noted in Lawrence.

The Constitution endures and is immutable, as are its principles, thus those principles may be used by later generations to realize greater liberty, and shed laws that “serve only to oppress.”

As with the Framers of the 5th and 14th Amendments, had the Framers of the Second Amendment “known the components of liberty in its manifold possibilities, they might have been more specific. They did not presume to have this insight.”

Not according to SCOTUS.

well thank your for admitting that I was correct when I said that the 2nd did not mention individual weapon platforms, that is only how the court has interpreted it.

Of course no one should have the ability to acquire a nuclear warhead, but under the current 2nd it is unconstitutional to say they can't.

We need a new amendment to protect gun owners as much as to keep weapons out of the hands of people who ought not have weapons.

Or it was brilliantly composed with the likely intent to allow for “persons in every generation [to] invoke its principles in their own search for greater freedom,” as Justice Kennedy noted in Lawrence.

The Constitution endures and is immutable, as are its principles, thus those principles may be used by later generations to realize greater liberty, and shed laws that “serve only to oppress.”

As with the Framers of the 5th and 14th Amendments, had the Framers of the Second Amendment “known the components of liberty in its manifold possibilities, they might have been more specific. They did not presume to have this insight.”

I've said much the same. People who pretend like the founders had all the answers are wrong. The founders themselves knew they didn't have all the answers, which is precisely why they did the most brilliant thing of all and made the constitution amendable.

I've said much the same. People who pretend like the founders had all the answers are wrong. The founders themselves knew they didn't have all the answers, which is precisely why they did the most brilliant thing of all and made the constitution amendable.

They also understood that the Constitution would be subject to interpretation by the courts, as authorized by the doctrine of judicial review.

They understood that the judicial process would be the means by which the people would “realize greater liberty.”

Amending the Constitution should be exceedingly rare.

They also understood that the Constitution would be subject to interpretation by the courts, as authorized by the doctrine of judicial review.

They understood that the judicial process would be the means by which the people would “realize greater liberty.”

You do realize that SCOTUS in fact took the power of judicial review and in fact no such power is actually delegated within the COTUS right?

It simply is not there.

Now some could and would argue that it's a good thing that we have the SCOTUS to do judicial review, and maybe it is, but it is NOT in the constitution.

For me, having the Supreme Court use the Constitution as the basis for their decisions is not only extremely important, but necessary. Just what was the court suppose to do with the matters brought to it? In fact, they don't even accpet all cases.

For me, having the Supreme Court use the Constitution as the basis for their decisions is not only extremely important, but necessary. Just what was the court suppose to do with the matters brought to it? In fact, they don't even accpet all cases.

I agree, they should use the COTUS as the basis for their decisions. But they are not supposed to be making decisions about whether laws are constitutional or not. That is not a power delegated to them by the COTUS.

I was speaking only to the theory that the 2nd is limited to weapons that could be handled by individuals.

It is. That is why it is limited to arms the individual can bear. All the other extreme examples you use are prohibited by law, the Constitutionality of which is not at issue.

and again, those words are not found in the 2nd. Some judges have simply decided they were implied and ruled it that way, and THAT is why so many people are arguing about what the founding fathers really mean.

The Constitution denies to the States any Armed naval vessels. As in the only strategic arm that existed at that time. It clearly means strategic weapons are not allowed by States or Individuals. There go most of your arguments right there. As to crew served weapons they are already highly controlled and have passed their own Supreme Court tests. That leaves arms in the 2nd to mean personal individual Arms. And THAT is what the Courts have ruled repeatedly. The second is clear as a bell.

You don't like it? make a new amendment, get it through Congress and approved by 37 States. That is your only Constitutional option.

You do realize that SCOTUS in fact took the power of judicial review and in fact no such power is actually delegated within the COTUS right?

It simply is not there.

Now some could and would argue that it's a good thing that we have the SCOTUS to do judicial review, and maybe it is, but it is NOT in the constitution.

I once believed that too. I suggest you REREAD the powers of the Court. They have Jurisdiction in ALL CASES involving the federal Government. If a person disagrees with the feds it goes to Federal Court with final judgement by the Supreme Court. If a State disagrees with the federal Government it goes to Federal Court with the Supreme Court the final judge. A question of Constitutionality is brought to the Courts via a challenge to the federal Government. EXACTLY what the Supreme Court is tasked to decide BY the Constitution.

I agree, they should use the COTUS as the basis for their decisions. But they are not supposed to be making decisions about whether laws are constitutional or not. That is not a power delegated to them by the COTUS.

Yes it is. The Court has final jurisdiction in ALL cases involving the Federal Government. If someone or a State challenge a federal law or edict the Supreme Court AS TASKED AND DELEGATED by the CONSTITUTION makes a final ruling. Maubury was absolutely right. When the appointments were thrown out the petitioners took it to Federal Court. The Supreme Court had sole legal authority to rule on the matter and has sole legal AUTHORITY to determine if a federal law or edict is legal or not (* as in Constitutional or not). READ the damn document and this time without your blinders on.

The Constitution denies to the States any Armed naval vessels. As in the only strategic arm that existed at that time. It clearly means strategic weapons are not allowed by States or Individuals. There go most of your arguments right there. As to crew served weapons they are already highly controlled and have passed their own Supreme Court tests. That leaves arms in the 2nd to mean personal individual Arms. And THAT is what the Courts have ruled repeatedly. The second is clear as a bell.

You don't like it? make a new amendment, get it through Congress and approved by 37 States. That is your only Constitutional option.

That sir is exactly what I am arguing needs to be done, a new amendment by the way that in MANY ways would strengthen gun rights.

As for your contention about how SCOTUS has interpreted the 2nd. That is NOT their constitutional power to do so. That is that simple. Read the document, nowhere in their powers are they given that power. They took it upon themselves and we the people have accepted it.

By the way in the early years of the US, private individuals in fact had their own private naval forces , and in fact it wasn't uncommon.

Ever hear of the Pinkertons? They were essentially a private Army, and in fact had more firepower and more men than the US Army.

The US in fact would not have won the Revolutionary War if not for private armies.

In fact in Article 1 Section 8 of the COTUS , Congress is given authority to issue a Letter of Marque to such private organizations in times of war.

Such a Letter has only been issued once in the US since 1812 but that is irrelevant to the fact that the power exists, and obviously if the founders had meant for private militarys to be nonexistent they wouldn't have provided a way for Congress to "hire" them.

The 2nd amendment is clear enough. The only people who try to twist its meaning are those who want to take your guns.

"It's becoming clear that firearms present more of a danger than what firearms were to protect us from in the first place. The question posed on this thread is absurd, when our own children are using firearms to slaughter each other. What the hardware is called or how it works is irrelevant. Do we really NEED the second amendment anymore? That would be the more pertinent question. Does this society really need firearms anymore?"

Who would be allowed to have firearms,then?
Only the police,and military,right?
Of course,all the criminals would turn in all their guns,too,right?
Let the government protect you! Didnt Hitler say the same thing?
Remember,when seconds count,the police are only minutes away!

You may not need,or want the second amendment,but I do.
What other freedoms are you willing to give up?
Cuba is a "gun-free" zone-would you like to live there?
We all know there is no crime there,and everything is perfect,thanks to guns being taken away from private citizens.

When I hear some idiotic do-gooder telling me that guns are bad, that the perfect world is achieved only with disarmament and that I should renounce my Second Amendment Rights for the good of the collective, I know I am in front of an idiot that will get people killed.

well, i did say "arguably", and did so with the knowledge that someone would bring up nukes.

nukes, and any weapon of mass destruction, are offensive weapons and not designed to protect the individual's rights. they are also indiscriminate as to their target. and this is not to mention many are governed by international law or treaty.

Nuclear arms are "arms," and the Constitution does not specify type or extremity. However, it does permit a loose idea of "regulation." That was the genius of the 2nd Amendment. The speed or degree at which arms technology develops is whatever it is. A reasonable expectation of who is capable and responsible enough to have possession of certain types of arms exists, within the context of a "well-regulated militia."

The 39 ruling of the Supreme Court is clear. In order to be protected by the 2nd a weapon must be in use, of use or common to the military. As for nukes they are not arms, they are strategic assets and the Constitution is clear that Strategic assets are forbidden to the States much less the people. Perhaps you should read the Constitution.

Not quite, ‘in common use at the time’ with regard to what civilians own, the weapons you currently own now, unconnected with militia (military) service, used in a lawful manner.

There can be some overlap, of course, such a the M9/Beretta 92 FS.

Private ownership of nuclear weapons is lawfully prohibited because they are deemed ‘dangerous and unusual,’ owning such weapons is not Constitutionally protected accordingly.

Nuclear arms are "arms," and the Constitution does not specify type or extremity. However, it does permit a loose idea of "regulation." That was the genius of the 2nd Amendment. The speed or degree at which arms technology develops is whatever it is. A reasonable expectation of who is capable and responsible enough to have possession of certain types of arms exists, within the context of a "well-regulated militia."

The 39 ruling of the Supreme Court is clear. In order to be protected by the 2nd a weapon must be in use, of use or common to the military. As for nukes they are not arms, they are strategic assets and the Constitution is clear that Strategic assets are forbidden to the States much less the people. Perhaps you should read the Constitution.

Not quite, ‘in common use at the time’ with regard to what civilians own, the weapons you currently own now, unconnected with militia (military) service, used in a lawful manner.

There can be some overlap, of course, such a the M9/Beretta 92 FS.

Private ownership of nuclear weapons is lawfully prohibited because they are deemed ‘dangerous and unusual,’ owning such weapons is not Constitutionally protected accordingly.

because a court overstepped their constitutional authority and decided they could interpret the 2nd that way. Otherwise tell me where it says that in the 2nd.

I'll guarantee you that what I'm saying is going to be the justification for banning and making weapons illegal.

If gun owners were smart they would get a hold of the curve and demand a new amendment which draws a clear line as to what is legal and what is not. One that NO ONE could argue with.

JR was not written into the Constitution and did not exist until the court gave itself the power to do so in 1803.
You knew that, of course.

That is very much NOT the sense of the wording from Miller.

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment, or that its use could contribute to the common defense

This says nothing about "common use" in reference to weapons commonly owend by civilians for their usual porposes.

The "common use" reference:

The signification attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. "A body of citizens enrolled for military discipline." And further, that ordinarily, when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time.

Given the text of the ruling - Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment, or that its use could contribute to the common defense - it is impossible to discern that "common use" refers exclusively to commonly owned civilian weapons.

Read it.

The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution, the laws of the United States, and treaties made, or which shall be made, under their authority;--to all cases affecting ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls;--to all cases of admiralty and maritime jurisdiction;--to controversies to which the United States shall be a party;--to controversies between two or more states;--between a state and citizens of another state;--between citizens of different states;--between citizens of the same state claiming lands under grants of different states, and between a state, or the citizens thereof, and foreign states, citizens or subjects.

Article III section 2

Article III | U.S. Constitution | LII / Legal Information Institute

READ it. The US Supreme Court has final jurisdiction in ALL cases between a citizen and the federal Government, between 2 or more States and between the States and the Federal Government.

That means if A State or a person claims a law or edict by the Federal Government is not legal ( Not Constitutional) then if the Federal Courts will hear the case and make a Judgement on it Constitutional merit. Determine whether the State or the Federal Government is right. That is EXACTLY what the Constitution says.

READ IT. And explain what it means if not that.

The Bill of Rights are not a constitutional ruling beyond giving notice that the rights expressed and those not enumerated that the individual possesses are beyond the control of the government. We have the right to keep and bear arms, for the purpose of defense, whether the second amendment is there or not.
You can't amend the Bill of Rights, you can't delete it, because it is just a notice that the government cannot execute laws to the contrary. The only way to change it is to have a new constitution drafted and ratified again. Basically you would have to do away with the USA and start over. I am affraid that would cause a civil war.

If you want to show your support for the second go here:
http://ruger.com/micros/advocacy/index.html
click on the "Take action now" link on the right side of the page.
It will contact all your representatives and let them know that you support the second amendment.

Last edited:
You can't amend the Bill of Rights
?
Yes you can. The constitution provides a path to changing itself and that includes the bill of rights. It has not happened for the first 10 but to claim it is not possible is ignorant of the constitution itself.

Forum List

Back