Flu Shot

That's because they're injecting you with a mild dose of the actual flu bug.

And if your immune system happens to be in a weakened state at the time, you could come down with the flu.

Some are made from recombinant DNA. The one with the attenuated viruses made me sick as well.

Granny says get yer flu shot so ya don't get the flu an' give it to ever'body else...
:cool:
Flu is widespread in RI; unimmunized health-care workers must wear masks
December 6, 2012 - Rhode Island Health Director Michael D. Fine has declared that flu is widespread statewide, and health-care workers who are not immunized must wear a surgical mask during patient contact.
The declaration is the first test of new regulations requiring health care workers to get immunized or wear masks. It is also a reminder to all Rhode Islanders to get their flu shots, recommended for everyone older than 6 months.

The flu vaccine this year is a good match for the circulating strains, but the flu is making its earliest arrival in a decade, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"All signs indicate that this flu season is expected to be more severe than those in recent past," Fine said.

Source

My company encourages us to get them. Usually, I'm traveling for work when they hold the clinic in the office, so I'm off the hook. This year, no such excuse. :evil:

What would your company do if you declined the flu shot? Seriously. Maybe you should hold them accountable when you get sick after they force a flu shot on you.

I've never had a flu shot and I've never had the flu. I used to get pretty bad chest colds, but since I quit smoking I only get a mild head cold once every couple of years. But the flu...never had it that I know of. I don't know why I don't get it. I do eat a ton of vegetables and have a pretty healthy diet and lifestyle, though. No smoking, no drinking. Keep active. Wash my hands a lot.

I don't take any medications, avoid them if at all possible. Won't even take a Bayer aspirin for the rare headache, anymore. Found out the headache will go away on its own without aspirin. Had a root canal, the dentist prescribed pain meds, I refused to take them after reading the warnings.

Point being, last thing I want is lining up like a sheep to have someone inject me with God knows what. Maybe if i was getting deathly ill from the flu every year I'd consider it. But, like I said, I've never had the flu, although I've been surrounded by people who do have it on many occasions.

I've never had a flu shot and I've never had the flu. I used to get pretty bad chest colds, but since I quit smoking I only get a mild head cold once every couple of years. But the flu...never had it that I know of. I don't know why I don't get it. I do eat a ton of vegetables and have a pretty healthy diet and lifestyle, though. No smoking, no drinking. Keep active. Wash my hands a lot.

I don't take any medications, avoid them if at all possible. Won't even take a Bayer aspirin for the rare headache, anymore. Found out the headache will go away on its own without aspirin. Had a root canal, the dentist prescribed pain meds, I refused to take them after reading the warnings.

Point being, last thing I want is lining up like a sheep to have someone inject me with God knows what. Maybe if i was getting deathly ill from the flu every year I'd consider it. But, like I said, I've never had the flu, although I've been surrounded by people who do have it on many occasions.
^ This! ^

I haven't had a Flu shot in maybe 25 years and I'm one of the only ones where I work that does NOT get sick in the Fall.

Have any of you ever asked the Nurse (or the flunky giving you the shot) if you could read the insert that comes with it?

WTF. Every time I get one of these shots to keep myself from getting sick, within 24 hours, I start getting sick.

Headache, the beginning of a fever, chills, sore throat.

WHEN WILL I LEARN THAT THE FLU SHOT IS JUST ANOTHER CORPORATE CONSPIRACY TO MAKE PEOPLE SICK?

Lol! You sound like my husband. He just got vaccinated for small pox and he's spent the last 3 days being Monk and swearing he has small pox. ;)

WTF. Every time I get one of these shots to keep myself from getting sick, within 24 hours, I start getting sick.

WHEN WILL I LEARN THAT THE FLU SHOT IS JUST ANOTHER CORPORATE CONSPIRACY TO MAKE PEOPLE SICK?
Talked to a friend of mine tonight, and he said that his father & law went and got his flu shot, and now he is in the hospital.. wow

I am the same way, but I did use to get it now and again when I was way younger, but the most I get now is a slight cold like you say.. I havn't ever had this shot either in my life. Hope I don't ever need it really..

My company encourages us to get them. Usually, I'm traveling for work when they hold the clinic in the office, so I'm off the hook. This year, no such excuse. :evil:

It's your health. Why do you need an excuse? Just opt out of it.

You know why your company encourages you to get them? It's cheaper then paying for sick days.

Exactly. I track the progress for my company (Health field data) and they are pushing this big time. Flu and secondarily, TDAP. If you have direct contact with patients, you are really really pushed to get it. Yes there are people who opt out but I dont think I have seen one declination from a person who deals directly with patients.

Talked to a friend of mine tonight, and he said that his father & law went and got his flu shot, and now he is in the hospital.. wow

So far I have tracked over 1000 shots and I have not heard that one. Poor unlucky person.

So far I have tracked over 1000 shots and I have not heard that one. Poor unlucky person.
Yes, not sure what the complete story is, but that is what my friend told me anyway..

Always get it being intentionally immune- compromised. I am protecting your sorry never get the shot asses as well as mine.

The pneumonia vaccine leaves me with a hard lump in my arm which doesn't go away for three days - but rather that than pneumonia.

Regards from Rosie

Always get it being intentionally immune- compromised. I am protecting your sorry never get the shot asses as well as mine.

The pneumonia vaccine leaves me with a hard lump in my arm which doesn't go away for three days - but rather that than pneumonia.

Regards from Rosie
Wow, why we got to be all that ? We are sorry, but not sorry aces....smile

Granny says get yer flu shot `cause she don't want ya'll snifflin' all over her...
:eusa_eh:
Starting in the South, flu season off to a fast and miserable start
Thursday, January 3, 2013 - This year’s start to the flu season is the earliest in a decade, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, setting off a wave of doctor visits in mostly Southern states from Louisiana to Virginia that have been hard hit. Although the early onset doesn’t necessarily portend an epidemic, medical professionals say this year’s strain is particularly severe.
“I think it is much more serious than last year,” said Dr. David Berry, a pediatrician in Blacksburg, Va. “Last year, it was incredibly minor. This is the classic intense flu — headache, body ache, fevers of 103, 104.” Many doctors reported seeing patients with the flu or flulike symptoms as early as Thanksgiving — well in advance of the typical bump in numbers of flu sufferers usually seen in December and January, CDC officials said. Dr. Berry said the earliest local report of the flu came in September and that he expected even more cases to be reported once schools opened after the holiday break.

CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden last month outlined the forecast for the 2012-13 flu season and identified the culprit as the H3N2 strain, a form that, although common, can be serious for young children and the elderly if left untreated. By mid-December, the CDC had recorded 16 pediatric deaths that were associated with influenza. Officials said they saw the same strain of flu at work during the 2003-04 flu season, the last one to start as early as this year’s. They said that just because the season came early this year, it could peak early as well. The CDC said 31 states, including Virginia, were reporting widespread flu activity around Christmas.

Laurie Folano, the deputy state epidemiologist for the Virginia Department of Health, explained that Virginia is considered to have widespread illness because more than half the state is reporting outbreaks. But, she said, “that’s not unique in the United States right now.” “Nationally, levels of flu activity have been elevated for probably three weeks,” she said. The state health department reviews laboratory data, as well as reported illnesses from emergency rooms and urgent-care clinics to determine just how much of the state is coming down with the flu, Ms. Folano said.

More flu cases typically are reported in mid-December and early January, but “definitely this year we’ve seen an earlier increase in activity,” she said. Reports of flulike symptoms started in the South and Southeast and, in addition to Virginia, include Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and Texas. “The flu is hitting the nation rough,” said Dr. L. Lee Montgomery, a family physician in Baton Rouge, La. “It’s causing a lot of misery for people and a lot of time off work.”

Read more: Starting in the South, flu season off to a fast and miserable start - Washington Times

Then, one day oyster you are good to go.

I have a compromised immune system, so I do flu and pneumonia . Day after I feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest.

Flu shot aka Government mandated poison. I don't subscribe to. It's my free will to not take the monkey snot cancer piss and poison and if any of you disagree with my rights, then fuck you.

Granny says, "Dat's right - don't go to work sick an' give it to ever'one else...
:eusa_eh:
Flu season fuels debate over paid sick time laws
Jan 20,`13 -- Sniffling, groggy and afraid she had caught the flu, Diana Zavala dragged herself in to work anyway for a day she felt she couldn't afford to miss.
A school speech therapist who works as an independent contractor, she doesn't have paid sick days. So the mother of two reported to work and hoped for the best - and was aching, shivering and coughing by the end of the day. She stayed home the next day, then loaded up on medicine and returned to work. "It's a balancing act" between physical health and financial well-being, she said. An unusually early and vigorous flu season is drawing attention to a cause that has scored victories but also hit roadblocks in recent years: mandatory paid sick leave for a third of civilian workers - more than 40 million people - who don't have it. Supporters and opponents are particularly watching New York City, where lawmakers are weighing a sick leave proposal amid a competitive mayoral race.

Pointing to a flu outbreak that the governor has called a public health emergency, dozens of doctors, nurses, lawmakers and activists - some in surgical masks - rallied Friday on the City Hall steps to call for passage of the measure, which has awaited a City Council vote for nearly three years. Two likely mayoral contenders have also pressed the point. The flu spike is making people more aware of the argument for sick pay, said Ellen Bravo, executive director of Family Values at Work, which promotes paid sick time initiatives around the country. "There's people who say, `OK, I get it - you don't want your server coughing on your food,'" she said. Advocates have cast paid sick time as both a workforce issue akin to parental leave and "living wage" laws, and a public health priority.

But to some business owners, paid sick leave is an impractical and unfair burden for small operations. Critics also say the timing is bad, given the choppy economy and the hardships inflicted by Superstorm Sandy. Michael Sinensky, an owner of seven bars and restaurants around the city, was against the sick time proposal before Sandy. And after the storm shut down four of his restaurants for days or weeks, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars that his insurers have yet to pay, "we're in survival mode." "We're at the point, right now, where we cannot afford additional social initiatives," said Sinensky, whose roughly 500 employees switch shifts if they can't work, an arrangement that some restaurateurs say benefits workers because paid sick time wouldn't include tips.

Employees without sick days are more likely to go to work with a contagious illness, send an ill child to school or day care and use hospital emergency rooms for care, according to a 2010 survey by the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center. A 2011 study in the American Journal of Public Health estimated that a lack of sick time helped spread 5 million cases of flu-like illness during the 2009 swine flu outbreak. To be sure, many employees entitled to sick time go to work ill anyway, out of dedication or at least a desire to project it. But the work-through-it ethic is shifting somewhat amid growing awareness about spreading sickness. "Right now, where companies' incentives lie is butting right up against this concern over people coming into the workplace, infecting others and bringing productivity of a whole company down," said John A. Challenger, CEO of employer consulting firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas.

MORE

That's because they're injecting you with a mild dose of the actual flu bug.

And if your immune system happens to be in a weakened state at the time, you could come down with the flu.
That's actually not correct.

The flu shot everywhere in this country injects 100% dead virus particles. 100% dead. Not weakened. There is a nose spray flu immunization that has a weakened version, but the shot is 100% dead.

Now this next part is not in response to you, Clean.

Most of you in this thread show a shining example of hick reasoning: two things happened close to one another, THEREFORE one must have caused the other. INCORRECT. This is what we call coincidence.

How do I know? Well, if I strapped you down and injected the most infectious strain of the worst flu virus directly into your vein in high doses, it would take you.... wait for it.... ONE WEEK to get flu symptoms.

If you got sick ONE DAY after getting a flu shot, it means you were already sick and going to get sick regardless of whether you get the shot. More importantly, it means YOU SHOULDNT BE GETTING THE FLU IMMUNIZATION IN MID-JANUARY. Go for October. Then perhaps you won't be so exposed during the worst part of winter and start pointing fingers at everyone else. This is a largely preventable illness. Try to avoid the hick reasoning.

Forum List

Back