Food stamps or junk food stamps?

years and years ago, Lobster was considered a "poor mans food"
because anyone could row out in a boat and drop a trap and get some
but with the commercialization of it lobster is not that plentiful anymore

It's still a poor man's food if you live in a fishing community in Maine.

But it's disengenuous to imply that lobster isn't an expensive food, when it remains expensive everywhere except the eastern sea board.
no, it isnt
because you cant just row a boat out and drop a trap anymore
its too regulated
about the only way you can get a lobster without buying a very expensive license now is to be a scuba diver
and then you better make damn sure you are no where near any set traps when you grab that lobster

Or you can pull up someone else's trap if you don't mind running the risk of getting shot.

Of course I would never do anything like that. :eusa_angel:
icon14.gif

But it's disengenuous to imply that lobster isn't an expensive food, when it remains expensive everywhere except the eastern sea board.
no, it isnt
its too regulated
about the only way you can get a lobster without buying a very expensive license now is to be a scuba diver
and then you better make damn sure you are no where near any set traps when you grab that lobster

Or you can pull up someone else's trap if you don't mind running the risk of getting shot.

icon14.gif

Some people don't believe me when I tell them it's legal for lobstermen to shoot anyone illegally pulling up one of their traps.

no, it isnt
its too regulated

icon14.gif

Some people don't believe me when I tell them it's legal for lobstermen to shoot anyone illegally pulling up one of their traps.
people are cutting lines and sinking boats up here

scary isnt it

I believe you.

My uncles used to drops rocks on scuba divers who were robbing their crab pots.

no, it isnt
its too regulated

icon14.gif

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXgK9OfDkgo]YouTube - Seinfeld_The Hamptons[/ame]

I'm still surprised that the price difference is THAT much.

I guess it costs a shitload more to transport live lobster than it does to pull it from the ocean.
Yeah, it's expensive. Most suppliers ship them in dry ice. Dry ice is considered a hazardous material. That adds to the shipping price. Handling them adds to the shipping price.

And i'm quite sure that fresh Alaskan King Crab is far more expensive on the east coast then it is on the west coast, for the exact same reasons. The farther away you get from the source, the higher the price.

It's like how in NJ we pay a lot less for gasoline than what the national average is, even with attendants being paid to pump our gas for us...There's a lot of refineries in the state, so the gasoline hasn't been marked up due to shipping.

It's like how in NJ we pay a lot less for gasoline than what the national average is, even with attendants being paid to pump our gas for us...There's a lot of refineries in the state, so the gasoline hasn't been marked up due to shipping.

Now that is something i just hate about SF. The refinery is 30 miles away and we are still paying $3.50 a gallon.

Now that is something i just hate about SF. The refinery is 30 miles away and we are still paying $3.50 a gallon.

San Francisco's not part of the U.S., it doesn't count :lol:

San Francisco's not part of the U.S., it doesn't count :lol:

LMAO... i think your right about that one!

Are food stamps "food" stamps or all you can eat junk food stamps?

Considering that the government is now telling us what we can and cant eat, should or shouldn't eat, should be be limiting foods that you can and cant purchase with food stamps?

We are banning sodas from schools and city property because they are bad for your health. We are telling corporations what they can and cant sell. I.E. McD's happy meals having to many calories and fat and forcing company's to get rid of trans fats in food.

My question is should the food stamp program allow "junk" food to be purchased on tax payers dollars? Should soda, chips, candy, pre-made cookies and cakes now be disallowed?

I was always under the impression that the food stamps program was to provide the necessities. I would consider soda, candy and junk/snack food as lkuxuries.

Junk "food" stamps should be eliminated. There is no reason to expect steak or orange soda or a candy bar should be subsidized by tax monies.

Forum List

Back