For those that support banning 'assault weapns'

I would add that, no matter what you feel about 'majority rule,' a revolt that stemmed from a proper and legal amending of the constitution would be really short lived. Amending the constitution is a real pain in the ass and on order to do so you would need wide spread support FAR in excess of 50 percent.

Actually it would take less then 5 percent. Most people would remain neutral on the issue.
No, it would not. It is not easy to amend the constitution. In this current political climate it is essentially impossible. At no time will an amendment be ratifies with less than 5 percent of the people being behind it.
But of course the DoI is still relevant. Who said it wasnt? Good luck if you should try to revolt if the people use constitutional procedure to pass an amendment you dont like. The fact that you or others would revolt in auch a scenario has absolutely no bearing on the fact that the will of the people can amend the constitution.

Here's the rub...any action to amend the Constitution would be done by the will of less than half the people, given the division of this Nation.
No, it wouldn't. Again, you can't simply amend the constitution with the will of half the people. It won't happen because there is no amending it with half of anything. You would need 2/3 of both the house and senate and 3/5 of all the states to amend the constitution or the states can do it alone with 3/4.

You are not going to get majorities like that in the house and senate as well as in all the states with less than half of the people supporting said legislation.

We really need to stop this asinine idea that the constitution might get amended with a small majority or large minority segment. It won't happen. It takes to damn much to get an amendment passed.

While I agree you are essentially right on this point, that it takes a great deal to amend the Constitution, and that the current divisive political climate increases the unlikely event, I don't believe that this administration is playing by the rules. I believe that, barring a constitutional solution, this administration has proved willing, and able, to take matters into the hands of very few individuals (driven by their personal ideology), who will "legislate" as they see fit. Damn the Constitution.

Actually it would take less then 5 percent. Most people would remain neutral on the issue.
No, it would not. It is not easy to amend the constitution. In this current political climate it is essentially impossible. At no time will an amendment be ratifies with less than 5 percent of the people being behind it.
Here's the rub...any action to amend the Constitution would be done by the will of less than half the people, given the division of this Nation.
No, it wouldn't. Again, you can't simply amend the constitution with the will of half the people. It won't happen because there is no amending it with half of anything. You would need 2/3 of both the house and senate and 3/5 of all the states to amend the constitution or the states can do it alone with 3/4.

You are not going to get majorities like that in the house and senate as well as in all the states with less than half of the people supporting said legislation.

We really need to stop this asinine idea that the constitution might get amended with a small majority or large minority segment. It won't happen. It takes to damn much to get an amendment passed.

While I agree you are essentially right on this point, that it takes a great deal to amend the Constitution, and that the current divisive political climate increases the unlikely event, I don't believe that this administration is playing by the rules. I believe that, barring a constitutional solution, this administration has proved willing, and able, to take matters into the hands of very few individuals (driven by their personal ideology), who will "legislate" as they see fit. Damn the Constitution.

brotha rest easy, the SCOTUS is NOT going to let this administration take away your right to own guns.

And even if they did, who's going to enforce that? Answer NO ONE. You have nothing to fear , the NRA has you running scared.

Well, yes. I fear what the administration is going to do and what they are going to be able to shame the house into doing but I was speaking strictly to changing the constitution. That is another matter. As far as the current government crapping all over the document, they already have. Not much more than Bush did IMHO, but they are all the same.

This really is the problem now. People in general do not understand what the constitution is or even what basic rights are. This concept of 'society' has replaced it and now we do thing for the betterment of this societal concept. We are losing the individualism that made this nation and the idea of freedom all together. It is sad but almost inevitable as long as the general populous is fat, happy and wishes to remain ignorant.

Animal farm.

Well, yes. I fear what the administration is going to do and what they are going to be able to shame the house into doing but I was speaking strictly to changing the constitution. That is another matter. As far as the current government crapping all over the document, they already have. Not much more than Bush did IMHO, but they are all the same.

This really is the problem now. People in general do not understand what the constitution is or even what basic rights are. This concept of 'society' has replaced it and now we do thing for the betterment of this societal concept. We are losing the individualism that made this nation and the idea of freedom all together. It is sad but almost inevitable as long as the general populous is fat, happy and wishes to remain ignorant.

Animal farm.

After clarification, I believe we are in agreement.

Animal Farm, indeed.

Forum List

Back