Finally, a Libertarian Utopia!

What roofs did you see ripped of in Orlando? If you saw any, you saw them ripped off of houses built prior to the new codes going into effect.

The State building codes are much stronger than the various local building codes were. That's a fact. And if they had been in place prior to that Lenar home project being built in south Dade the damage would have been hugely smaller from Andrew. And our insurance premiums would be hugely smaller as well.

I Lived through Charlie in 04. In Punta Gorda it didn't matter if it was new, or old. It came down and was blow apart. We were 14 Miles south of where the Eye mad Land fall. Scary shit.
Dr. Reinhold's group is among many scrutinizing the damage this week to determine why some buildings held up and others did not. Structures built after 2002, he said, appear to have survived quite well.

HURRICANE CHARLEY: REGULATIONS; After Storm, a New Look At Stiffer Building Codes - Page 2 - New York Times
Hurricane Charley validates new building code: properties built since Andrew fared much better than older buildings in high wind.(Lessons Learned): An ... & Casualty-Risk & Benefits Management
HTML:
 [Digital][/quote]

http://www.amazon.com/Hurricane-Charley-validates-building-code/dp/B000842NJE

What roofs did you see ripped of in Orlando? If you saw any, you saw them ripped off of houses built prior to the new codes going into effect.

The State building codes are much stronger than the various local building codes were. That's a fact. And if they had been in place prior to that Lenar home project being built in south Dade the damage would have been hugely smaller from Andrew. And our insurance premiums would be hugely smaller as well.

I Lived through Charlie in 04. In Punta Gorda it didn't matter if it was new, or old. It came down and was blow apart. We were 14 Miles south of where the Eye mad Land fall. Scary shit.

Anyone that believes you can make a home hurricane proof or even hurricane resistant and still keep it affordable enough for middle class Americans is nuts. At least at this point. Maybe some future tech will enable it but hurricanes are impressively destructive and there is nothing we can do about that.

Sure it's affordable. We, a middle class American family, took steps to make our home hurricane resistant. When Wilma came blasting through our neighborhood, we were one of a hand-full of homes that still had an intact roof.

This is what I have against Libertarians. They lack basic common sense. Government dictates regarding drug use, abortion, etc., I can certainly agree with the Libertarian philosophy. But building codes, not so much. If your house is unsecure during a hurricane it has the potential of harming mine. But from the Libertarian viewpoint that simply doesn't matter.

Forum List

Back