"Fiscal Cliff" Kabuki Dance

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
We've seen it all before: An artificial "crisis" designed to anesthetize the public from yet another round of political expediency by kicking the can further down the road. There will be a great deal of smoke (and mirrors), but very little fire when it comes to reforming our unsustainable deficit situation.

Alas, any increases in taxes and/or tweaks in future entitlements are mere drops in the bucket compared with our looming financial liabilities. There are only two ways out of this mess, and we will need both of them: Economic growth (i.e., private sector jobs) and inflation. In order to avoid impending disaster we must agree on two principles:

1. The primary objective of tax policy should be to maximize long term net revenue. This means we must encourage new job creation in order to shift as many people as possible from being tax consumers to tax payers.

2. We cannot afford to increase any per capita entitlement spending until we are able to balance the federal budget. Economic growth and inflation will make this happen sooner rather than later, but we need to put people on notice that there will be no entitlement increases for a substantial period and that they should plan accordingly.

No hidden agenda here; just stark reality as I see it. Do you agree or disagree? If you disagree, what is your plan?

We've seen it all before: An artificial "crisis" designed to anesthetize the public from yet another round of political expediency by kicking the can further down the road. There will be a great deal of smoke (and mirrors), but very little fire when it comes to reforming our unsustainable deficit situation.

Alas, any increases in taxes and/or tweaks in future entitlements are mere drops in the bucket compared with our looming financial liabilities. There are only two ways out of this mess, and we will need both of them: Economic growth (i.e., private sector jobs) and inflation. In order to avoid impending disaster we must agree on two principles:

1. The primary objective of tax policy should be to maximize long term net revenue. This means we must encourage new job creation in order to shift as many people as possible from being tax consumers to tax payers.

2. We cannot afford to increase any per capita entitlement spending until we are able to balance the federal budget. Economic growth and inflation will make this happen sooner rather than later, but we need to put people on notice that there will be no entitlement increases for a substantial period and that they should plan accordingly.

No hidden agenda here; just stark reality as I see it. Do you agree or disagree? If you disagree, what is your plan?

Before I respond, what is your definition of "per capita entitlement"? And is that that the only spending you want frozen and/or cut?

Per capita entitlement means all individual payments/benefits frozen at current levels - no COLAs. It is ridiculous that liberal/media cabal would describe that as a "cut," but that is the political world of propaganda in which we currently reside.

Kick the can down the road..because it's an election year...
Kick the can down the road..because it's a lame duck President
Kick the can down the road...because it's a lame duck Congress...
Kick the can down the road...because now it's another election....

Nothing gets done.
I still have not heard a word on when the Senate is going to pass a budget.

new tax policy....?
reform the entitlements...?
cut spending.....?
create a budget...?
encourage growth....?
stop inflating our money.....?

heck no.....all we hear is "TAX THE REEEECH!"

Forum List

Back