flu shots?

No offense, but that is just stupid.

Other than the very last sentence, which he clearly stated was simply his own OPINION, what exactly is stupid about the rest?

I was referring specifically to his last statement. However, the flu shot does NOT give one the flu. He's right that you may still come down with the flu, but it's not because of the vaccine.

You're an idiot! I never said the vaccine gave me the flu! You call my opinion stupid yet you are not bright enough to comprehend written english language.

will you take the regular flu shot....

will you take the swine flu shot....

will you give this shot to your kids....

why or why not.

If you live in my state and don't get it you can be quarantened in prison.

No. That's in the event of a declared public health emergency/pandemic. If things get bad enough for them to implement that, you won't want to leave your house.

No offense, but that is just stupid.

I've lived my entire life without a flu vaccine (with that one exception) and I've made it out ok.

The CDC lists a number of people who should not take the vaccine, because the known dangers of flu shots would be to great for them. People who are allergic to eggs should not take the vaccine. This has to do with the manner in which the viruses are grown. People who have had a reaction to a flu shot in the past should not take the vaccine, without consulting their physician. The CDC does not explain the flu shot risks associated with past reactions or if typical flu shot side effects which include fever, body aches and soreness, redness or swelling at the point of injection, should be of concern.

Guillain-Barre syndrome may be one of the dangers of flu shots. This is a disease in which the body damages it's own nerve cells resulting in muscle weakness, paralysis and sometimes permanent nerve damage. The syndrome was first associated with the swine flu shots of 1976, but a subsequent study concluded that Guillain-Barre syndrome was one of the possible flu shot risks. The CDC recommends that anyone who suffered from Guillain-Barre syndrome in the past should consult their doctor before taking an annual flu shot. Risks may be minor, but are still of concern. Concerns about the dangers of flu shots lead many to seek alternatives and the best alternatives are efforts to build and protect a healthy immune system, while practicing good health habits.

Although the Center for Disease Control (CDC) advises that the single best way to protect yourself from seasonal flu is to get an annual vaccine. Most of the controversy surrounding the dangers of flu shots involves an ingredient called thimerosal, which is commonly used by pharmaceutical companies as a preservative. Some doctors and scientists believe that flu shot risks are only slightly increased by the presence of thimerosal in the vaccine, however a group of doctors and scientists recently established a link between thimerosal presence in vaccines and autism. Because of this link, New York recently passed a law banning the use of thimerosal in vaccines or flu shots to be given to young children and pregnant women.

What exactly is it that you say is "stupid"?
The 'weak-minded' comment.

My comment was meant to offend weak-minded people. Looks like I've succeeded!

Other than the very last sentence, which he clearly stated was simply his own OPINION, what exactly is stupid about the rest?

I was referring specifically to his last statement. However, the flu shot does NOT give one the flu. He's right that you may still come down with the flu, but it's not because of the vaccine.

You're an idiot! I never said the vaccine gave me the flu! You call my opinion stupid yet you are not bright enough to comprehend written english language.
Emma's anything but an idiot..... But actually, the way vaccines work is they DO give you the targeted disease -- in a very minor form. This is so your body can build antibodies to that targeted virus or malady, without you suffering the symptoms in any noticeable way.

Apparently you lack comprehension as well. I've stated twice so far that what I considered stupid was this comment ---> "It's basically for weak-minded individuals so they can feel good about themselves"

I can't see how the "are you getting the flu shot?" question can turn in to a full-fleded argument. It's simply a yes, or no question. You're either getting it, or you're not. In this, nobody is going to change anyone else's mind. :rolleyes:

I've got better things to spend $24 on.

I've lived my entire life without a flu vaccine (with that one exception) and I've made it out ok.

The CDC lists a number of people who should not take the vaccine, because the known dangers of flu shots would be to great for them. People who are allergic to eggs should not take the vaccine. This has to do with the manner in which the viruses are grown. People who have had a reaction to a flu shot in the past should not take the vaccine, without consulting their physician. The CDC does not explain the flu shot risks associated with past reactions or if typical flu shot side effects which include fever, body aches and soreness, redness or swelling at the point of injection, should be of concern.

Guillain-Barre syndrome may be one of the dangers of flu shots. This is a disease in which the body damages it's own nerve cells resulting in muscle weakness, paralysis and sometimes permanent nerve damage. The syndrome was first associated with the swine flu shots of 1976, but a subsequent study concluded that Guillain-Barre syndrome was one of the possible flu shot risks. The CDC recommends that anyone who suffered from Guillain-Barre syndrome in the past should consult their doctor before taking an annual flu shot. Risks may be minor, but are still of concern. Concerns about the dangers of flu shots lead many to seek alternatives and the best alternatives are efforts to build and protect a healthy immune system, while practicing good health habits.

Although the Center for Disease Control (CDC) advises that the single best way to protect yourself from seasonal flu is to get an annual vaccine. Most of the controversy surrounding the dangers of flu shots involves an ingredient called thimerosal, which is commonly used by pharmaceutical companies as a preservative. Some doctors and scientists believe that flu shot risks are only slightly increased by the presence of thimerosal in the vaccine, however a group of doctors and scientists recently established a link between thimerosal presence in vaccines and autism. Because of this link, New York recently passed a law banning the use of thimerosal in vaccines or flu shots to be given to young children and pregnant women.

What exactly is it that you say is "stupid"?

The only person I've seen here get offended is you. So I suppose you did succeed.

will you take the regular flu shot....

Yes.

will you take the swine flu shot....

Yes.

will you give this shot to your kids....

Yes.

why?

So we don't get the flu.
Have you seen anyone yet with H1N1?

We have a sickle cell patient who I am very suspicious might have it (mid-20's, high fevers, flu-like illness); he came up negative on his flu swab, but a negative doesn't rule out the swine flu...

I may have had a swine flu earlier this summer. Otherwise (knock on wood) not much.

ahhhhhhhhhh i just dont know...the guys refuse to take any flu shots....i work with the public....i take the pneumonia shot which is every 8 years or so....

i know a lot of it has to do with when you take the shot.....they do say around all saints eve is the best time.

Actually, the pneumonia shot is once prior to age 65 if you have some sort of chronic disease, and then once after age 65 for everyone.

So the max you should receive in your lifetime is 2. Any more than that is just overkill and a big waste of money (the cost for each shot is $30-50.)

Emma's anything but an idiot..... But actually, the way vaccines work is they DO give you the targeted disease -- in a very minor form. This is so your body can build antibodies to that targeted virus or malady, without you suffering the symptoms in any noticeable way.

That's your opinion.

I understand the theory behind vaccinations, my point is, there are no guarantees. I have had the flu shot and that very year came down with the worst case of the flu in my life. Now it could have been coincidence, but the fact remains I was vaccinated against the flu and still came down with the flu. The bottom line is the vaccination did not protect me from the flu.

No no and no.

The worst case of the flu I ever had was after I was vaccinated. The flu shot does not guarantee you will not get the flu. It's basically for weak-minded individuals so they can feel good about themselves. IMHO

Then you should be getting it.

That's your opinion.
Based on, knowing her and interacting with her on the net for what, five years or more?
I understand the theory behind vaccinations, my point is, there are no guarantees. I have had the flu shot and that very year came down with the worst case of the flu in my life. Now it could have been coincidence, but the fact remains I was vaccinated against the flu and still came down with the flu. The bottom line is the vaccination did not protect me from the flu.
Nothing is 100%, that's true. As I said earlier, as soon as I was old enough to tell them "NO, thanks" I have done so.

Apparently you lack comprehension as well. I've stated twice so far that what I considered stupid was this comment ---> "It's basically for weak-minded individuals so they can feel good about themselves"

I'll try to explain this so even you can understand.

My first post asking what exactly is it that you thought was stupid was written before I read dis' response and your answer. Sheesh and someone said you were anything but an idiot. I'm wondering what that "anytihing" could be.

In my experience, you're more likely to come down with it if you get the shot, than if you don't. I'm not using 2-3 people as an example, either. I'm using pretty much everyone I know, including my employees. One of my girls got the shot last year, and was down within 3 days. She's never missed a singe day of work in over 2 years of working for me.

And is that your professional opinion?

My sample size is 124 since Labor Day...no illnesses.

The only person I've seen here get offended is you. So I suppose you did succeed.

You ar eindeed an idiot if you think for a minute I was offended it's quite the contrary, I rather enjoyed watching you fumble around trying to make a valid point. And you haven't succeeded yet.

No no and no.

The worst case of the flu I ever had was after I was vaccinated. The flu shot does not guarantee you will not get the flu. It's basically for weak-minded individuals so they can feel good about themselves. IMHO

Then you should be getting it.

No I don't need any stinking flu shot!!

But I bet you get one!! Or have you gotten one already?

Stress related ones. But not the ones you get vaccinated for.

It can affect your immune system so that when you ARE infected, you get sicker. But it won't cause the infection.
Oddly enough, for some reason that total lack of fear and positive mental attitude about health just keeps folks from ever getting sick.

I'm walking, talking proof of it. As was my dad, my grandfather, several aunts and uncles....

Never underestimate the power of the mind.

Are you one of those people who is "perfectly healthy...haven't been to the doctor in 30 years"?

Those people invariably have diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and early heart disease.

But what do I know....

ahhhhhhhhhh i just dont know...the guys refuse to take any flu shots....i work with the public....i take the pneumonia shot which is every 8 years or so....

i know a lot of it has to do with when you take the shot.....they do say around all saints eve is the best time.

Actually, the pneumonia shot is once prior to age 65 if you have some sort of chronic disease, and then once after age 65 for everyone.

So the max you should receive in your lifetime is 2. Any more than that is just overkill and a big waste of money (the cost for each shot is $30-50.)

thanks xox.....i was referring to the flu shot on all saints eve...

Forum List

Back