First artificial lifeform

eagleseven

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Jul 8, 2009
OH
BBC News - 'Artificial life' breakthrough announced by scientists

Scientists in the US have succeeded in developing the first synthetic living cell.

The researchers constructed a bacterium's "genetic software" and transplanted it into a host cell.

The resulting microbe then looked and behaved like the species "dictated" by the synthetic DNA.

The advance, published in Science, has been hailed as a scientific landmark, but critics say there are dangers posed by synthetic organisms.

The researchers hope eventually to design bacterial cells that will produce medicines and fuels and even absorb greenhouse gases.

Just for the record, I fucking called it!

Synthetic cells...once a sci-fi fantasy, now reality!

---

How big is this? This is "the first automobile" big." This is "the first personal computer" big.

In the next few decades, synthetic lifeforms will revolutionize our world.

Last edited:

Scientists in the US have succeeded in developing the first synthetic living cell.

The researchers constructed a bacterium's "genetic software" and transplanted it into a host cell.

The resulting microbe then looked and behaved like the species "dictated" by the synthetic DNA.

The advance, published in Science, has been hailed as a scientific landmark, but critics say there are dangers posed by synthetic organisms.

The researchers hope eventually to design bacterial cells that will produce medicines and fuels and even absorb greenhouse gases.

---

How big is this? This is "the first automobile" big." This is "the first personal computer" big.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/science-and-technology/117944-man-has-created-a-synthetic-cell.html

:eusa_whistle:

So what exactly is the point ot the synthetic lifeform? Im just curious about practical applications.

---

But eagleseven, they used living tissue to make living tissue. It's exciting as hell, but is it really a synthetic life form? Wouldn't that mean they had taken inert material and turned it into a life form?

Where do you see this going first? Will we finally cure Alzheimer's Disease or Cancer or AIDS?

---

So Democrats have found a way to get more votes, huh?

---

We could make a movie about it.
Instead of Zombieland, it could be Liberalland. Grab your twinkies now!

Luissa, you are pissing all over a terrific thread about ground-breaking science news, in the Science and Technology Forum. Whinging on and on about the Evils of Liberalism is supposed to be confined to the Politics Forum.

This is actually very interesting stuff eagleseven is telling us about. Not as exciting as a new political insult, I grant you, but it will alter our universe completely.

Please pay attention. I bet you have questions or comments about this very subject worth hearing about.

For example, is it just me or does the idea of granting patents/ownership rights on new life forms give everyone the creeps?

---

Really?

Y'all couldn't leave the politics out of this?

I'm disappointed, Luissa. :doubt:

Really?

Sure. How many abortions per year are performed worldwide?

How many single-parent children are brought into this world every year?

How many children are starving in 3rd world countries?

Yet billions have been spent on emulating what we learned how to do in the backseat of Dad's car. This ranks up there with creating a black hole and/or the rainforest in Iowa that got major pork.

How many trillions of dollars in debt are we again?

Really?

Yet billions have been spent on emulating what we learned how to do in the backseat of Dad's car. This ranks up there with creating a black hole and/or the rainforest in Iowa that got major pork.

Gunny, I think you are being a bit short sighted. It doesn't seem like such a leap to me from stem cells that morph into whatever body part is broken to cures for Alzheimer's Disease, etc. using synthetic life forms.

And anyway, pure science has value. As does any creative human endeavor.

Really?

What do abortions have to do with science that could lead to a new science that has the potential introduce an as-yet unknown field of medicine.

There are better places to cut funding, if this enjoyed any public funding- such as getting rid of the National Endowment for the Arts, earmark spending, and farm subsidies for Big Agra.

You keep making an even bigger fool of yourself. Not only do you want to inject politics into the matter, you want to do so by taking the most moronic position available and spewing the most pathetic partisan hacker you can think up.

Fuck off and take your hackery to the Politics forum where it belongs. Better yet, if you want to discuss funding and deficits, make a thread in the Economics section- that's what you have it there for.

Really?

Gunny, I think you are being a bit short sighted. It doesn't seem like such a leap to me from stem cells that morph into whatever body part is broken to cures for Alzheimer's Disease, etc. using synthetic life forms.

Stem cells are as much conjecture as your hypothesis in regard to creating life. Both STILL ignore the fact we already KNOW how to create life, and we're trillions of dollars in debt while some eggheads are figuring out at taxpayer expense what they should have learned to do in the back seat at the drive-in DECADES ago.

You last 2 sentences presumes a stance I have not taken.

Stem cells are as much conjecture as your hypothesis in regard to creating life. Both STILL ignore the fact we already KNOW how to create life, and we're trillions of dollars in debt while some eggheads are figuring out at taxpayer expense what they should have learned to do in the back seat at the drive-in DECADES ago.

Gunny, it seems unlikely this research relies on any government funds. I could be wrong, but this does not sound like it needs some ginormously expensive telescopy-thingie. It sounds very small, mostly theorectical, and potentially ENORMOUSLY profitable.

I bet some whiz kid millionarie or billionarie is underwriting the expenses of this research, which are likely modest, with an eye towards an IPO that will make them trillionaries. What do you suppose a cure for Alzheimer's Disease, etc. would be worth? Even the suggestion of a cure would be a gold mine.

Really?

What do abortions have to do with science that could lead to a new science that has the potential introduce an as-yet unknown field of medicine.

There are better places to cut funding, if this enjoyed any public funding- such as getting rid of the National Endowment for the Arts, earmark spending, and farm subsidies for Big Agra.

You keep making an even bigger fool of yourself. Not only do you want to inject politics into the matter, you want to do so by taking the most moronic position available and spewing the most pathetic partisan hacker you can think up.

Fuck off and take your hackery to the Politics forum where it belongs. Better yet, if you want to discuss funding and deficits, make a thread in the Economics section- that's what you have it there for.

Why is it always the same song-n-dance with you would-be Frankensteins? Everything is caveated with "has the potential" aka "we're walking blind on a lava flow".

The only fool I see in this thread is you, chump. "Mr Deflects Every Thread On Religion to His God-Hating Religion" wants to lecture me on where to post what?

Fuck off.

My comments address THIS topic. You can't address anything but ME. I posted facts. Period. You can't address them. Too bad for you.

Wait, I bet if you flap your arms fast enough you "might have the potential" to fly.:rolleyes:

You're toast, fuckwit.:lol:

Gunny, it seems unlikely this research relies on any government funds. I could be wrong, but this does not sound like it needs some ginormously expensive telescopy-thingie. It sounds very small, mostly theorectical, and potentially ENORMOUSLY profitable.

I bet some whiz kid millionarie or billionarie is underwriting the expenses of this research, which are likely modest, with an eye towards an IPO that will make them trillionaries. What do you suppose a cure for Alzheimer's Disease, etc. would be worth? Even the suggestion of a cure would be a gold mine.

Thank you for making my point. "THE SUGGESTION OF A CURE ..." is going to make someone(s) trillionaire(s).

Modern day snake oil salesmen and people buy off on it.

I posted facts. Period.

Did you now?

How many abortions per year are performed worldwide?

All I see is moronic questions and a demonstration of your total lack of comprehension regarding the science being discussed. Of and some personal opinion about this and studying physics being useless.

You can't address them. Too bad for you.

O RLY?

You're toast, fuckwit.:lol:
:rolleyes:

Whatever, Pubes. Logging in as 'Gunny' clearly doesn't make you any less moronic- or maybe you just really are as stupid as PI?

Thank you for making my point. "THE SUGGESTION OF A CURE ..." is going to make someone(s) trillionaire(s).

Modern day snake oil salesmen and people buy off on it.

Gunny, we both know any stock is worth whatever the market says it is worth. If I do up a patent on a new species of grass that never needs mown and someone is willing to pay a Trillion Dollars for the whole IPO, lucky me. What's wrong with that?

I'm not seeing the down side here. My grass might still need cutting but someday, based on what I engineered or discovered or whatnot, mebbe non-mowing grass will really exist. If the people buying my stock see a potential profit in that, isn't that all good?

---

Is it self replicating?

If it is, then it is truly a new lifeform, and that truly is big news

If it is merely a functional cell, then it's still big news, but it is not yet a truly new lifeform.

Here's a thumbnail of our current definition for "life"

Life - the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

source

---

how dare you, luissa.

Forum List

Back