Five Miamians convicted of thought crimes

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Ravi, May 13, 2009.

1. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,887
    Five members of Liberty City Six guilty in terror plot - South Florida - MiamiHerald.com

Anyone that thinks terrorists have uniforms either needs professional help or is a con man trying to get money.

2. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Thought crimes?

They wanted to blow up US landmarks.

3. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    When Haitians go off the deep end, they really go off it big time!

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    For all the bitchers and whiners that the 9/11 hijackers could have been stopped, this would be the perfect example of the reaction from certain elements on the left had they been arrested before they murdered 3000 people.

Lose-lose deal, eh Ravi?:rolleyes:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    This really seems a lot like entrapment to me, and not a lot like a real conspiracy to commit crimes.

6. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    aint that the truth

hasn't AQ declared war on the US and is in active war with the US? so pledging an oath to an enemy that has sworn to destroy, has destroyed landmarks in the past and then taking photos (recon) is somehow thought crimes???

i guess ravi thinks conviction of conspiracy is a conviction to a thought crime too...

7. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Latinum, Plantinum,Silver,Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,704
    i have thought crimes all day long....well to some they may be.....like every time a see a real hot looking girl.....what goes through the mind at the time....:eusa_drool:

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,887
    Yeah...this case is responsible for my second thoughts on hate crime legislation.

9. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,128
    it seems like entrapment to me as well, Catz....but I am certain we don't have the entire story in this short article....

10. Tech_Esq

Tech_Esq Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    I'm a bit divided, I guess I would have to hear all of the facts of the case. What is presented in the press appears to be presented in the light most favorable to the defense. The crime of conspiracy requires collusion....check. That the collusion was to carry out a felonious act.....check and that the group took some material act to carry out the conspiracy.....in this case that is what is at issue.

The defense will argue that they were improperly induced to carry out the material act, video taping targets etc, by the CI that was working for the FBI.

The prosecution would argue that the defendants already had the plan, they only wanted for money to carry their plans into effect. The FBI merely removed that obstacle from their plans and allowed them to move forward with their plans.

The argument for the prosecution's case is that if the group had actually found an al Qaeda guy instead of the FBI, then they would have committed whatever acts the al Qaeda guy asked them to. They were just there first.

The defense's argument has to be that these guys were just dupes. They had no REAL plan. They talked a lot of shit and they were disaffected, but relatively harmless and definitely broke. They were of no danger to anyone until the FBI came along and threw gas on the smoldering embers. Since they were poor, they were ready to do anything for the money. The FBI really directed all of the acts they took to carry out the so-called conspiracy.

I think the "were all just dupes" argument is just too damned convenient. If it sounds too convenient, it probably is. Until proven otherwise by more evidence, I'm thinking this is a good conviction.

Last edited: May 13, 2009