Fiscal Responsibility? $3 MILLION to defend DOMA

Where is the "fiscal responsibility" here?

WASHINGTON -- House Republican leaders have signed on to spend up to $3 million to keep defending the Defense of Marriage Act in court, according to a copy of their newly revised legal contract obtained by The Huffington Post.[...]

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and other GOP leaders hired attorneys at the law firm Bancroft LLC to represent the House in court cases involving the federal ban on gay marriage -- all with taxpayer dollars.[...]

The revised contract comes on the heels of House Republican leaders inserting language into the rules package for the 113th Congress that authorizes the House legal team to keep paying outside counsel to defend DOMA. The rules package also states that the House legal team continues to "speak for" all House members in its defense of DOMA -- language that infuriated Democrats opposed to the matter. [...]

House Democratic leaders, meanwhile, sent a letter to Boehner later Tuesday voicing their opposition to sinking more money into DOMA's defense -- particularly given Republicans' calls for fiscal responsibility.

"We wish to strongly reaffirm our objections to the repeated actions by the Republican leadership to secretly and dramatically increase the contract between the House and outside counsel in arguing to uphold the discriminatory Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) in more than a dozen cases," reads the letter from House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.).

"It is the height of hypocrisy for House Republicans to waste public funds in one breath then claim the mantle of fiscal responsibility in the next," the letter continues. "With Republicans willing to take our economy and our country to the brink of default in the name of deficit reduction, there is simply no excuse for any Member of Congress to commit taxpayer dollars to an unnecessary -- and futile -- legal battle."​

DOMA: House Republicans Poised To Spend $3 Million On Legal Defense
They have spent over $50 million of taxpayer money trying to repeal Obamacare.

What about it?

LOL

More proof that the ignorance is bliss.

sheeple_zpsead45142.jpg

What about "the entire African-American population", Sniperfire?

The black family unit has collapsed, thanks largely to the dependency mindset sold by the Left. In fact, prior to the 'Great Society' legislation family and birth statistics largely mirrored those of other demographics.

Today?

Black children suffer from the 72.5 percent out-of-wedlock birth rate among their parents.

And as we all know, there is no greater indicator of poverty than single parent households.

Hope that helps. Informing Libtards is what we do here!

Wrong.
Obama voted against a version of the bill that included increased funding for the Iraq War. He voted FOR the version of the bill (waiving the Stafford Act) that did not include the additional funding for the Iraq War.

The old tried and true trick of linking garbage with good and then claiming your opponent opposed the good, is so old and hackneyed. Are there people still using it??? Only idiots.

Fox should be tax exempt. It's a religion.

Do cults count?

Cults do get tax exemption as they claim being a religion. But let's see if Fox qualifies as a cult.

How Cults Operate
Cults very seldom admit to the extortion, dissociation and manipulation brought to bear on their members.

When recruiting, cults do not make a full disclosure about what they are and how they operate.

When openly lobbying government, spiritual or religious cults will talk about their belief systems, which range from the apparently normal to the bizarre;...

They will move the debate onto grounds of belief rather than the theory and practices they use which cause so much harm, hoping to distract attention from the real issue and presenting any critics as being anti-religious or bigoted.

Cults use freedom of speech and freedom of conscience legislation to give themselves an air of honesty and respectability.

Higher ranking members can wear impressive suits and wine and dine officials, paid for by extortion from the lower ranks.

How can cults afford their often impressively grand headquarters, whether in the heart of London or other large cities in the United Kingdom and abroad, or in large country estates?

Cults sometimes maintain front groups which may reveal nothing of the cults with which they maintain ties. Some cults publish newspapers which do not disclose their true owners, because the company possesses a different name, and thereby pursues its agenda on unsuspecting readers undetected.

Cults will in some way isolate their members to prevent them from a balanced world view.

On the whole, cults will attempt to diminish their members' ability to think for themselves by controlling information, being the only voice which knows what is right, what is best, and, in fact, where possible, the only voice at all.

Cults will make demands on their members to fit the cult's requirements, and in a black-and-white worldview, anything seen not to fit these requirements is seen as wrong, a failure to be shunned or shamed, or the enemy to be excluded or hounded.

The worldview given by the cult is the only truth, and nothing else can be accepted.

Well, I would say that is a definite, YES.

Do cults count?

Cults do get tax exemption as they claim being a religion. But let's see if Fox qualifies as a cult.

How Cults Operate
Cults very seldom admit to the extortion, dissociation and manipulation brought to bear on their members.

When recruiting, cults do not make a full disclosure about what they are and how they operate.

When openly lobbying government, spiritual or religious cults will talk about their belief systems, which range from the apparently normal to the bizarre;...

They will move the debate onto grounds of belief rather than the theory and practices they use which cause so much harm, hoping to distract attention from the real issue and presenting any critics as being anti-religious or bigoted.

Cults use freedom of speech and freedom of conscience legislation to give themselves an air of honesty and respectability.

Higher ranking members can wear impressive suits and wine and dine officials, paid for by extortion from the lower ranks.

How can cults afford their often impressively grand headquarters, whether in the heart of London or other large cities in the United Kingdom and abroad, or in large country estates?

Cults sometimes maintain front groups which may reveal nothing of the cults with which they maintain ties. Some cults publish newspapers which do not disclose their true owners, because the company possesses a different name, and thereby pursues its agenda on unsuspecting readers undetected.

Cults will in some way isolate their members to prevent them from a balanced world view.

On the whole, cults will attempt to diminish their members' ability to think for themselves by controlling information, being the only voice which knows what is right, what is best, and, in fact, where possible, the only voice at all.

Cults will make demands on their members to fit the cult's requirements, and in a black-and-white worldview, anything seen not to fit these requirements is seen as wrong, a failure to be shunned or shamed, or the enemy to be excluded or hounded.

The worldview given by the cult is the only truth, and nothing else can be accepted.

We'll include msnbc, cnn, abc, cbs, nbc also. Definite yes.

Do cults count?

How Cults Operate

I'd have to agree 100%

But let's see if Fox qualifies as a cult.

How Cults Operate

That is hardly a valid set of criteria to define a cult, and an anti "cult" website is hardly a valid source to find such definition in the first place. A "cult" is nothing more than a religious organization that is small, and often shunned by larger society.

How Cults Operate

That is hardly a valid set of criteria to define a cult, and an anti "cult" website is hardly a valid source to find such definition in the first place. A "cult" is nothing more than a religious organization that is small, and often shunned by larger society.

^^^^^^^^^ cult member in denial ^^^^^^^^^^

How Cults Operate

^^^^^^^^^ cult member in denial ^^^^^^^^^^

o_0 I hope you're being facetious.

Wrong.
Obama voted against a version of the bill that included increased funding for the Iraq War. He voted FOR the version of the bill (waiving the Stafford Act) that did not include the additional funding for the Iraq War.

The old tried and true trick of linking garbage with good and then claiming your opponent opposed the good, is so old and hackneyed. Are there people still using it??? Only idiots.

Sorry but those aren't the rules. We're supposed to excoriate the Rs for not voting for sandy relief and a pork laden bill but we're to forgive Os vote against katrina relief just because he didnt want to fund the troops? Hate to break it to you but not everyone has made the pilgrimage to 0's cum dumpster.

Vulgarities aside. I blasted the R's for dragging their feet on the $9.7 billion that included NOTHING but funding for FEMA to pay out claims to people who have been paying their FEMA flood insurance premiums. I blasted Dems for linking non-related spending to the $50 billion bill. And I blast R's for including non-related spending in previous disater relief bills.

So, don't try to excuse your idiocy by claiming someone else was idiotic too.

Didn't work with yer mama when she caught you smoking in fifth grade and it doesn't work now. Grow up.

Cast your aspersions elsewhere. I was only responding to your idiot insult, otherwise I wouldn't have descended down a few levels. My point on each bill was to look at the hypocritical nature and the amount that we are being fleeced by both parties.

Congresspersons and their staffs efforts in fighting against DOMA etc is being done free of charge?? No link needed to know that.... Repeal of DADT was free?? There was no expense in the legalities of that, distribution literature, legal advice?? PUH-LEASE

We all know that the legal process ain't free no matter the side you are on

you should have no trouble coming up with a link with an amount spent by the govt fighting doma, then, right?

i'll wait

Yeah... when the media does not splattercast that, it is not easy to find exact numbers.... but to think there is not funding and spending on both sides is ludicrous... defense in the other direction does not come from fairy dust (NPI)

The programs are there, the efforts are there.. even if the full cost is not being put out there for political points..
House Democrats Seek Federal Health Benefits for Same-Sex Partners - California Healthline

Agenda pushing costs money on both sides..

This cost how much? Did they hire an outside firm to the tune of $3 million and counting? No, it says right in the article that 130 legislators filed the brief, not an outside PRIVATE firm. Your "same/same" is a fail.

Is it the Dems that advertise as the party of fiscal responsibility?

Sorry but those aren't the rules. We're supposed to excoriate the Rs for not voting for sandy relief and a pork laden bill but we're to forgive Os vote against katrina relief just because he didnt want to fund the troops? Hate to break it to you but not everyone has made the pilgrimage to 0's cum dumpster.

Vulgarities aside. I blasted the R's for dragging their feet on the $9.7 billion that included NOTHING but funding for FEMA to pay out claims to people who have been paying their FEMA flood insurance premiums. I blasted Dems for linking non-related spending to the $50 billion bill. And I blast R's for including non-related spending in previous disater relief bills.

So, don't try to excuse your idiocy by claiming someone else was idiotic too.

Didn't work with yer mama when she caught you smoking in fifth grade and it doesn't work now. Grow up.

Cast your aspersions elsewhere. I was only responding to your idiot insult, otherwise I wouldn't have descended down a few levels. My point on each bill was to look at the hypocritical nature and the amount that we are being fleeced by both parties.

So you are saying that I insulted YOU when I said only idiots link good with garbage and then try to embarass their opponents for voting against the "good"? If you do that, my aspersions are cast correctly.

The #1 coorelating indicator of poverty in America is single parent households.

What could be more fiscally responsible than defending marriage?

That was a rhetorical question. We all know the answer.

LOL

You do realize that your post is illogical don't you? Keeping people from getting married and extending protections to their families and children is keeping children in "single parent" households.

Facts do not support you.

The weaker the proponents of traditional marriage in a demographic, the more single parent gubmint dependency.

I am always here to help with the facts!

LOL

So blacks aren't supportive of "traditional marriage". You think there is a lot of support in the black community for gay marriage?

Since you brought it up, let's look at Demographics. The states with the highest divorce rates also have anti gay marriage amendments.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/slideshow/775688/12555/?icid=hp_divorce_gallery

The #1 coorelating indicator of poverty in America is single parent households.

What could be more fiscally responsible than defending marriage?

That was a rhetorical question. We all know the answer.

LOL

You do realize that your post is illogical don't you? Keeping people from getting married and extending protections to their families and children is keeping children in "single parent" households.

Facts do not support you.

The weaker the proponents of traditional marriage in a demographic, the more single parent gubmint dependency.

I am always here to help with the facts!

LOL

LOL

you haven't supplied any facts... or any proof...

LOL

:cuckoo:

there wasnt enough pork in the sandy "relief" bill. 5 trillion for future emergency relief was desperately needed.......lol

Forum List

Back