Floods and fires, USA

When Trump zeroes out climate "research" funding how many EnviroMarxists will no longer post

A long time ago, I stated that when we had a series of weather events that each affected 100,000 or more, we would see people taking AGW seriously. I guess now we will find out if I was full of shit. For now there are 34000 residences in California evacuated because of fire, and over 84000 people. That was a couple of hours ago, and may exceed that figure by thousands by now.

In Louisiana, over 40,000 homes have been damaged by floods, and more being flooded right now. 30,000 people requiring rescue, far more than that out of their homes. And more rain on the way, both for Louisiana and Texas. How many 1000 year floods have we had this year? Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, West Virginia, and I have probably left some out.

We still have nearly half the year left. And, here in the northwest, a couple of weeks forecast to be from 80 to 100+. Should we get some wind with that, we will be is very serious trouble if a fire starts.
What? Disaster Trump can appear in Lousiana to "help" some swamp billies and righties heap praise like he's Jesus into Nazareth .

I guess Trump doesn't care about nor cal . Must be because of all the libs .
where is our President?....

On the vineyard . Why would he show up to some wildfire ? They happen all the time .

FYI: Hey old rocks judging by ultra liberal little timmys post in another thread, I don't think your propaganda is working.

I wonder what's the New AGW cult plan will be?

When Trump zeroes out climate "research" funding how many EnviroMarxists will no longer post

The only thing Trump is going to zero out it his personal net worth. He's going to lose this election by historical margins and he's utterly destroyed his business. No one any where on the political spectrum is going to put his money anywhere near Mr Trump. His properties will become ghost towns.

That Trump should be the choice of one of two political parties in this nation tells me that the Republican Party has already died. US demographic changes have eliminated the statistical significance of its membership.

I expect President Clinton to be exceedingly proactive on reducing our GHG emissions.

The only thing Trump is going to zero out it his personal net worth. He's going to lose this election by historical margins and he's utterly destroyed his business. No one any where on the political spectrum is going to put his money anywhere near Mr Trump. His properties will become ghost towns.

That Trump should be the choice of one of two political parties in this nation tells me that the Republican Party has already died. US demographic changes have eliminated the statistical significance of its membership.

I expect President Clinton to be exceedingly proactive on reducing our GHG emissions.

The fact that our choices are trump and hillary clinton speaks to the depths to which the US political institutions have fallen.

The billion-dollar Louisiana flood is just the latest such event.

A massive flood swamped parts of southern and eastern Louisiana in August 2016, the latest in a string of more than a dozen flood events that have affected parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas and Missouri since March 2015.

The most recent event from a swath of up to 31 inches of rain in just two days' time flooded tens of thousands of homes, led to at least 20,000 rescues and also triggered significant flooding in parts of southeast Missouri and southern Illinois.

(RECAPS: Record Rain, Flooding in Louisiana | Likely a Billion-Dollar Disaster)

12month-rain-ranks-sercc-14aug16.jpg

Rankings of wettest 12-month periods on record ending August 14, 2016 in the southern U.S. A ranking of "2" means it was the second wettest August 15 - August 14 period on record. (Southeast Regional Climate Center)

Over a 12-month period ending Aug. 14, 2016, Baton Rouge, Louisiana (98.83 inches), and Bergstrom Airport near Austin, Texas (67.86 inches) had their wettest Aug. 15-Aug. 14 12-month period on record, according to the Southeast Regional Climate Center.

The six-month period from March-August 2015 was record wet in parts of Oklahoma.

Only a flash drought kicking in late in the summer in parts of Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas kept it from ranking similar wet in those locations during that same time.

An analysis by FEMA and NOAA/NCEI from 1996-2013 foundparts of Texas northeastward through Arkansas and Missouri average one to five flood events yearly.

In just under 18 months, however, the number, extremity and widespread nature of flood events has been incredible in this region.

Here are some of the most notable flood events that have swamped this area since March 2015. Some are more localized, some more widespread.

18 Major Flood Events Have Hit Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas Since March 2015

Still a bit over five months left in this year.

This is the 'fuse' that ignites California's explosive fires

(c) 2016, The Washington Post.

Californians had prayed for an El Niño weather pattern to deliver snow and rain to a state beset by historic drought and tough water restrictions. And last winter, down it came.

It snowed in the high Sierra Nevada Mountains and poured in the north near San Francisco, filling reservoirs that were critically low. It sprinkled in the arid south near Los Angeles, allowing wild grasses to finally sprout. The precipitation was a blessing -- and a curse.

By now, the tall grass has dried and hardened into kindling for wildfire. It contains virtually no water and has a "100 percent ignition rate for any spark," said Janet Upton, a deputy director at the state Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, known as Cal Fire. "We have this fuse to a bomb."

And the fuse was lit Tuesday in the windy Cajon Pass of San Bernardino County, just east of Los Angeles. The Blue Cut fire that started along a ridge, initially burning only a few acres, roared to more than 30,000 acres by the next day, exhibiting aggressive behavior that one fire official said was more extreme than anything he'd seen in 40 years of firefighting. Some 82,000 residents were ordered to evacuate.

The worry in California is that the Blue Cut is hardly an isolated incident. Invasive species of perennial wild grasses carpet the entire state. The winter wet hit them at the perfect time, just as they were germinating.

But abnormally high summer temperatures and a parched sky have sucked away what little water they still held several months later, state environmental scientists say. In communities as well as up into the hills, the terrain is marked by these grasses, plus shrubs that long ago died of thirst and still-standing trees that died both from lack of water and beetle infestation.

"The drought conditions have caused homeowners to water ration and eliminate the defensible space around their homes," noted Brendan Ripley, a fire behavior analyst.

It's all ready to blow.

This is the 'fuse' that ignites California's explosive fires

And now Oregon and Washington are drying out, also. Increased heat, shorter winters, later snow, earlier melt. Even with super tankers drop planes, if the fires get a wind behind them, they are unstoppable.

Rocks...fire is so common there that it is part of the very ecology....you want to blame CO2 for the very ecology of the region now?....how much more stupid can you get...

And by the way...there is no drought in that region...the native flora and fauna are doing just fine...when they begin to die off, first consider overuse of the water available in the DESERT...and then start thinking about drought. Have a look at the graph below...it appears that the sierra nevada region has mostly received between 70 and 90% of its normal rainfall since 2014.... Hardly the bleak 100+ year droughts the region is historically prone to...but you alarmist will say anything if you think it helps promote your religion.

24mPNormUS.png

20160816_usdm_home.png

United States Drought Monitor > Home

Seems SSDD is still talking out of his asshole. A very major drought for most of California.

So it would appear that the drought monitor thinks that 70 to 90% of the normal rainfall constitutes major drought. I can't help but note that your graph shows drought in areas of california that have received as much as 110% of the normal rainfall. clearly you are full of crap.

WOW..

Another thread of bull shit hype...

My grandfather is calling this natural variation as it has all happened before in his 97 years of life..

He makes a very valid point, alarmist attack using the short lengths of peoples lives and the fact they have not experienced these types of events before. Those who are low information voters don't follow through and look into the claims, they just believe the government.. Something history proves is a very bad decision to do.

Don't be a liberal lemming....

Last edited:
A long time ago, I stated that when we had a series of weather events that each affected 100,000 or more, we would see people taking AGW seriously.

Shall we conveniently overlook that we haven't had a hurricane make landfall in well over a decade now, despite claims they would increase dramatically due to "AGW"?

Doesn't fit your narrative, so I guess not.

I guess now we will find out if I was full of shit.

Guess we have.

Tell you what, if you're so damn sure the weather is going to kill you, move away from the shore. Move away from EQ zones and keep away from brush exposures. But please, leave the rest of us alone. Mkay?

Most of the damage and destruction has nothing to do with climate change and everything to do with overdevelopment on the coasts and in flood prone areas. Add the laxity of regulations with the explosion of second and rental hom s and condos and you have the recipe for tragedies. Flavor with the over the top hyperbole of the weather channel, and instantaneous news gratification pipeline and you have a self sustaining false narrative.

To what damage and destruction do you refer?

According to warmer wackaloons...any and all...from a flood in the south that displaces thousands to a breeze strong enough to blow Mrs. Swensen's gollywhopper bloomers off the clothes line and into the mud...and everything in between...you wackos blame any and everything is the result of global warming....even if it has happened countless times in history before...although I am not sure how many times Mrs. Swensen's enormous bloomers have been blown into the mud....such an occurrence may actually be "unprecedented" in her case.

Most of the damage and destruction has nothing to do with climate change and everything to do with overdevelopment on the coasts and in flood prone areas. Add the laxity of regulations with the explosion of second and rental hom s and condos and you have the recipe for tragedies. Flavor with the over the top hyperbole of the weather channel, and instantaneous news gratification pipeline and you have a self sustaining false narrative.

I asked earlier to what damage and destruction you were referring but you have not answered. You seem to be ignoring data that shows the incidence of severe weather and its severity have both increased globally. That more people live on the coasts is the unavoidable result of overpopulation. If you have some solution for that, I guess we can abandon the coastlines (you know, New York, Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami, London, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Barcelona, Naples, Monaco, Venice, Istanbul, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Durban, Cape Town, Mumbai, Colombo, Singapore, Macau, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Makasser, Manila, Taipei, Shanghai, Osaka, Tokyo, Honolulu, Lima, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janero, Caracas and New Orleans. They're all just overdeveloped second homes and rental condos. Right?

f_fh_orchard_owner_fire_150817.nbcnews-ux-1240-700.jpg

Chelan Resident Blames 'Freaky' Climate for Devastating Wildfires 1:09

More than 100 wildfires are burning across the West — destroying dozens of homes, forcing hundreds of people to flee and stretching firefighting budgets to the breaking point.

In Washington state, a fire was moving so quickly that authorities weren't sure how many homes were lost, but they feared it was roughly 75.

Firefighters face a triple threat of extreme heat, severe drought conditions and gusty winds. And they're doing it with dwindling resources: The U.S. Forest Service is spending $100 million a week on the fires, and next week it will burn through its annual budget.

On Sunday, fires forced evacuations in Oregon and California, left thousands without power in Washington and enveloped the San Francisco Bay Area in a thick gray haze.

In central Oregon, after the Warm Springs Fire swelled to 50 square miles, fire officials briefly closed the main highway between Mount Hood and Portland, and a popular resort, Kah-Nee-Tah, evacuated 500 employees and guests, NBC station KGW of Portland reported. Some residents of Warm Springs also fled.

Western Wildfires: Evacuations, Power Outages and Heavy Smoke

Looks like a repeat of last year. And, once again, the Forest Service will burn through it's budget fighting the fires, not even trying to save the forest, but trying to save towns, cities, and the farms and ranches. And then assholes will scream at them that they are not doing any thinning and only a few proscribed fires.

A long time ago, I stated that when we had a series of weather events that each affected 100,000 or more, we would see people taking AGW seriously. I guess now we will find out if I was full of shit. For now there are 34000 residences in California evacuated because of fire, and over 84000 people. That was a couple of hours ago, and may exceed that figure by thousands by now.

In Louisiana, over 40,000 homes have been damaged by floods, and more being flooded right now. 30,000 people requiring rescue, far more than that out of their homes. And more rain on the way, both for Louisiana and Texas. How many 1000 year floods have we had this year? Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, West Virginia, and I have probably left some out.

We still have nearly half the year left. And, here in the northwest, a couple of weeks forecast to be from 80 to 100+. Should we get some wind with that, we will be is very serious trouble if a fire starts.
They just arrested an arsonist....catastrophe averted again.......

Now you are one stupid fucking ass. Fires have many causes. One of the big fires this year was caused by a downed powerline. Major wildfires have been caused by auto accidents, by lightning, by a cable rubbing on a stump. The point is, the major factor in the big fires of the last few years has been the droughts and high temperatures accompanied by high winds in the Western States.

dy West, crews target flames in several states

Crews scramble to protect Hearst Castle from fire, smoke
BBvY0fh.img
© Colin Mulvany/The Spokesman-Review via AP In this Sunday, Aug. 21, 2016 photo, a fast-moving wildfire approaches homes on the north side of Beacon Hill in Spokane, Wash. A series of fires started Sunday afternoon amid high winds and…YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. (AP) — Growing wildfires stoked by windy, dry conditions have destroyed buildings and forced evacuations in California, Washington, Montana and elsewhere.

Here's a look at the major wildfires in the West:

___
In dry, windy West, crews target flames in several states

Major fires threatening Spokane.

Forum List

Back