For the Forum Audiophiles...

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
I just experienced one the coolest things ever... I have a rather decent, not seriously high end but certainly not bargain basement home theater. Starts with a Denon AVR-4810CI flagship model for 2010 home theater receiver, oppo UHD-203 4K disc player, LG 65 in. 4K tv, Bowers & Wilkins speakers all around and an SVS PB-2000 subwoofer. Bought the subwoofer not long after a pair of subs I had been running crapped out. This ONE SVS PB-2000 puts to SHAME the two subs I had together, but I just had an epiphany... I know some subs are sold with a granite base so for obvious reasons, and I just remembered that I had a slab of granite that I use to sand things on to square them up, well, it occurred to me that my slab of granite was almost the same size as my new SVS, so as I sat here jamming on tunes thinking my sub kinda booms, I decided to go out and grab the granite slab and bring it in and put it UNDER the sub... and... OH MY FUCKING GOD... took the BOOM right out. Tightened up the sub like it's a different sub.... absolutely INCREDIBLE the difference... just INCREDIBLE. Now if you're not an audiophile, your response is going to be so the fuck what. But if you ARE an audiophile, and you have a sub in your home theater or stereo listening system, you are REALLY going to want to find a slab of granite you can put under your sub. You won't believe your ears how it TIGHTENS IT UP.

Never had sex with my stereo ... but it's on my bucket list.

Never had sex with my stereo ... but it's on my bucket list.
The SVS subs are probably the best bang for the buck buys on the planet as far as subs go. Magnolia Home Theater wouldn't sell them if they weren't. This PB-2000 has 1100 watts of digitally controlled A/B amplification and will shake the walls all the way down to 17 hertz, lower than a human can hear, but you sure as hell can feel it. Would I recommend anyone buy one? Not only yeah, but HELL yeah, at $800, it's a no brainer... and put granite under it... :rock:

20170523_231540_zpsnskfumjr.jpg

20170523_231505_zps6w3ipvrl.jpg

20170523_231327_zpsp0llftmm.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still just blown away the difference... the sub was shaking itself because it shook the floor, which obviously was causing distortions by vibrating itself and that caused distortions in the speaker itself. They HAVE to be solid. They CAN'T move, ANY speaker. The more solid they are the better they'll sound. If they shake themselves then that just distorts the sound. Now the sub blends seamlessly with the front L/R speakers like it should. Sounds incredible. Hopefully with all the people here there's another audiophile that will find this interesting and helpful. I'd say the granite slab I put under the sub is probably around 80 lbs.

Last edited:
You could also experiment with an Iso-Acoustic stand and compare the difference. Iso-Acoustics will do a better job at decoupling the sub from the floor.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
You could also experiment with an Iso-Acoustic stand and compare the difference. Iso-Acoustics will do a better job at decoupling the sub from the floor.
Seems to be a different idea there. The ISO-Acoustic stand is intended to isolate a component from vibration. Nice unit no doubt. But in the case of this sub, the idea is to eliminate vibrations from itself by shear weight and density. The granite base servers the purpose of creating a platform that is more stable and resistant to vibration by virtue of mass, thus less likely to feed vibration back to the speaker itself which lowers distortion.

Thanks for the tip though. Those iso stands do have a definite purpose.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back