Florida Major Hurricane Strikes: Still No Trend

Sunsettommy

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2018
The Labor Day Hurricane is still the most powerful hurricane to hit Florida, which is only 83 years ago.

Global Warming

October 11th, 2018 by Roy W. Spencer, Ph. D.

Excerpt:

I’ve updated a plot of Florida major hurricane strikes since 1900 with Hurricane Michael, and the result is that there is still no trend in either intensity or frequency of strikes over the last 118 years:

LINK

The Labor Day Hurricane is still the most powerful hurricane to hit Florida, which is only 83 years ago.

Global Warming

Excerpt:

I’ve updated a plot of Florida major hurricane strikes since 1900 with Hurricane Michael, and the result is that there is still no trend in either intensity or frequency of strikes over the last 118 years:

LINK

Well I agree yes and no. One problem is the study only counts hurricanes hitting Florida. The other is that it only counts wind speed as it came ashore. So that limits the conclusions you can draw from it. One thing I will note is that it shows three of the four strongest hurricanes hitting Florida in the past 30 years. But again, wind speed is not the total picture, there is size and amount of damage. Finally, whether those three larger hurricanes of late represent a trend or a fluke, again, only time will tell. The study needs more data.

Global Warming

Excerpt:

LINK

Well I agree yes and no. One problem is the study only counts hurricanes hitting Florida. The other is that it only counts wind speed as it came ashore. So that limits the conclusions you can draw from it. One thing I will note is that it shows three of the four strongest hurricanes hitting Florida in the past 30 years. But again, wind speed is not the total picture, there is size and amount of damage. Finally, whether those three larger hurricanes of late represent a trend or a fluke, again, only time will tell. The study needs more data.

You see, some people just tend to the hysterical. They see shit happen in nature and get freaked out! Some see it as an event in nature that's been going on for a billion years! Most people dont get freaked out....thankfully.

Computer models are worthless for predicting future climate events....well, according to the IPCC anyway.:113::113:

Global Warming

Excerpt:

LINK

Yes there were Hurricanes that effected Florida, which I posted on a few days ago that never came ashore, however this post was about actual landfalling Hurricanes which Michael was a part of.

Dr. Spenser stated,

"I’ve updated a plot of Florida major hurricane strikes since 1900 with Hurricane Michael, and the result is that there is still no trend in either intensity or frequency of strikes over the last 118 years:"

No trend on LANDFALLING frequency is the subject of the post.

Global Warming

Excerpt:

LINK

I have this theory: I reckon they come sometimes, and they don't. They always will come, that's a fact.

Well, climate change sure as fuck doesn't effect major landfalling hurricanes on florida as shown by landfalling major storms in 1921, 1926, 1928, 1933, 1935, 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950(King), 1960(Donna), 1965 Betsy, Eloise of 1975, Fredrick 1979.

These past 30 years have had Andrew 1992, Ivan 2004, Charley 2004, Wilma 2005, Dennis 2005, Irma 2017, Michael 2018 as major hurricanes on Florida.

There isn't any trend one can see within the past 150 years of records.

Well, climate change sure as fuck doesn't effect major landfalling hurricanes on florida as shown by landfalling major storms in 1921, 1926, 1928, 1933, 1935, 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950(King), 1960(Donna), 1965 Betsy, Eloise of 1975, Fredrick 1979.

These past 30 years have had Andrew 1992, Ivan 2004, Charley 2004, Wilma 2005, Dennis 2005, Irma 2017, Michael 2018 as major hurricanes on Florida.

There isn't any trend one can see within the past 150 years of records.

You have to don your magical climate change goggles and then you will see trends everywhere in everything.....even chaos becomes organized into a trend with a pair of those things.

Lol.....more fake graphs.

I use graphs in presentations to up to 100 people all the time. Depending how I present both axis, every person in the room can be convinced my gorgan is 4 feet long but the end of the presentation.

People who read graphs are invariably suckered by them.....very misunderstood by most climate alarmists.....because they dont DO graphs! Doy

So, Good Ol' Boy Roy doesn't seen any upward trends. What a fucking surprise.

Relationship-between-Atlantic-tropical-storm-cumulative-annual-intensity-and-Atlantic-sea-surface-temperatures.png

0603131.jpg

fig26.jpg

north_atlantic_hurricane.png

Hadley_SST_2010.png

NATS_frequency.gif

Atlantic_ace_2014.png

Relationship-between-Atlantic-tropical-storm-cumulative-annual-intensity-and-Atlantic-sea-surface-temperatures.png

0603131.jpg

fig26.jpg

Hadley_SST_2010.png

NATS_frequency.gif

Atlantic_ace_2014.png

The feeble chart filled reply doesn't help him at all since it covers only a few decades at best (mostly from 1950 or 1970) while Dr. Spencer was talking about 118 years time frame.

"I’ve updated a plot of Florida major hurricane strikes since 1900 with Hurricane Michael, and the result is that there is still no trend in either intensity or frequency of strikes over the last 118 years:"

The Title of the article was:

It was about FLORIDA, you blind boy!

You ignored that to bring the entire Atlantic ocean in like the dishonest stupid boy you are. It was all about FLORIDA only, to show that the rate and intensity since 1900 remains flat over all. You didn't address that, which is why you look stupid here.

Here are the two charts in the link you ignored:

Crick is full of Crock as usual.

Last edited:
LOL We know how you deniers work. You cherry pick one area, then try to extrapolate that to the whole. So, Florida does not show a trend. So what. The whole of the Atlantic does show a trend. Go ahead and have a meltdown over that, snowflake.

0603131.jpg

fig26.jpg

Hadley_SST_2010.png

NATS_frequency.gif

Atlantic_ace_2014.png

The feeble chart filled reply doesn't help him at all since it covers only a few decades at best (mostly from 1950 or 1970) while Dr. Spencer was talking about 118 years time frame.

You ignored that to bring the entire Atlantic ocean in like the dishonest stupid boy you are. It was all about FLORIDA only, to show that the rate and intensity since 1900 remains flat over all. You didn't address that, which is why you look stupid here.

You are the silly ass that is full of shit, as usual. Florida is not representative of the whole Atlantic. The whole of the Atlantic is doing exactly what the scientists predicted in regard to hurricanes.

0603131.jpg

fig26.jpg

Hadley_SST_2010.png

NATS_frequency.gif

Atlantic_ace_2014.png

You are the silly ass that is full of shit, as usual. Florida is not representative of the whole Atlantic. The whole of the Atlantic is doing exactly what the scientists predicted in regard to hurricanes.

Old Rocks dishonest as ever, since the TITLE of this thread is about FLORIDA and nothing more. Here it is AGAIN!

Stop making vacuous deflections, they make you look desperate.

[

In order, the charts I provided cover:
1950 - 2010, 60 years, SST v Power Dissipation
1970 - 2004, 34 years, Number of Hurricanes v Wind Speed
1880 - 2010, 130 years, Tropical Storm and Hurricane Numbers v Year
1970 - 2012, 42 years, Tropical Storm and Hurricane Numbers v Season
1850 - 2010, 160 years, Global Average Sea Surface Temperature v Year
1925 - 2005, 80 years, Frequency of N Atlantic Tropical Storms v Year
1950 - 2014, 64 years, N Atlantic ACE Index v Year

Two of these charts exceed Spencer's time frame and the seven charts combined provide 570 years worth of data and the set provides several times as many relevant and independent variables. I'm sure I could find charts that dates back to the beginning of the Holocene, but if you think that's what produces meaningful data concerning the current situation, you need to go back to school.

[

I don't know if I can continue to debate someone with a mind capable of producing a quip that...

Forum List

Back