First Man

Ummm...we did win

If you saw the movie, you would know that

Wow. REally, just wow. Your level of dishonesty and moral cowardice is beyond belief.

My point stands.

Great find.

"After explaining how far ahead the Soviets were, Kennedy urged Congress to understand the importance of this in the larger picture.

“I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth,” Kennedy urged. “No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of space, and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish.”

And this is why the planting of the American flag on the moon is so important. Not out of some sense of patriotism (though that matters), not for jingoistic reasons, and not even for American reasons. As Kennedy so eloquently put it, with the whole world watching, the planting of that flag was about the choices people would make between tyranny and freedom, about which side they would choose.

America did not win the Space Race only for Americans, we defeated the evil Soviets to send a message to the whole world.

And this is why the clueless explanations surrounding the omission of this moment are not only tone deaf, but reflect a shocking ignorance of what Armstrong’s mission, a mission he volunteered for, was all about.

Ryan Gosling, who plays Armstrong said, “I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that’s how we chose to view it.”

Chazelle tried to dig his way out with this rubbish, “I wanted the primary focus in that scene to be on Neil’s solitary moments on the moon — his point of view as he first exited the LEM, his time spent at Little West Crater, the memories that may have crossed his mind during his lunar EVA.”

It is simply absurd for Chazelle to argue that Armstrong’s “memories” would omit the inspiration behind the Apollo 11 mission, the key moment that solidified the whole reason for it. Everything Armstrong and his fellow pioneers risked their lives for was about getting to that moment, and the omission of that moment is not only arrogance on the part of Chazelle and his screenwriter, it informs us that this a story told by storytellers who are way out of their depth.

Yes, as has been tirelessly noted by reactionaries, there are other shots of Old Glory in First Man, but this argument is insulting and condescending, as though we are just a bunch of censorious rubes counting shots of the flag. Our criticism, though, is not about some hollow rush of shallow patriotism at the sight of the stars and stripes, it is about TRUTH, about what matters, about accuracy, and most of all, it is about what Neil Armstrong and these other brave men risked and lost their lives for.

As we have come to expect from the corrupt entertainment media, no one dares suggest that the omission of the planting of the American flag might have had something to do with the box office failure, but of course it did…

To begin with, to put it as simply as possible, I think the American people are just tired of this shit, tired of Hollywood celebrating every culture in the world while denigrating ours. Hollywood enjoys the best of America — wealth, fame, personal freedom, artistic freedom — they are the freest and most spoiled culture in the history of the world, and still they shit all over of us — and we are sick of it.

Who wants to waste a Friday night and $50 to sit through yet-another clueless act of narcissism, 140 minutes of smug pretension and ignorance and ingratitude.

Thanks to New Media, the era of the sucker punch is over. We know what these charlatans are up to before we drop our hard-earned money.

We don’t hate Hollywood, we are just hating them back.

Chazelle tried to dig his way out with this rubbish, “I wanted the primary focus in that scene to be on Neil’s solitary moments on the moon — his point of view as he first exited the LEM, his time spent at Little West Crater, the memories that may have crossed his mind during his lunar EVA.”

And that is what the moon scene was about......Armstrong on the moon
They showed very little of Aldrin ........the key was what Armstrong did while at the crater

It was very personal to him and had nothing to do with the flag

YOu tell a story set in the Moon Race, and leave out the climax of the Moon Race?

Utter bullshit.

The climax of the moon race was Armstrong setting foot on the moon....always has been

The movie was about Armstrong’s personal issues and the inherent dangers of space flight.......it was not meant to be a patriotic tribute of the USAs superiority

By leaving out the second most iconic moment of the Space Race, they made the movie about fighting AGAINST America.
Makes no sense
Try again

Ummm...we did win

Wow. REally, just wow. Your level of dishonesty and moral cowardice is beyond belief.

My point stands.

Great find.

"After explaining how far ahead the Soviets were, Kennedy urged Congress to understand the importance of this in the larger picture.

“I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth,” Kennedy urged. “No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of space, and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish.”

And this is why the planting of the American flag on the moon is so important. Not out of some sense of patriotism (though that matters), not for jingoistic reasons, and not even for American reasons. As Kennedy so eloquently put it, with the whole world watching, the planting of that flag was about the choices people would make between tyranny and freedom, about which side they would choose.

America did not win the Space Race only for Americans, we defeated the evil Soviets to send a message to the whole world.

And this is why the clueless explanations surrounding the omission of this moment are not only tone deaf, but reflect a shocking ignorance of what Armstrong’s mission, a mission he volunteered for, was all about.

Ryan Gosling, who plays Armstrong said, “I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that’s how we chose to view it.”

It is simply absurd for Chazelle to argue that Armstrong’s “memories” would omit the inspiration behind the Apollo 11 mission, the key moment that solidified the whole reason for it. Everything Armstrong and his fellow pioneers risked their lives for was about getting to that moment, and the omission of that moment is not only arrogance on the part of Chazelle and his screenwriter, it informs us that this a story told by storytellers who are way out of their depth.

Yes, as has been tirelessly noted by reactionaries, there are other shots of Old Glory in First Man, but this argument is insulting and condescending, as though we are just a bunch of censorious rubes counting shots of the flag. Our criticism, though, is not about some hollow rush of shallow patriotism at the sight of the stars and stripes, it is about TRUTH, about what matters, about accuracy, and most of all, it is about what Neil Armstrong and these other brave men risked and lost their lives for.

As we have come to expect from the corrupt entertainment media, no one dares suggest that the omission of the planting of the American flag might have had something to do with the box office failure, but of course it did…

To begin with, to put it as simply as possible, I think the American people are just tired of this shit, tired of Hollywood celebrating every culture in the world while denigrating ours. Hollywood enjoys the best of America — wealth, fame, personal freedom, artistic freedom — they are the freest and most spoiled culture in the history of the world, and still they shit all over of us — and we are sick of it.

Who wants to waste a Friday night and $50 to sit through yet-another clueless act of narcissism, 140 minutes of smug pretension and ignorance and ingratitude.

Thanks to New Media, the era of the sucker punch is over. We know what these charlatans are up to before we drop our hard-earned money.

They showed very little of Aldrin ........the key was what Armstrong did while at the crater

YOu tell a story set in the Moon Race, and leave out the climax of the Moon Race?

Utter bullshit.

The climax of the moon race was Armstrong setting foot on the moon....always has been

The movie was about Armstrong’s personal issues and the inherent dangers of space flight.......it was not meant to be a patriotic tribute of the USAs superiority
That was a mistake wasn't it? Armstrong setting foot on Lunar soil was a distinctly American moment made iconic by planting the American flag.

The movie makers are free to promote the act as a global celebration of all mankind but the movie will fail. It's the price they choose to pay.
I saw the movie
NOTHING in the movie infers a global celebration of all mankind. In fact, there is a scene where they show newspapers from around the world congratulating the US and interviews of people from other countries congratulating the achievement as....we knew the US could do it

You need to turn off Fox

My point stands.

Great find.

Utter bullshit.

That was a mistake wasn't it? Armstrong setting foot on Lunar soil was a distinctly American moment made iconic by planting the American flag.

The movie makers are free to promote the act as a global celebration of all mankind but the movie will fail. It's the price they choose to pay.
I saw the movie
NOTHING in the movie infers a global celebration of all mankind. In fact, there is a scene where they show newspapers from around the world congratulating the US and interviews of people from other countries congratulating the achievement as....we knew the US could do it

You need to turn off Fox
You mean the scene of Armstrong putting the American flag into Lunar soil is in the movie and Fox is lying about it?

No.

The director can recut the movie. Insert the original footage, that's okay too. Until then I, along with many others, will choose not to spend money on the tripe.

The visceral historical drama got grounded in its domestic debut with $16.5 million, despite positive reviews," The Hollywood Reporter reports. Internationally, "First Man" performed even worse, earning just $8.6 million in 22 markets. With a production price tag of $70 million plus another $50 to $100 million in marketing costs, the film could be a major loss for Universal Pictures.

After hearing of this, Buzz Aldrin, the second man to walk on the moon, blasted the film, prompting a fierce backlash. Time will tell if the critical success of "First Man" will be able to overcome the controversy.

The visceral historical drama got grounded in its domestic debut with $16.5 million, despite positive reviews," The Hollywood Reporter reports. Internationally, "First Man" performed even worse, earning just $8.6 million in 22 markets. With a production price tag of $70 million plus another $50 to $100 million in marketing costs, the film could be a major loss for Universal Pictures.

After hearing of this, Buzz Aldrin, the second man to walk on the moon, blasted the film, prompting a fierce backlash. Time will tell if the critical success of "First Man" will be able to overcome the controversy.

It will make millions in profits with the rest of its run, DVD, Netflix and network TV rights

It will make millions in profits with the rest of its run, DVD, Netflix and network TV rights

It may not "will"....and its already losing based on the time value of money.

Ummm...we did win

My point stands.

Great find.

Utter bullshit.

And proving once again, that you can't trust libs to do ANYTHING, because they will find a way to put politics ahead of doing their job.

My point stands.

Great find.

Utter bullshit.

By leaving out the second most iconic moment of the Space Race, they made the movie about fighting AGAINST America.
Makes no sense
Try again

Your claimed that they wanted to focus on Armstrong's personal issues.

By leaving out the planting of the American flag, they made their movie about Hollywood's anti-Americanism.

My point stands.

Great find.

Utter bullshit.

I saw the movie

You need to turn off Fox

Yeah, but you say all kind of crazy shit.

American Flag Backlash Could Hurt ‘First Man’ at the Box Office

not gonna see it in the theaters.
not gonna see it on HBO
not gonna see it on netflix
not gonna see it on CBS

this was an *american* accomplishment and to leave out the planting of the flag because someone wants to be "global"?

fuck that.
not going to see it either in any format at any time.

I am fed up to the gills with Hate-America-first Hollyweird ass-hats slamming on this country while exclusively praising foreign nations instead.

I will not ever see/patronize such drek ever again as long as I live.

Just another Trump created controversy for you all to become an

ANGRY MOB over.... :rolleyes:
You Dems just dont get it.

Removing the flag from the story denies one of the basic motivations of the entire endeavor.

Why is that so hard to grasp?

Forum List

Back