Man Has Created A Synthetic Cell

If you read the aticle, you'll see that other scientists question the ethics of the guy who has done this, and also maintain that although it's interesting it really has no applications and in fact could be dangerous.

Great premise for a movie:
Hollywood produces fake science and presents it as truth......

I could see Tom Cruise or Harrison Ford in it.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/rapidpdf/science.1190719v1.pdf

If the methods described here can be generalized, design,
synthesis, assembly, and transplantation of synthetic
chromosomes will no longer be a barrier to the progress of
synthetic biology. We expect that the cost of DNA synthesis
will follow what has happened with DNA sequencing and
continue to exponentially decrease. Lower synthesis costs
combined with automation will enable broad applications for
synthetic genomics.
We have been driving the ethical discussion concerning
synthetic life from the earliest stages of this work (25, 26). As
synthetic genomic applications expand, we anticipate that this
work will continue to raise philosophical issues that have
broad societal and ethical implications. We encourage the
continued discourse.

good evening, l.k. and anybody else in this conversation on friday, may 21, 2010 approaching 1700 hours CDT.

this is certainly a world shaping discovery we are discussing here. may we keep it reasonably on target with a minimum of vulgarity and ad hominem flame throwing please?

i'll reserve my opinions for later and focus on gathering data for you to digest. does anybody know if there has been publication in professional journals about this alleged living creation of humans?

good evening, l.k. and anybody else in this conversation on friday, may 21, 2010 approaching 1700 hours CDT.

this is certainly a world shaping discovery we are discussing here. may we keep it reasonably on target with a minimum of vulgarity and ad hominem flame throwing please?

i'll reserve my opinions for later and focus on gathering data for you to digest. does anybody know if there has been publication in professional journals about this alleged living creation of humans?

i linked to the science paper.

saw that, haven't had a chance to look at it yet. i usually catch up on old conversations before going data mining.

science is not the same as say jclinchem. science and scientific american both publish much more in depth as the news rags but still aimed at the lay person. the deep shit going to come out in the professional journals.

from the little i saw in the news article, this is a zit that has been growing since the 90's that just popped. from the look of it, there are going to be at least two mountains of shit on this --- the actual experiment results publishing, patent applications and so forth and the ethics discussion by people slightly more credible than the comedians who started this one.

rock and roll hootchie koo!

saw that, haven't had a chance to look at it yet. i usually catch up on old conversations before going data mining.

science is not the same as say jclinchem. science and scientific american both publish much more in depth as the news rags but still aimed at the lay person. the deep shit going to come out in the professional journals.

from the little i saw in the news article, this is a zit that has been growing since the 90's that just popped. from the look of it, there are going to be at least two mountains of shit on this --- the actual experiment results publishing, patent applications and so forth and the ethics discussion by people slightly more credible than the comedians who started this one.

dude, science has the biggest impact factor, science and nature.

no argument there, mon. those are still going to be relatively shallow reviews compared to professional journals.

there will still be a whole lot more and deeper shit in the journals and symposia annals, not to mention the patent office.

i'm on the street at the moment and running low on battery. i need to get somewhere with an outlet soon and later this evening i'll have had a chance to at least skim the science story and run a deeper search on the principle players in the production, verification and ethics aspects.

no argument there, mon. those are still going to be relatively shallow reviews compared to professional journals.

there will still be a whole lot more and deeper shit in the journals and symposia annals, not to mention the patent office.

i'm on the street at the moment and running low on battery. i need to get somewhere with an outlet soon and later this evening i'll have had a chance to at least skim the science story and run a deeper search on the principle players in the production, verification and ethics aspects.

ok, but venter, the scientist in this case, published his findings in Science. I linked to his paper. if it is shallow, you will have to judge yourself. but i doubt you will be able to get his lab book reports to judge them.

ok, but venter, the scientist in this case, published his findings in Science. I linked to his paper. if it is shallow, you will have to judge yourself. but i doubt you will be able to get his lab book reports to judge them.

gimme a chance to look at this a little closer. from what i saw in the guardian article, there's been a running game for at least 15 years.

he just published his most recent findings in science, which is normally used more like a press release for the finished product which has to get a more critical in depth show than it can get in science.

Forum List

Back