Fighting Back and Winning

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
If the administration keeps this up, I have no fear for the alternative media, the poll numbers will change. Links at site. BTW, Lorie Byrd is Poli Pundit:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/003896.htm

HERE IS WHY DEMOCRATS THOUGHT THEY WOULD GET AWAY WITH IT
By Lorie Byrd · November 15, 2005 01:59 PM

When you watch this incredibly good RNC web video you might ask how on earth the Democrats ever thought they would get away with accusing the President of lying and misleading the country into the war in Iraq. I would answer that with the following:

1. They were emboldened when they were successful in getting the President to say the "16 words" should not have been included in the SOTU speech. This was the beginning of the "Bush lied" mantra. Many even claimed that Bush admitted he lied about the 16 words when he said they should not have been included. More on that sequence of events here and here.

2. They knew they had control of the MSM and that most reporters are too lazy to check previous statements of Democrats and their memories are too short to remember those statements, unless, of course, they would be harmful to Republicans. (Update: Some readers have argued that reporters are not so much lazy as agenda-driven. I think it is both, and would agree that agenda often is the overriding factor.)

3. They were following the example of Bill Clinton that if you repeat something often enough it becomes perceived as truth and in politics perception is everything.

4. (Added as an update upon further reflection) Another reason is that Bush has been too darned nice. Clinton used to badmouth Republicans on a daily basis and would refute any allegation made by Republicans by blaming it on his enemies' desire to destroy him. Bush has taken a 180 degree different approach by not blaming others and rarely responding to his critics. The longer Democrats claimed Bush lied and got no response, the bolder they got. I'll bet they feel like they have been hit over the head with a two by four this week. The shock has probably not worn off yet.

If you follow the links above to my previous posts you will see that I have been urging the President to refute the "Bush lied" accusations for well over a year now. When I heard that he was going to "push back" against the accusations I was glad, but was afraid it might be too little too late. I am convinced by the President's two recent speeches, as well as the excellent web video linked above, that the effort is a serious one and that if it is continued with this intensity it can be successful. I think that it is possible that not only can the President win the argument about whether or not he lied or manipulated intelligence, but that he can expose the big lie the Democrats have been telling ever since the 16 words "apology" led them to believe they could get away with rewriting history.

UPDATE: For those who don't follow all the links and doubt that I have really been calling for the current action from the President for over a year, here is an excerpt from one of my posts from July 10, 2004 regarding the 16 words/Plame matter:

I believe this is one of the most outrageous cases of media bias and journalistic malpractice ever. It gave Democrats the opportunity to start their “Bush lied” mantra, which continues unabated to this day. You can read my rant about that here. Bush made a huge mistake when he distanced himself from the SOTU statement and he made another one by not more vigorously denouncing the “lie” accusations. I think all these matters (the 16 words, Wilson/Plame, WMD, etc.) should be addressed and Democrats held to account. There is a very strong case to be made that not only did Bush not “lie", but that the Democrats knew he didn’t when they accused him of it. These are national security matters that the Democrats have been playing politics with and that is inexcusable. They should be made to answer for their behavior.

Now maybe Polipundit readers will understand why I have been obsessing somewhat over this story the past few days.

UPDATE II: Evidently the "push back" is striking some nerves. A moonbat meeting has been called just to address it.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/opinion/baroneblog/columns/barone_051114_2.htm

Michael Barone's Blog
11/14/05
'I think it's a lie to say that the president lied'

That is what John McCain said in response to Bob Schieffer's question on Face the Nation yesterday, "Do you believe it is unpatriotic to criticize the administration's Iraq policy?" Here's McCain's reply in full:

"No, I think it's a very legitimate aspect of American life to criticize and to disagree and to debate. But I want to say I think it's a lie to say that the president lied to the American people [boldface added]. I sat on the Robb-Silberman commission. I saw many, many analysts that came before that committee. I asked every one of them–I said, `Did–were you ever pressured politically or any other way to change your analysis of the situation as you saw [it]?' Every one of them said no. Now was there a colossal intelligence failure? Of course, there was. Is there still a lot that needs to be done to improve that? Are we winning the war on terror? I think it depends on your parameters. But to assert that the president intentionally lied to the American people is just wrong."

But that, of course, is what so many leading Democrats want the American people to think. And to judge from the polls, they have been making some headway since they shut the Senate down and imposed a secret session to consider this issue three weeks ago.

President Bush responded forthrightly in his speech on Veterans Day last week. He spoke at great length of the murderous ideology of "Islamic radicalism" instead of just unspecified terrorism—something he started doing only this fall and probably should have been doing long ago. Toward the end, he addressed the Democrats' charges:

"While it's perfectly legitimate to criticize my decision or the conduct of the war, it is deeply irresponsible to rewrite the history of how that war began. [Applause.] Some Democrats and antiwar critics are now claiming we manipulated the intelligence and misled the American people about why we went to war. These critics are fully aware that a bipartisan Senate investigation found no evidence of political pressure to change the intelligence community's judgments related to Iraq's weapons programs.

"They also know that intelligence agencies from around the world agreed with our assessment of Saddam Hussein. They know the United Nations passed more than a dozen resolutions citing his development and possession of weapons of mass destruction. And many of these critics supported my opponent during the last election, who explained his position to support the resolution in the Congress this way: 'When I vote to give the president of the United States the authority to use force, if necessary, to disarm Saddam Hussein, it is because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a threat, and a grave threat, to our security.' That's why more than a hundred Democrats in the House and the Senate–who had access to the same intelligence–voted to support removing Saddam Hussein from power. [Applause.]

"The stakes in the global war on terror are too high, and the national interest is too important, for politicians to throw out false charges. [Applause.] These baseless attacks send the wrong signal to our troops and to an enemy that is questioning America's will. As our troops fight a ruthless enemy determined to destroy our way of life, they deserve to know that their elected leaders who voted to send them to war continue to stand behind them. [Applause.] Our troops deserve to know that this support will remain firm when the going gets tough. [Applause.] And our troops deserve to know that whatever our differences in Washington, our will is strong, our nation is united, and we will settle for nothing less than victory. [Applause.]"

Of course, the Democrats are squawking. McCain and Bush are daring to call their charge—that Bush deliberately lied about intelligence—for the Big Lie that it is. The Democrats still argue that there needs to be an investigation of whether the administration lied about prewar intelligence. But, as the White House points out, the Senate Intelligence Committee, the Silberman-Robb commission, and Lord Butler in Britain have conducted such investigations and have found no manipulation of intelligence—and that the raw intelligence that leading members of the administration had at the time but members of Congress did not was even more alarming than what members of Congress had.

Go back, if we must, to 2002 and 2003. What we knew then was that (a) Saddam Hussein's regime had developed weapons of mass destruction—chemical and biological weapons and the beginnings of a nuclear weapons program—in the past, (b) that regime had used such weapons against its own people, and (c) that regime had refused over a long time to cooperate with the U.N. inspection program. Even apart from the intelligence reports indicating that WMD programs were continuing, it would have been grossly irresponsible for any U.S. government to have assumed that they had stopped. What kind of intelligence could we have obtained, in those circumstances, that would have convinced us that they had stopped? The failure of U.N. inspectors to find WMD programs? But they could easily be hidden, and the actions of regime operatives suggested they were hiding something. Statements by top-level defectors or regime members that the programs were not ongoing? Any intelligence analyst would have to assume that these might be disinformation. Statements by Saddam himself? Come on.

The Democrats are trying to relitigate the prewar intelligence issue in the hopes of delegitimizing this administration. But in delegitimizing the administration, they also tend to delegitimize the efforts of the U.S. government, including military personnel, in Iraq and generally in the war against Islamic terrorism. To the extent they delegitimize the United States, they are hurting the cause of freedom for millions of people. I do not say the Democrats are being unpatriotic, a word they seem fixated on. So far as I am aware, no responsible Republican has charged that they are unpatriotic; John McCain refused Bob Schieffer's invitation to do so. But I do say this: The Democrats who are peddling the Big Lie of "Bush lied" are doing so either (a) deliberately to injure the cause of the United States and of freedom in the world or, as I think, (b) with reckless disregard of whether they injure the cause of the United States and of freedom in the world. What they are doing may suit their political needs, but it hurts our country.

I'll leave the last word to Fred Hiatt, editorial-page editor of the Washington Post, who seems to take a similar view in his column today.

"'Those aren't irrelevant questions [about prewar intelligence],' says Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.). 'But the more they dominate the public debate, the harder it is to sustain public support for the war.'

"What Lieberman doesn't say is that many Democrats would view such an outcome as an advantage. Their focus on 2002 is a way to further undercut President Bush, and Bush's war, without taking the risk of offering an alternative strategy–to satisfy their withdraw-now constituents without being accountable for a withdraw-now position.

"Many of them understand that dwindling public support could force the United States into a self-defeating position, and that defeat in Iraq would be disastrous for the United States as well as for [Iraqi Vice President Adel Abdul] Mahdi and his countrymen. But the taste of political blood as Bush weakens, combined with their embarrassment at having supported the war in the first place, seems to override that understanding."

This administration has no shame and neither do its apologists. They are not man enough or woman enough to ever just simply admit they were wrong. It always has to be qualified by the "so were the Democrats" card.

Leadership is all about "the buck stops here." The fact that Congress was presented with doctored "evidence" in the Administration's presentation never seems to be considered by the political right. They don't care about the details, or the fact that Congress believed what they were told and shown by a dishonest President and his administration that was predisposed to war in Iraq.

Bush's poll numbes continue to plummet, and all he can do is tell more lies about how the Democrats are causing people to lose faith in him. The only things that are causing the public to lose faith in Bush are (1) his lies about WMDs, (2) his lies about the Iraq-Al Queda ties, (3) his links of Iraq to 9/11, (4) his lies about global support for HIS war in Iraq, (5) a failing US economy, (6) lack of adequate health care for American families, (7) his cuts to veterans and active duty soldiers and sailors, (8) his lack of adequate funding and support, in terms of logistics and materials, for our troops on the ground in Iraq, (9) his failures on neducation, (10) the continued loss of jobs for American workers, (11) the total failure of the Department of Homeland Security, (12) the taking of rights and freedoms from American citizens in the name of "security", (13) his administration's handling of the Hurricane Katrina and Rita disasters, (14) his failure to protect our borders, (15) his support for cuts in Davis-Bacon, (16) his support for hiring illegal immigrant workers to do jobs American citizens could have and should have had, (17) his failure to root out corruption in his own administration (i.e. - his promise to fire any administration operative involved in the leak of Valerie Plame's name), (18) his failure to demand acountability from Bill Frist over his lies and conflict of interest, as well as his illegal insider trading of stocks along the same lines as those that sent Martha Stewart to prison, (19) his failure to demand accountability from Tom DeLay for ALL his political corruption, (20) his draft desertion during his National Guard "service", (21) his lies about his cocaine use, (22) his failure to rebuke Pat Robertson for publicly calling for the assassination of a foreign head of State (Venezuelan President Chavez), his administration's continued sellout of American interests to Communist China, (23) his failure to enact price controls on the energy industry when it is generating record profits at the expense of economic stability through price gouging, (24) increasing the federal deficit to the largest in American history to give tax cuts to the wealthy, (25) the constant assault on education in an on-going Republican effort to dumb down American citizens so they will not recognize that their one true enemy is the GOP, (26) the constant assault on the environment so that multinational corporations can increase profits by raiding our natural national treasures, (27) the constant lies about the state of the Social Security system and Bush's attempts to turn social security in a Ponzi scheme of stock market investment where only the people at the top ever win and the list goes on ad nauseum.

Bush apologists always have an "answer" and a futile rebuttal to every one of these failures. As we all know all too well, every one of these failures can be laid directly at the feet of Bill Clinton. It is ALL Bill Clinton's fault.

The truth is, we are stuck with a Fascist President who does not love America, who does not respect our Constitution of our people, does not respect our military (from which he deserted) and whose only friends are his wealthy corporate puppetmasters.

Dear Troll Candidate,

Thank you for your troll. Your troll has been evaluated by our panel of experts. Here are the results of our tests.

We found that your troll was...
[x] Incomprehensible
[ ] Offensive
[x] Just plain stupid
[x] Without merit
[x] Grammatically incorrect
[x] Laced with spelling and punctuation errors
[x] Laden with circular reasoning
[x] Laced with misunderstandings of basic political or scientific principles
[x] Somewhat too revealing of your minimal mental abilities
[x] Too similar to other trolls submitted by candidates in the past.

You could improve your troll considerably by...
[x] Including a few actual facts.
[x] Taking remedial English lessons
[x] Mentioning NPR more.
[x] Mentioning WMDs more.
[x] Mentioning that you are a professional.
[x] Stating more falsehoods as facts than you already have.
[x] Splicing words to associate your opponents with evil. Examples: KKKarl Rove, BusHitler.
[x] Swearing more.
[x] Including more colorful personal insults.
[x] Using the phrases "you people" or "those people" more.
[x] Modifying your insults to cover larger groups of people at once.
[ ] Ranting incoherently.
[x] Using religious or racial slurs.
[x] Using the words "junk", "crap", "garbage", "quagmire", "flimsy" and "Professional" more frequently.
[x] Using childish taunts.
[x] Including fake laughter such as "ha ha ha" or "har de har de har".
[x] Focusing on just one outrageous topic will give your troll more punch.
[x] Ignoring any facts, and using more absolutes in your troll.
[x] Using all capital letters.
[ ] Focusing more on those areas in which "your" opinion is better than "their" opinion.
[x] Exaggerate more, you need not be limited by facts. Examples: Say that somethig big just happened and all you've heard is that it happened. Even if it's a natural disaster, terrorist attack, war between two 3rd world countries, blame it on Bush, Rove, Delay, Limbaugh, O'Reilly, the Jews, or even the elves that cast charm spells on the stupid southerners who vote for them; it dosen't matter what you say. Just say anything that pops into your head. You can do it. Think stream of consciousness.

Please get a...
[x] life
[x] grip
[x] job
[x] clue
[x] book on basic politics
[x] note from your mom

You should...
[x] Have someone who can read review your postings.
[ ] Save your postings out and think later if you really want to send them.
[x] Take your meds.
[x] Not have "one for the road" next time.
[x] Stay in school.
[x] Go think whatever you want, we don't care.
[ ] Think about other people's feelings before you post.
[x] Get your ego boost some other way.
[ ] Realize that by trolling a group you hurt everyone, not just the people you are mad at.
[x] Go away so we can talk about politics.
[x] Put up a web site with your great opinions on it to show the world.
[ ] Take down your web site, your photos are horrible.

Suggested other activities besides trolling.
[x] Posting something constructive.
[x] Doing actual thinking.
[x] Helping someone else.
[x] Spending some time with your family instead of your computer.
[x] Working off that big pot belly.
[x] Get your ego boost instead by helping out at a local hospital.
[x] Consider another hobby that does not require contact with other humans such as wood burning, breeding flowers, painting or mortuary science.

Thanks for your submission.

You have [ ] passed [ ] passed with honors [x] failed.

As painful as it was, I actually read that entire post. Not only does it have every bogus, debunked Bush accusation ever made, it has a few I've never heard of. Cocaine use? Destroying education because smart people hate Republicans? That's rich.

Forum List

Back