CDZ Flood Plains, please don't rebuild again, its time to move out.

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
The following is timely in my neck of the woods:

Events this week have brought up painful memories for many of 2008, 1993 and for some 1973. I propose we prevent these tragedies from ever repeating themselves and improve American competitiveness in the process when you consider the 1993 flood had a direct cost to America of 100,000 homes destroyed and 15 billion dollars. Failure to change our course of action will doom the victims of the 2015 flood to a repeat of this tragedy. Even in our relatively modest 2015 flood in Missouri the lives of 14 people have been lost. That is too many sons without fathers or mothers with funerals to attend.

We must acknowledge a few things. First we know with 100% accuracy what land flooded in 1973, 1993 and 2015. We also know a levee raises the level of a flooding river like placing your foot in the bathtub. A cycle is created where those downstream are forced to build higher levees and roadways in an endless cycle to the environments detriment. Finally a highly channelized river is not one which supports its wildlife potential. The water flows too fast and there are few breeding grounds.

Developed land which floods sucks money from the economy in through taxes to maintain levees, forcing charities to aid displaced citizens when they already have enough work to do and costing productivity and raising insurance rates.

My proposal is we reduce the population of areas through a series of land buys and trades. This land would not become totally barren either. Flood plains are some of the best farmland we have available. As a side benefit there will be more demand for properties which are out of the land which plainly floods. These efficient properties which cost our cities and states less money to maintain will go up in value. Do not fear, I am not talking about depopulating Kansas City or St Louis this is going to be a huge and slow moving program and

Yes some will not want to leave their homes. This is America, we would not force them to either. We just would not extend the offer of levee maintenance, free rescue or subsidized insurance to them. Sentiment is not an excuse to put your family in a position to cross a swollen river or creek to get home. Sentiment is not an excuse to have make some fireman risk not going home to his family to pull you off your roof. Modern cities do not rely on being near a creek to power a sawmill. We have citizens in need of welfare. We should not create the need for welfare.

Join me in saving lives, saving the environment and saving America money
Mississippi_near_St-Louis_normally_and_in_flood_93.jpg

Dredge your rivers. Your floods are because enviro whackos will not allow you to dredge them. Just like Britain.

Better yet. Get your Duff's ditch on like up here in Winnipeg. But you cave to your enviro whackos every time. Instead of doing the right thing.

Look at what you've already posted. Move to higher ground. Leave the river alone.

Fuck that noise. Dredge the river.

Having a vivid memory of the 1993 Midwest Flood, I seem to recall that event being described at the time as a "100 year" flood. My, how time flies. LOL Seriously though, today, I have to ask, was it a really "100 year" flood?

I have only read the thread title. I could not agree more with it. I don't know why folks would knowingly opt to live/build/put down roots, "whatever," in a flood plain any more than I understand why they'd do so in a major earthquake zone or in the shadow of an active volcano.

Naples, Italy (population ~1 million; big ass active volcano looming 9 km away in the background and a sea in the near ground)

Skyline-of-Naples-with-mount-Vesuvius-Campania-Italy.jpg

Naples, FL (population ~25K; no volcano and there is an ocean; no brainer if you ask me LOL)

Naples-Florida-4.jpg

Naples, ME (population ~3K; no volcano; ~260 above sea level; no volcano; few hurricanes, and there are multiple nice lakes; lots of open space where one can build and do what one wants; excellent alternative to either of the other two LOL)

IMG_4505%20-%20Version%202-L.jpg

The problem is that people get annoyed when problems happen, but then quickly forget and make the same mistakes over and over and over again.

The problem is that people get annoyed when problems happen, but then quickly forget and make the same mistakes over and over and over again.

Like obeying the EU that knows nothing about these rivers and wont dredge?

The EU knows what? the EU isn't a person, it's not an object even.

Maybe they don't want the policy of dredging. Maybe the National govts within the EU or elsewhere could deal with their own problems instead of relying on the EU.

In my neck of the woods the problem is overflowing creeks and streams.

We had really bad flooding back in `97.

Since then the creeks and streams were dredged...

... and wetland reservoirs were created upstream...

... and voila' wildlife started returning...

... and the flooding hasn't been as bad since.

It works, and keeps the conservation protectionists happy and quiet.

Have yer 'powers that be' contact...

... Louisville, Ky. Metro Sewer District to find out how it's done.

You'll be glad ya did.

I'm just waiting to find out if, after the floods have subsided, people learned their lesson from 1993 and at least bought flood insurance. The next thing I'm waiting to discover is whether the federal flood insurance program will run out of money.

See also:

On the upside, I haven't heard reports of this befalling (perhaps a little pun intended) the folks in the Midwest.

enhanced-buzz-26646-1392614841-22.jpg

Last edited:
Dredge your rivers. Your floods are because enviro whackos will not allow you to dredge them. Just like Britain.

Better yet. Get your Duff's ditch on like up here in Winnipeg. But you cave to your enviro whackos every time. Instead of doing the right thing.
I would argue, why should be bother wasting our money dredging when we could be not spending it or building submarines to fight China, subsidizing oil companies, or paying down the debt. unlink England or Holland, there is no shortage of high and dry land in Missouri.

Forum List

Back