Finally, "The Little Mermaid", who is now black... Is in theaters!

Yes you. You are the one who said it, and you said it again. You are very generous with other people's money and work. Movies are for entertainment, not for stroking your woke sensibilities. Again, misidentifying things.
Here's some truth for ya. They did make this movie with a black lead. This movie is doing well. There is nothing you can do about it.

The only thing people talk about is the fact that she's black. I've been cringing ever since this movie made the news.
No; the issue is that's it's always dumb to tell people "up your arse, whitey!!!"

It's sorta DUMB!!!

A celebration of colour is NOT a good basis for a movie. But hey; if it's any good then of course I wish it well. But NOT BECAUSE of skin colour. I would not watch Casablanca just because the actors are white!!! It needs to be a good MOVIE!!!

Greg

This movie is doing well.

If it was "doing well", it would not both be getting spanked by a movie from another studio, it would be trending to show a profit.

It is getting spanked by an animated movie by another studio, and it is looking to end the theatrical run at a loss.

Neither of those is "doing well".

What exactly was fake about post # 601?

Predictions are not expecting it to lose as much as $100 million dollars.

That is not "doing well", that is a bomb.

And that is growing, as in the last month or so the marketing budget has exploded from $140 million to some are now estimating over $300 million. They are now spending more to try and market the thing than they spent to make it in the first place. Hoping that if they market it enough it just might make them money.

Uh, no.

Care to look at the top box office movies of 2020?

1917, over $157 million.
Sonic, The Hedgehog Movie, $146 million.
Jumanji: The Next Level, $124 million.
Hell, even Doolittle brought in over $77 million.

Mulan? It did not even make the top 50, and it debuted in September when most of the restrictions were already lessening.

No, the fact is they knew they had a turd, and were trying to polish it as best they could. Hence, Pinocchio and Peter Pan going straight to D+. They know that the outlook of these live action movies is bad, the audience is tired of them.

Hell, feel free to look at the box office figures for that year. Of the top 10 movies that year, Disney only had a single entry, the pre-COVID Star Wars movie. Which was the lowest grossing of the entire mainline Star Wars series when adjusted for inflation. But at least it did not lose money like Solo.

False.

Mulan premiered March 9th, not September. 3 days later, Disney pulled it and delayed the release until July. In September, they released it on Disney Plus.

And you're ridiculously comparing that to Sonic, January, 2020, Jumanji, December, 2019, and Doolittle, January, 2020. All BEFORE Covid.

What the hell is wrong with you??

I bet most of the audience could not care less. But it is yet another remake, so likely will tank. Will not matter who the star is or what color any of the cast is. The audience is tired of these remakes.
Didn’t they get rid of the 7 dwarfs because ….problematic?

Didn’t they get rid of the 7 dwarfs because ….problematic?

Yep. And I admit I laughed at the nonsense when that came about. First Peter Dinklage speaking out complaining if they would use them, then others in the dwarf acting community screaming at Peter if they did not use them, as there are relatively few parts for dwarves, and Peter seems to be monopolizing all of them lately.

But this week, another actor with dwarfism is calling out Dinklage for his comments. Dylan Postl played Hornswoggle the leprechaun in WWE for 10 years and has acted with The Muppets as well. Postl says that Dinklage’s comments will take away from other actors who have dwarfism.

“With what Dinklage said and his comments, he’s taking dream roles away that were made and set in stone for seven dwarf actors–actors that dream of being in a Disney film,” Postl explained on ITV’s This Morning.

Speaking about Dinklage, Postl said, “By being progressive in his mind and what he was trying to do and says he is trying to do, [he’s] really doing the opposite and taking dreams away and potential roles from seven dwarf actors; I think it’s a shame.”

Not using them to me is like retelling The Wizard of Oz, and not having Munchkins. Or doing a remake of Time Bandits, and not having dwarves. Or good heavens, Willow.

Which was another complete disaster. A complete flop that was quickly yanked from even D+. Now that is bad when a series made for streaming is pulled form the streaming platform just months after it was released.

Yep. And I admit I laughed at the nonsense when that came about. First Peter Dinklage speaking out complaining if they would use them, then others in the dwarf acting community screaming at Peter if they did not use them, as there are relatively few parts for dwarves, and Peter seems to be monopolizing all of them lately.

Not using them to me is like retelling The Wizard of Oz, and not having Munchkins. Or doing a remake of Time Bandits, and not having dwarves. Or good heavens, Willow.

Which was another complete disaster. A complete flop that was quickly yanked from even D+. Now that is bad when a series made for streaming is pulled form the streaming platform just months after it was released.

Willow was horrible.

Willow was horrible.

Well, I am trying to watch it now, and I will see.

And it is sad, as myself and my kids all loved the original movie. My daughter used to watch it over and over again, as it was one of her favorite movies.

And in many ways, it was actually better and more honestly "woke" than movies made today. A strong female warrior, and a male warrior that was borderline offensive and not as good as he thought. However, it was not done in a condescending manner and we all wanted to see them become better and kick ass at the end. Something completely missing in modern movies as their pandering gets completely in the way of telling a good story.

And it's not like they have not race swapped in Hollywood before. But in the past, it was simply to put the best actor in the part and had nothing to do with the race. I can't think of any Stephen King fan screaming that "Red" in The Shawshank Redemption was "race swapped" because he was played by Morgan Freeman instead of a white Irish guy as in the book. Morgan absolutely owned that part, and it is one of the highlights of his career. In fact, if it was redone today many would likely complain that it was wrong to put a black person in prison as it was a negative stereotype.

And yes, the "sequel" to Willow is bad. I am not even six minutes in, and when I heard one of the main characters tell another to "suck it up", I just wanted to bash my head into my desk. More and more, I am starting to think that movies and shows made for "modern audiences" is just another way of saying "those who do not think and just consume mindlessly".

Not me. Little black children seeing themselves represented. Art should never be solely for profit.

I guess they do...

1686152870137205.jpg

Well, I am trying to watch it now, and I will see.

And it is sad, as myself and my kids all loved the original movie. My daughter used to watch it over and over again, as it was one of her favorite movies.

And in many ways, it was actually better and more honestly "woke" than movies made today. A strong female warrior, and a male warrior that was borderline offensive and not as good as he thought. However, it was not done in a condescending manner and we all wanted to see them become better and kick ass at the end. Something completely missing in modern movies as their pandering gets completely in the way of telling a good story.

And it's not like they have not race swapped in Hollywood before. But in the past, it was simply to put the best actor in the part and had nothing to do with the race. I can't think of any Stephen King fan screaming that "Red" in The Shawshank Redemption was "race swapped" because he was played by Morgan Freeman instead of a white Irish guy as in the book. Morgan absolutely owned that part, and it is one of the highlights of his career. In fact, if it was redone today many would likely complain that it was wrong to put a black person in prison as it was a negative stereotype.

And yes, the "sequel" to Willow is bad. I am not even six minutes in, and when I heard one of the main characters tell another to "suck it up", I just wanted to bash my head into my desk. More and more, I am starting to think that movies and shows made for "modern audiences" is just another way of saying "those who do not think and just consume mindlessly".

Disney could've make shitload of money if they casted Asian girl. They chose poorly.

Forum List

Back