FL town bans puppy mill stores

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Baby steps but it shows that people are aware that puppy mills are cruel. And it shows that people know that buying from a pet store and often, a private breeder, supports puppy factories.

WPEC-TV CBS12 News :: News - Top Stories - Wellington bans puppy mill sales

Wellington bans puppy mill sales
Reported by Peter Schaller / CBS 12 News

WELLINGTON, Fla -- From here on out, puppy stores and puppy mills are banned in Wellington.

Many residents, even the mayor, shared emotional stories about how this issue has affected their families.

Then, without much hesitation, the village council voted to approve this ban.

It was nothing but applause as Wellington becomes one of just a few South Florida communities to ban puppy stores and puppy mills within their village.

The ordinance gained high profile support from part-time Wellington resident Georgina Bloomberg, the daughter of former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg.

She said, "There is no such thing as a pleasant or humane puppy mill, there are factories where dogs are mistreated."

...What good is this ban in Wellington if someone can cross into Royal Palm Beach and still buy a puppy at store?

The mayor says he wants that to end.

The Tri-County Humane Society in Boca Raton calls this a positive step in the right direction. They hope it means more adoptions, maybe it will mean permanent families for more rescue dogs.

The message from the Village of Wellington is clear, and animal rescues say this to anyone still selling puppies from a puppy mill.

"Today is a new day, we're going to stop them and make sure that every animal is safe," said Amanda Chussler with the Tri-County Humane Society.

CBS 12 did reach out to a number of puppy stores still open in Palm Beach County but none returned our calls for comment.

In Wellington the mayor says they don't even have any puppy stores or puppy mills that they know of, and that this decision will keep it that way.

Great news. And the last thing we need is a National Law regarding this, BTW. I know you progressive statists just love to give all the power to Central Authority.

Just as long as we don't start banning all breeders of purebred dogs. I have three rescued dogs. And up until recently I had two Dobermans I purchased as six-week old puppies. One of them died of heart disease on January 4 at the age of 10 years and 10 weeks old.

Absolutely tore my heart out. All three of the rescued dogs could have died and it wouldn't have hurt as half as bad as this one, precious chosen dog dying. The attributes of her breed and raising her from such a young age are what endeared her to me so. Not to mention her totally unique and beautiful soul that shown so bright. She was the light of my life.

So, while I am a big advocate for animals, I support responsible breeding and my right to purchase purebred puppies of breeds whose temperaments and characteristics appeal to me.

The smelly sharpei and two poop and pee in the house minpins I rescued...well, they're my charitable work and they will always have a home with me, affection, shelter and plenty to eat. And I'll shed a tear when they go, but I don't expect I'll be in anguish like I am over the passing of my sweet Greta.

Last edited:
That said, let me add that anyone who treats dogs in a cruel manner, such as puppy mills, should be taken out and publicly disemboweled.

Forum List

Back