first congressional casualty of Health Reform

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - Democrat Alan Mollohan became the first member of the U.S. House to be ousted this spring primary season after his opponent mounted a campaign that questioned the 14-term congressman's ethics and support for federal health care reform.

Mollohan conceded after unofficial returns showed that with 82 percent of precincts reporting, state Sen. Mike Oliverio was ahead 56 percent to 44 percent. It ends his 28 years in the House.

Mollohan was first elected in 1982. He ran a relatively lethargic campaign until recent weeks, when he began airing TV ads calling Oliverio dangerously conservative and bad for business and labor. Oliverio, in contrast, had campaigned aggressively since entering the race in January.

I bet he feels pretty sick now.

So, all the ethics questions had NOTHING to do with this? Partisan hack much?

Ethics? Since when do liberals have a code of ethics. That would require some level of making a judgement right? Abortion is a big issue in W. VA. Cap and Trade isn't very popular either. The ethics didn't help, but I think you need to consider the other things more, as they can effect many other races. There seems to be some backlash against incumbents for both parties. That might be worth watching too,

Last edited:
Wasn't Mollohan labeled the most crooked member by some watchdog group?

OBVIOUSLY, you are not paying attention to the spin.....this now has NOTHING to do with ethics. It is all about his vote on the Healthcare legislation....

I often ignore the spin. I'll try to make it more important in the future...

You chose to see it as spin.

Sensible people look at a situation and evaluate all information before making a judgement call.

Now seeing as the only thing different between now and his last re-election is his healthcare support, I must assume his ethics issues did not have an affect on his apporval ratings. Why? Clueless. Seems silly. But it is fact that his ethics issues diod not have an affect on his electibility.

So basic logic says "what is different now?"

Oh yeah, his support for a bill that the majority of Americans were against.

But please.....THAT IS SPIN!

Do you even read the article folks? Geez.

Oh, wait... You wanted us to read the article before we made a comment?

I did read the article, after making my initial comment about his being labeled most corrupt. After reading the article, I can't say I'm convinced that his stance on healthcare was any more a contributing factor for his defeat than the corruption and ethics issues.

Who knows for sure, but the R's concentrated on his ethics problems in 2006 and he still won 65% of the vote... They also must have thought it was a lost cause as he ran unopposed in 2008...

Do you even read the article folks? Geez.

Oh, wait... You wanted us to read the article before we made a comment?

I did read the article, after making my initial comment about his being labeled most corrupt. After reading the article, I can't say I'm convinced that his stance on healthcare was any more a contributing factor for his defeat than the corruption and ethics issues.

True. However, it is basic logic to assume that one that supports an initiative that was not supported by the majority of Americans and was passed using a legislative tactic that many Americans questioned for a bill of such a magnitutde, will likely see his or her support numbers drop.

Basic logic. Or we could all act blind and make believe that such logic does not exist.

Upon further review, both valid points. I may need to rethink my initial reaction, which was based solely on my knowledge of the charges of corruption and ethics violations against Mollohan.

That is the reason for my irritation. The ethics stuff was old, and the behavior is the new norm. It was a bit more flagrant than is common, but that kind of thing gets little traction. He got 65% when the ethics thing was supposedly a big deal.

That is the reason for my irritation. The ethics stuff was old, and the behavior is the new norm. It was a bit more flagrant than is common, but that kind of thing gets little traction. He got 65% when the ethics thing was supposedly a big deal.

Well, according to VaPudYank you're a hack for suggesting it had anything to do with the "Oh so popular" healthcare bill...

(edit)...but VaPudYank also believes there's a very, very small family of four living in his navel that he feeds nightly and sings old whaling tunes for them so they don't get bored...

Last edited:

Well, according to VaPudYank you're a hack for suggesting it had anything to do with the "Oh so popular" healthcare bill...

(edit)...but VaPudYank also believes there's a very, very small family of four living in his navel that he feeds nightly and sings old whaling tunes for them so they don't get bored...

Any badge he gives me, I wear with pride.

How come you're irritated? We all know that the current Administration is in complete denial about the state of our union. When you ram unwanted laws down the throats of Americans there will be a backlash at the voter's box no matter how much the pol's try to spin it. They made their bed...now they must sleep in it.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - Democrat Alan Mollohan became the first member of the U.S. House to be ousted this spring primary season after his opponent mounted a campaign that questioned the 14-term congressman's ethics and support for federal health care reform.

Mollohan conceded after unofficial returns showed that with 82 percent of precincts reporting, state Sen. Mike Oliverio was ahead 56 percent to 44 percent. It ends his 28 years in the House.

Mollohan was first elected in 1982. He ran a relatively lethargic campaign until recent weeks, when he began airing TV ads calling Oliverio dangerously conservative and bad for business and labor. Oliverio, in contrast, had campaigned aggressively since entering the race in January.

I bet he feels pretty sick now.

Yeah, but unfortunately he will be on his premium Congress health care plan and not on the plan that he voted for...

Forum List

Back