CDZ Feminism - An American Issue

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Tommy Tainant, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Tommy Tainant

Tommy Tainant Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,835
    You were lucky. My Nana was a primary school teacher in Wales before the war. When she married my Taid she had to quit. She wasnt pregnant - the local authority had a policy to not employ a married woman.
    Its almost laughable when you read that today but it shows how entrenched primitive views were.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,794
    And the temp agency changed the dress code afterwards. That struggle appears to have been swiftly won and with getting the government to respond to the petition I would that in the future there is a possibility of major repercussions.

I absolutely think it is wrong to tell someone heels are necessary to work in.

Judges Want Women Lawyers To ‘Stop Showing Off’ Their ‘Distracting’ Cleavage, Legs In Court

Dress codes still happens here. ^^^

And we still have unspoken rules where you wear heels because of the environment.

3. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,794
    That happened here:
    NWHM Exhibit: A History of Women in Industry

By the 1920s women were working in auto factories because they were hired cheaper then males and it was viewed as women taking jobs from males.
    The Degradation of Work Revisited: More of the Same: Men at Work? Masculinity and Mass Production in the 1920s and 1930s

Politicians still try to pull a throwback to marriage and the stay at home wives and it indicates that this is viewed as the solution to the economic crisis of whatever time. We saw that during the 2008 election cycle and a focus on "traditional" roles. We saw "marriage" as a focus during Bush II. What they really mean is: we don't have any answers so if you could just marry up and stay home that would be swell, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  4. Anathema

Anathema Crotchety Olde Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    I grew up in the 1970s and 1980s, when Feminism was already in full swing. What I had was the good fortune of being born to a traditional family that didnt believe in Feminism.

I was taught from my youth the Proper Roles of Men and women, with the nightly news and daily newspaper as the proof.

Both Men and women who don't know, accept and embrace their proper role are a constant issue. There are some acceptable work roles for women, as much as there are inappropriate ones for Men.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Anathema

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    It's also part of the reason I wasn't married u too 12 days before my 40th birthday. I would not settle for anything less than a Traditional homemaker for a wife. It took me that long to find one.

6. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,369
    That had to do more with the fact that none of his accusers had any credibility...

Again, Feminism has been kind of a victim of its own success. It won the fights it was originally pressing for - equal access to schools, jobs, pay, etc. No one even debates these as principles anymore.

So the only fight it is still really fighting is abortion, and frankly, given the inherent dishonesty of both sides on that fight, it's pretty much like wrestling with the proverbial pig. You both get dirty, but the pig enjoys it.

7. Anathema

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    Not everyone has given up on those fights.

8. xyz

xyz Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,235
    This is interesting, British Columbia has decided that women have the right to wear whatever footwear they want:
    New law in Canada would ban employers from forcing high heels on women

I think I've heard about this being a problem in the US too, but I don't really think it's a strictly US problem.

Foot binding has been banned in China a long time ago, but it seems some elderly women still had bound feet more recently, possibly because their feet developed that way and there:
    Foot binding - Wikipedia

However, I do not think feminism is strictly an American (USA) issue, there are plenty of problems in other countries, for example in India, or South American machismo.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Anathema

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    The written versus unwritten dress codes for women here in the US will always be a topic of discussion.

Feminism continues to be a major issue in the USA more than other western nationscbecause of the more Traditional mindset that far more Americans than Europeans or other westerners. Even more disturbing for Europeans seems to be the number of American WOMEN who embrace Traditional roles and have wanted to since their childhood.

10. Tommy Tainant

Tommy Tainant Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,835
    You are projecting your values on to a society that does not agree with you. Why should you decide what is best for women ? Surely it is the individuals right to decide what is "acceptable" and "proper" ?

• Winner Winner x 1