Flash Frozen Fish..

None of the reports mention sightings of dead fish prior to the quick freeze.. Go look at the other Google pix of Lovund Norway.. It's limited to a small part of the harbor and consistent with a school being chased by a predator towards shore.[/QUOTE]

i did it is interesting

it is possible the fish got chased up into swallow water

then a receding tide trapped them in water a couple of inches deep

most of the fish died of lack of oxygen

in the picture

819904ba-7b70-412e-ae88-b302122b827e_one.jpg

1-many of the fish are not in the water(ice)

not getting oxygen

2-most of the frozen fish are belly up (live fish do not hang out upside down)

meaning they had been dead before the ice set in

3- the temp was 18 degrees

water does not flash freeze in that temp

the photo off handily reminded me of a intentional lake poisoning

the state did that i witnessed as a kid

the fish all piled into shore like that in the picture

I SWEAR this has nothing to do with the Global Warming/Climate Change argument.
It's here because I want to show my grandchildren what Winter USED to be like in the early 21st Century...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Take the small Norwegian island of Lovund, for instance, where thousands of fish were essentially flash-frozen in a bay as the air temperature dipped to -7.8 degrees Celsius (18 degrees Fahrenheit), according to a report from the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK).

The website posted a photo taken by photographer Ingolf Kristiansen of a school of saithe, a type of codfish, frozen in place close to the shore.

Since only the top layer of lakes, ponds, and other large bodies of water typically freeze, fish and other sea creatures are usually able to survive winters by swimming beneath the icy surface. (Some polar fish even produce antifreeze molecules to reduce the freezing point of their bodily fluids).

Read more: Thousands Of Fish Freeze in Norway Bay - Business Insider

Talk about your inability of species to adapt to rapid Climate Change !!!
Not funny --- these fish died to demonstrate the principle...

HEY !!! Could we get a WEATHER FORUM !!! That would be cool. Because some of this weather stuff is just too interesting..

You didn't actually read this did you?

They were not ""flash frozen"

They were trapped in shallow water and it froze.

It's here because I want to show my grandchildren what Winter USED to be like in the early 21st Century...

Take the small Norwegian island of Lovund, for instance, where thousands of fish were essentially flash-frozen in a bay as the air temperature dipped to -7.8 degrees Celsius (18 degrees Fahrenheit), according to a report from the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK).

The website posted a photo taken by photographer Ingolf Kristiansen of a school of saithe, a type of codfish, frozen in place close to the shore.

Since only the top layer of lakes, ponds, and other large bodies of water typically freeze, fish and other sea creatures are usually able to survive winters by swimming beneath the icy surface. (Some polar fish even produce antifreeze molecules to reduce the freezing point of
Code:
their bodily fluids).

Read more: Thousands Of Fish Freeze in Norway Bay - Business Insider

HEY !!! Could we get a WEATHER FORUM !!! That would be cool. Because some of this weather stuff is just too interesting..

Of course I read it. And I corroborated it with several other NORWEGIAN sources that all headlined it Flash Frozen or ""happened very quickly""

Google Translate

Of course they are schooling fish in shallow water.. With extremely high wind and 18degF, this can happen quickly at the shoreline. The pattern of the fish seems to be consistent with a school in motion.. I GUESS --- we'll just have to wait for the CSI Norway series to make it to american TV.. We dont have the herring experts here to break the case.....

Of course I read it. And I corroborated it with several other NORWEGIAN sources that all headlined it Flash Frozen or ""happened very quickly""

Google Translate

Of course they are schooling fish in shallow water.. With extremely high wind and 18degF, this can happen quickly at the shoreline. The pattern of the fish seems to be consistent with a school in motion.. I GUESS --- we'll just have to wait for the CSI Norway series to make it to american TV.. We dont have the herring experts here to break the case.....

how fast the water freezes depends on a couple of things

air temp

the temp and volume of water

and lesser in this instance the current

lake Superior is located in extremely cold country

much colder then 18 degrees in the winter

that lake usually freezes over once in 20 years

however it is an interesting story

Forum List

Back