Food Stamp Recipients Outnumber Populations of 24 States Combined

Work may be a four letter word but there is no dishonor in it.

Do you have any idea how many of those people collecting food stamps ARE working? This is what happens when you have a minimum wage that has the lowest spending power in history. We, the taxpayers, are in effect supplementing the wages for corporations like Walmart. They refuse to pay their employees a living wage, so their employees qualify for assistance which we the taxpayer provide.

a living wage, what do you say that should be?
I work for a school district and they start a person out at 9.50 an hour..one year we got a 25cent raise..

Many Republicans say you are overpaid.

Obama is transforming America from a successful, prosperous nation into Kenya
That's because he loves his homeland, place of birth. He needs to turn America into the same third world shit hole kenya is so he can return there someday to seek refuge from America extradition and prosecution...

proof-obama-was-born-in-kenya-raised-muslim-not-in-hawaii.jpg

Capture--2.jpg

bs_obama.jpg

Do you have any idea how many of those people collecting food stamps ARE working? This is what happens when you have a minimum wage that has the lowest spending power in history. We, the taxpayers, are in effect supplementing the wages for corporations like Walmart. They refuse to pay their employees a living wage, so their employees qualify for assistance which we the taxpayer provide.

a living wage, what do you say that should be?
I work for a school district and they start a person out at 9.50 an hour..one year we got a 25cent raise..

Many Republicans say you are overpaid.

you don't get it do you. their starting pay NO MORE than Walmart..So my school is paying POVERTY wages according to most of you, not a LIVING wage..

Last edited:
A living wage is what people work toward, not start out at.

If you are 35 with a family, and you are still making minimum wage because you have been in the same job for the past 20 years; it is not the wage that is the problem.

If you are 35 with a family, and you are still making minimum wage because you have been in the same job for the past 20 years; it is not the wage that is the problem.

true
but you can't tell some people that.
I advanced my pay in my school by becoming a baker, next would be assisant manager, then manager

Sorry, but a living wage is what people used to start out at and our economy was much better than it is today. Of course the top tax rate was also 70% at the time and our corporations weren't shipping our jobs overseas, go figure.....

In the richest country in the world, the lowest paid worker should make a living wage.

You work up to more so you can support a family...the bottom should always be a living wage and when it's not, it's the taxpayer that foots the bill, further subsidizing the corporations, but you don't care about that, do you? Corporate welfare is all good with you, just as long as the working people don't get any of it.

Exclusive: Food Stamp Recipients Outnumber Populations of 24 States Combined​

by Wynton Hall
23 Nov 2012

An analysis by Breitbart News has found that the number of individuals on food stamps now exceeds the combined populations of 24 states and the District of Columbia.

In November, the U.S. Department of Agriculture reported that a record 47,102,780 individuals receive food stamps.

According to US. Census Bureau data, that figure exceeds the combined populations of: Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Since January 2009, the number of individuals on food stamps has skyrocketed from 31.9 million to the current record high 47.1 million. By comparison, in 1969 just 2.8 million Americans received food stamps.

Last year, the food stamp program (officially known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP) cost taxpayers $72 billion, more than double the $30 billion spent four years ago.

[excerpt]

Read more:
Exclusive: Food Stamp Recipients Outnumber Populations of 24 States Combined

Would you feel better, personally, if all those recipients simply did without?

I'd personally feel better if they were all able to work and didn't need food stamps, however this administration seems hell bent on keeping them on stamps.

Most people who are receiving food stamps do work. Try supporting a family with what Walmart pays.

Sorry, but a living wage is what people used to start out at and our economy was much better than it is today. Of course the top tax rate was also 70% at the time and our corporations weren't shipping our jobs overseas, go figure.....

In the richest country in the world, the lowest paid worker should make a living wage.

You work up to more so you can support a family...the bottom should always be a living wage and when it's not, it's the taxpayer that foots the bill, further subsidizing the corporations, but you don't care about that, do you? Corporate welfare is all good with you, just as long as the working people don't get any of it.

Really? Where did you hear that garbage?
The notion of a "living wage" is a myth. A myth forwarded by union supporters and the lazy slackers who think that because they "put it time" deserve to be paid high wages.
It is not surprising a whiny person such as yourself buys into this garbage.
We each are responsible for improving our situation. If one's wages are not adequate for the type of lifestyle one wishes to have, you do what you must to improve that situation on your own. We ALL have choices.
Improvise overcome adapt.
" Ican't afford to my house payments/rent on the wages my mean rotten boss pays me."...That doesn't cut any ice.
The answer is. Don't buy what one cannot afford. If the rent it more than one can afford, move to where the rent is affordable. OR......WOW!! Improve one's skill set , go to school, etc so one CAN afford their desired lifestyle.

Last edited:
America should have listened to David Duke decades ago. He knew this food stamp problem would become a out of control epidemic.

I'd personally feel better if they were all able to work and didn't need food stamps, however this administration seems hell bent on keeping them on stamps.

No it doesn't, you filthy god damn liar.

Wow, concise, and so fact filled, just what I have come to expect from someone with your mentality.

The programs, the policies of this administration and of past administrations, encourage high food stamp participation. They have done nothing to curb it, maybe you can enlighten me on what programs have been instituted by this administration to turn the tide.

People like bovine man are already angry. It doesn't take much to set off their trigger.
Bring out the facts that prove their agenda is a failure and watch the sparks fly.

So? The number of people with diagnosed mental problems exceeds the population of Wyoming too. So what?

I can't help but wonder what mental gymnastics one has to go through to be surprised that the number of food stamps recipients goes up during hard economic times.

Gee...who'da thunk it? :rolleyes:

obama's economy and war on business sucks donut?

Business' war on the middle class sucks, doesn't it?

Nice try. Not true.

[

What kind of programs to reduce food stamp use would you like to see?

What is utterly hilarious is that the guys who think that busting unions, shipping jobs overseas, making it possible to fire an employee for what they put on their facebook page, and all the other indignities imposed on working people are sooo upset there are so many people on Food Stamps.

Frankly, I don't like the fact we have so many folks on foodstamps, but the solution I would like to see is for everyone to have a job.

And if the private sector won't provide them, we raise taxes like FDR did and have the government provide them.

How about answering the question instead of bleating your pro union talking points?
It is not the job of government to provide work for unmotivated people or those who believe they are entitled to free medical insurance, a free pension, and high wages for unskilled work.
Anyone who believes the federal government can simply waive a magic wand, create a new confiscation of assets for the purpose of creating make work jobs is living in a dream world. Simply put, it is just not possible.
I think France is your best bet.

Would you feel better, personally, if all those recipients simply did without?

Oh yea, that makes sense. Do you have any more "Dew Wacky"? I want to try some.

The proof that increasing the numbers of people taking public assistance is the goal of this President is in the numbers. MORE people now than ever as a percentage of the population are taking public assistance. 14 plus % of us are out of work, or have given up looking for work The federal government has taken control( starting in 2014) 1/6th of the US economy. The Obama admin has achieved a pile of new taxes and regulations AND open ended law with the passage of ACA. Yes, the Sec'y of Health Human Services now has broad invulnerable powers to create new laws and new taxes beyond the reach of the US Congress. And because a Supreme Court Justice decided to cave into pressure from the Obama admin, ruled ACA is a tax, allowing the law to stand as is.
Justice Roberts forgot his position is not that of an advocate but as an arbiter. We will all be very sorry for it.

From 2001 to 2008, millions of jobs were moved to China. Worse, the Republican base hates education, thinking it's for snobs. It's why so many get food stamps. Obama wants them fed, Republicans couldn't care less if their own base starves.

Millions? Prove it.

You're joking, right?

2.4 million jobs lost due to China from 2001-2008

10 States Losing the Most Jobs to China | Fox Business

Unfair China Trade Costs Local Jobs | Economic Policy Institute

The economic populist? Yer kidding right? This site takes the words of ONE person who no doubt has done some pretty fancy tap dancing, produces a bunch of well rounded numbers. BTW, the link says "displaced" workers. It does not say to where.
No one without the ability to physically count every person who lost a job and compare that to a specific person doing the SAME job in China can prove your theory.
This is shitty journalism. It is obvious the writer of this blog has decided that for every job created in a factory in China is equivalent to a person losing a job in the US.
Question....If a Continental General tire plant in the US with 1,000 workers closes , but 1,000 workers are offered jobs in other plants, while a Good Year tire plant in China opens with 1,000 workers, would you consider that 1,000 jobs "sent" to China?
And...Is it necessarily just as horrible if for instance that identical scenario occurs only the new overseas plant is located say in The Czech Republic? BTW, do not pooh pooh that, 75% of all hockey pucks are made in the Czech Republic. So there is certainly a rubber manufacturing industry there.
I am not interested in any commentary. Just answer the question.
Yeah yeah yeah.. I saw the link you attributed to fox business. Nice try. It's a reprint from Wall Street 24/7..
Why are you not examining the reasons as to why US Manufacturing is allegedly losing jobs to China?
On a related matter. What type of course work is typical in most high schools? What do most high schools have as their goal for student preparation for after graduation?
One of the most common gripes of manufacturing, skilled trades and technical industrial companies is the number of unfilled jobs due to the lack of qualified applicants.
Here's the problem. College graduates do not want to work in a factory. The typical college grad turns up his nose at that image. High School graduates unless they have completed specific course work, are not qualified in most manufacturing environments.
The article has some valid points with which I agree. However the writer fails to explain WHY these jobs are supposedly "moving" to China..
The Chinese governments refusal to allow the nation's currency to float on the open market is just ONE issue as to why this is happening.
At the end of the discussion, rdean's claim that "millions" of US jobs have been deliberately and maliciously shipped to China just to screw American workers is patently false.
Flame away.

Last edited:

Really? Where did you hear that garbage?
The notion of a "living wage" is a myth. A myth forwarded by union supporters and the lazy slackers who think that because they "put it time" deserve to be paid high wages.
It is not surprising a whiny person such as yourself buys into this garbage.
We each are responsible for improving our situation. If one's wages are not adequate for the type of lifestyle one wishes to have, you do what you must to improve that situation on your own. We ALL have choices.
Improvise overcome adapt.
" Ican't afford to my house payments/rent on the wages my mean rotten boss pays me."...That doesn't cut any ice.
The answer is. Don't buy what one cannot afford. If the rent it more than one can afford, move to where the rent is affordable. OR......WOW!! Improve one's skill set , go to school, etc so one CAN afford their desired lifestyle.

So, what world is it you live in again? You sure as heck don't live in this one, where hundreds of thousands of college graduates aren't getting jobs....

New Topics

Forum List

Back