CDZ First Amendment Rights in Schools

Aquarius Luna

Mar 30, 2017
To what extent should schools limit 1st amendment rights? It's always been a controversial court subject, but I've yet to meet someone that is against it.

To what extent should schools limit 1st amendment rights? It's always been a controversial court subject, but I've yet to meet someone that is against it.
/---- I was taught the 1st Amendment applied to political speech protecting you if you criticized the Government. IT has other applications found here. What Does Free Speech Mean?

To answer you question, no child should be censored because his/her thoughts run contrary to the administration.

A college syllabus should always include the disclaimer that no property rights are involved in student product, which includes written material. College is not a civil right.

I feel that first amendment rights should allow anything that does not cause major disruption (or has an obvious potential to), follows school rules (i.e. not wearing clothing that advocates drugs or violence), and does not infringe on other students rights. That is broad enough to allow schools to stop certain actions that would be detrimental to the school environment, while specific enough to allow for students to excercise their right.

Technically, so long as such rights among juveniles do not interfere with the rights of other juveniles or staff, they should not be particularly restricted in schools, beyond time and place of exercise.

De facto, my son had only the rights I as a parent granted him until he came of age.

/---- I was taught the 1st Amendment applied to political speech protecting you if you criticized the Government. IT has other applications found here. What Does Free Speech Mean?

To answer you question, no child should be censored because his/her thoughts run contrary to the administration.

Right. Billy is giving his daily rant about dogs being better than cats while the teacher is trying to teach the rest of the class to read. Should she just wait until Billy is through?

As long as it doesn't infringe on other people, who cares??
I will clarify religion shouldn't be part of the learning experience at all.

Right. Billy is giving his daily rant about dogs being better than cats while the teacher is trying to teach the rest of the class to read. Should she just wait until Billy is through?

Cats make excellent dog toys.

In this case, Billy is disrupting class; however, Billy should be free to wear a shirt with a caption stating dogs are better than cats (within the schoold dress code).

Cats make excellent dog toys.
I like to pet cats.

Limit among whom? The students? To whatever nature and extent the school administration wants to. The students are minors who by definition don't know what they hell they are talking about.

I don't see there being anything controversial about circumscribing minors' expression of the ideas that pop into their heads. You have asserted doing so is polemic, but I'm not aware of any other folks ever having made a similar claim. But hey, I only know several hundred people, and I'm sure I haven't broached the topic with all or most them, and maybe some of them regard their kids' rights as Louis' subjects regarded him during his dauphinate years.

Did your parents limit your freedom of speech when you were growing up? Mine sure did, I did with my kids. I and they could say quite a lot, but not anything and everything that crossed my/their mind to say. Part of maturing is learning what to say, what not to say, how to say what one wants to say and how not say it.

the thing with the first amendment is while you have the right to say what you want no one else has the obligation to provide a venue for you

so you can say whatever you want if you secure your own venue and even then no one has the obligation to listen

Usually students are not allowed to say "Fuck You" in class without consequences.

You are getting a pretty consistent answer to the question. Kids might be given more leeway at school than I have at work. Consider what would happen if I started a "Trump sucks/is great" conversation with my underlings.

In regards to school, is there a particular case you are talking about or hypothetical situation on your mind?

Read the First Amendment or at least the first five words:

"Congress shall make no law ..."

There is no First Amendment protection in school or work.

It should be non-existent during classroom time, limited to formal debates in civics, Speech, and/or philosophy classes, and by 'free' not 'free' as in 'Hey guys!!! Watch me do this nasty ass rap song bout rape and murder n stuff!!! Yuk Yuk!!!' but real speech about the chosen subjects. Otherwise keep your idiot kids' opinions to themselves.

Your grammar/syntax is very nebulous.

You must have gone to public schools.

Schools limiting 1st amendment rights is your topical clause.

Then you say something about someone that is against it.

Against limiting it ???

Or against what specifically ???

You probably did not go to college either. Normally they will clean that sh!t up in college with freshman composition and junior technical writing.

Elementary school? Middle school? High school? College? ..... :dunno:
Yup that's another problem with the O/P.

"School" usually means K thru 12.

Kids under 18 normally have no legal rights.

They are the chattel of their parents.

It should be non-existent during classroom time, limited to formal debates in civics, Speech, and/or philosophy classes, and by 'free' not 'free' as in 'Hey guys!!! Watch me do this nasty ass rap song bout rape and murder n stuff!!! Yuk Yuk!!!' but real speech about the chosen subjects. Otherwise keep your idiot kids' opinions to themselves.
Get an avatar Picaro .

Forum List

Back