flu shots?

Never got a flu shot and will not be getting any this year either. Knock on wood, I'm perfectly healthy and I rarely get sick enough that I don't get up and go any way.

Here's some good info for those with young children and those who are otherwise at risk:

CDC H1N1 Flu | Questions & Answers Novel H1N1 Influenza Vaccine

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu)

CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) has recommended that certain groups of the population receive the 2009 H1N1 vaccine when it first becomes available. These target groups include pregnant women, people who live with or care for children younger than 6 months of age, healthcare and emergency medical services personnel, persons between the ages of 6 months and 24 years old, and people ages of 25 through 64 years of age who are at higher risk for 2009 H1N1 because of chronic health disorders or compromised immune systems.

We do not expect that there will be a shortage of 2009 H1N1 vaccine, but availability and demand can be unpredictable. There is some possibility that initially the vaccine will be available in limited quantities. In this setting, the committee recommended that the following groups receive the vaccine before others: pregnant women, people who live with or care for children younger than 6 months of age, health care and emergency medical services personnel with direct patient contact, children 6 months through 4 years of age, and children 5 through 18 years of age who have chronic medical conditions.

The committee recognized the need to assess supply and demand issues at the local level. The committee further recommended that once the demand for vaccine for these target groups has been met at the local level, programs and providers should begin vaccinating everyone from ages 25 through 64 years. Current studies indicate the risk for infection among persons age 65 or older is less than the risk for younger age groups. Therefore, as vaccine supply and demand for vaccine among younger age groups is being met, programs and providers should offer vaccination to people over the age of 65.

I have never taken any vaccine since I was old enough to control whether I did or not. I have never been sick one day in my life. Not so much as a sniffle. Living in fear of getting sick, can make you sick. And it does, for alot of folks.

HOWEVER....I've eaten and worked very, very closely with ppl with AIDS, Hep, you name it, and there comes a point where you can choose to worry about it and refuse to get down and dirty with them, or you just think, you know, this is the population I work with, it's a chance I take and I'm not going to be hands-off because I think I might ingest a bug.

Stress related ones. But not the ones you get vaccinated for.

It can affect your immune system so that when you ARE infected, you get sicker. But it won't cause the infection.

Stress related ones. But not the ones you get vaccinated for.

It can affect your immune system so that when you ARE infected, you get sicker. But it won't cause the infection.
Oddly enough, for some reason that total lack of fear and positive mental attitude about health just keeps folks from ever getting sick.

I'm walking, talking proof of it. As was my dad, my grandfather, several aunts and uncles....

Never underestimate the power of the mind.

will you take the regular flu shot....

will you take the swine flu shot....

will you give this shot to your kids....

why or why not.

If you live in my state and don't get it you can be quarantened in prison.

Welcome to the nanny state.

Bill s18 mandates:

(1) to require the owner or occupier of premises to permit entry into and investigation of the premises;
(2) to close, direct, and compel the evacuation of, or to decontaminate or cause to be decontaminated any building or facility, and to allow the reopening of the building or facility when the danger has ended;
(3) to decontaminate or cause to be decontaminated, or to destroy any material;
(4) to restrict or prohibit assemblages of persons;
(5) to require a health care facility to provide services or the use of its facility, or to transfer the management and supervision of the health care facility to the department or to a local public health authority;
(6) to control ingress to and egress from any stricken or threatened public area, and the movement of persons and materials within the area;
(7) to adopt and enforce measures to provide for the safe disposal of infectious waste and human remains, provided that religious, cultural, family, and individual beliefs of the deceased person shall be followed to the extent possible when disposing of human remains, whenever that may be done without endangering the public health;
(8) to procure, take immediate possession from any source, store, or distribute any anti-toxins, serums, vaccines, immunizing agents, antibiotics, and other pharmaceutical agents or medical supplies located within the commonwealth as may be necessary to respond to the emergency;
(9) to require in-state health care providers to assist in the performance of vaccination, treatment, examination, or testing of any individual as a condition of licensure, authorization, or the ability to continue to function as a health care provider in the commonwealth

Any person who knowingly violates an order of the commissioner or his or her designee, or of a local public health authority or its designee, given to effectuate the purposes of this subsection shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or by a fine of note more than one thousand dollars, or both.

Last edited:
It has very little to do with the mind. It has to do wtih genetics, your immune system, God's grace and what you're routinely exposed to.

And what you react to. I've seen men who don't even notice they're sick until they literally are on their backs and can't move. They will not admit they are sick.

No no and no.

The worst case of the flu I ever had was after I was vaccinated. The flu shot does not guarantee you will not get the flu. It's basically for weak-minded individuals so they can feel good about themselves. IMHO

No offense, but that is just stupid.

I've lived my entire life without a flu vaccine (with that one exception) and I've made it out ok.

The CDC lists a number of people who should not take the vaccine, because the known dangers of flu shots would be to great for them. People who are allergic to eggs should not take the vaccine. This has to do with the manner in which the viruses are grown. People who have had a reaction to a flu shot in the past should not take the vaccine, without consulting their physician. The CDC does not explain the flu shot risks associated with past reactions or if typical flu shot side effects which include fever, body aches and soreness, redness or swelling at the point of injection, should be of concern.

Guillain-Barre syndrome may be one of the dangers of flu shots. This is a disease in which the body damages it's own nerve cells resulting in muscle weakness, paralysis and sometimes permanent nerve damage. The syndrome was first associated with the swine flu shots of 1976, but a subsequent study concluded that Guillain-Barre syndrome was one of the possible flu shot risks. The CDC recommends that anyone who suffered from Guillain-Barre syndrome in the past should consult their doctor before taking an annual flu shot. Risks may be minor, but are still of concern. Concerns about the dangers of flu shots lead many to seek alternatives and the best alternatives are efforts to build and protect a healthy immune system, while practicing good health habits.

Although the Center for Disease Control (CDC) advises that the single best way to protect yourself from seasonal flu is to get an annual vaccine. Most of the controversy surrounding the dangers of flu shots involves an ingredient called thimerosal, which is commonly used by pharmaceutical companies as a preservative. Some doctors and scientists believe that flu shot risks are only slightly increased by the presence of thimerosal in the vaccine, however a group of doctors and scientists recently established a link between thimerosal presence in vaccines and autism. Because of this link, New York recently passed a law banning the use of thimerosal in vaccines or flu shots to be given to young children and pregnant women.

What exactly is it that you say is "stupid"?

It has very little to do with the mind.
Therefore, the placebo effect is a myth? It's not, it's scientifically proven.

If you believe in the placebo effect, you also have to believe it works in the reverse, and it does.

Now, the placebo effect isn't 100% Nothing is. But instead of teaching kids to live in fear of disease, sickness, etc they should be teaching internal wellness.

Your mind DOES have the power to heal, and the power to ward off illness.

No no and no.

The worst case of the flu I ever had was after I was vaccinated. The flu shot does not guarantee you will not get the flu. It's basically for weak-minded individuals so they can feel good about themselves. IMHO

No offense, but that is just stupid.

I've lived my entire life without a flu vaccine (with that one exception) and I've made it out ok.

The CDC lists a number of people who should not take the vaccine, because the known dangers of flu shots would be to great for them. People who are allergic to eggs should not take the vaccine. This has to do with the manner in which the viruses are grown. People who have had a reaction to a flu shot in the past should not take the vaccine, without consulting their physician. The CDC does not explain the flu shot risks associated with past reactions or if typical flu shot side effects which include fever, body aches and soreness, redness or swelling at the point of injection, should be of concern.

Guillain-Barre syndrome may be one of the dangers of flu shots. This is a disease in which the body damages it's own nerve cells resulting in muscle weakness, paralysis and sometimes permanent nerve damage. The syndrome was first associated with the swine flu shots of 1976, but a subsequent study concluded that Guillain-Barre syndrome was one of the possible flu shot risks. The CDC recommends that anyone who suffered from Guillain-Barre syndrome in the past should consult their doctor before taking an annual flu shot. Risks may be minor, but are still of concern. Concerns about the dangers of flu shots lead many to seek alternatives and the best alternatives are efforts to build and protect a healthy immune system, while practicing good health habits.

Although the Center for Disease Control (CDC) advises that the single best way to protect yourself from seasonal flu is to get an annual vaccine. Most of the controversy surrounding the dangers of flu shots involves an ingredient called thimerosal, which is commonly used by pharmaceutical companies as a preservative. Some doctors and scientists believe that flu shot risks are only slightly increased by the presence of thimerosal in the vaccine, however a group of doctors and scientists recently established a link between thimerosal presence in vaccines and autism. Because of this link, New York recently passed a law banning the use of thimerosal in vaccines or flu shots to be given to young children and pregnant women.

What exactly is it that you say is "stupid"?
The 'weak-minded' comment.

why or why not.

Bill s18 mandates:

(1) to require the owner or occupier of premises to permit entry into and investigation of the premises;
(2) to close, direct, and compel the evacuation of, or to decontaminate or cause to be decontaminated any building or facility, and to allow the reopening of the building or facility when the danger has ended;
(5) to require a health care facility to provide services or the use of its facility, or to transfer the management and supervision of the health care facility to the department or to a local public health authority;
(6) to control ingress to and egress from any stricken or threatened public area, and the movement of persons and materials within the area;
(7) to adopt and enforce measures to provide for the safe disposal of infectious waste and human remains, provided that religious, cultural, family, and individual beliefs of the deceased person shall be followed to the extent possible when disposing of human remains, whenever that may be done without endangering the public health;
(8) to procure, take immediate possession from any source, store, or distribute any anti-toxins, serums, vaccines, immunizing agents, antibiotics, and other pharmaceutical agents or medical supplies located within the commonwealth as may be necessary to respond to the emergency;
(9) to require in-state health care providers to assist in the performance of vaccination, treatment, examination, or testing of any individual as a condition of licensure, authorization, or the ability to continue to function as a health care provider in the commonwealth

Any person who knowingly violates an order of the commissioner or his or her designee, or of a local public health authority or its designee, given to effectuate the purposes of this subsection shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or by a fine of note more than one thousand dollars, or both.

:lol: What does any of that have to do with people being forced to get flu shots? :cuckoo: I think you misunderstood.

why or why not.

Bill s18 mandates:

:lol: What does any of that have to do with people being forced to get flu shots? :cuckoo: I think you misunderstood.

I was exagerating for effect ;). We can discuss here if you want http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...-s18-allows-the-violation-of-your-rights.html

No no and no.

But just think...you might have died if you hadn't had the shot. It might have been worse.

My mom's a nurse, and she swears by them. She says you might get sick, but they almost always will boost your immune system so though you get sick, you don't get AS sick.

Of course, vaccines are always a gamble. They take the virus and have to put it through so many generations and mess with it, and hope they've chosen the one that will be widespread, and that by the time the vaccine comes out it hasn't mutated. It's also about timing....the reason the health authorities don't like to make the flu shots available too soon is that if they do, it's conceivable that the wild virus will mutate by the end of the season and ppl who are vaccinated could still get sick.

The flu vaccine does not guarantee you will not ge tthe flu nor does it guarantee you will not die from the flu. If you have evidence to the contrary then I'm willing to listen.

I'm old enough to remember the swine flu vaccinations in the 70's that caused at least 25 deaths and is said to have caused hundreds of rare cases of Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

Here's a related article:

CBS 60 Minutes: 300 death claims from 1976 swine flu vaccine, only one death from flu

HOWEVER....I've eaten and worked very, very closely with ppl with AIDS, Hep, you name it, and there comes a point where you can choose to worry about it and refuse to get down and dirty with them, or you just think, you know, this is the population I work with, it's a chance I take and I'm not going to be hands-off because I think I might ingest a bug.

Speaking of ingesting a bug... one of our HIV+ patients hawked a loogie into the mouth of one of my (pregnant) coworkers. She was a basket case for a while...

Forum List

Back