Feds tracking credit cards, store purchases without warrant: report

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Federal law enforcement routinely tracks individuals through their credit cards, cell phones, car rentals and even store customer loyalty programs without obtaining a warrant, an online privacy activist has discovered.
According to a document (PDF) obtained from the Department of Justice by online privacy activist Christopher Soghoian, federal agents working on a criminal investigation can draw up their own paperwork requesting that credit companies and retailers give the agents real-time access to purchases made by a particular person.
No court reviews these orders, and the only role courts play in the process is to issue a non-disclosure order to the retailer or credit card company involved, meaning the person being tracked will never be notified of the surveillance.
The process is known as a "hotwatch," and it can be used to spy on cell phones, credit card use, purchases at stores when a customer loyalty card is used, car rentals, and flight ticket purchases. The process "sidestep any Fourth Amendment protections," Soghoian writes.
Ryan Singel at Wired notes the document doesn't set out standards for when an agent can obtain a "hotwatch" order. "The Justice Department told Soghoian the document is the only one it could find relating to 'hotwatches' — which means there is either no policy or the department is withholding relevant documents."

Feds tracking credit cards, store purchases without warrant: report | Raw Story

I don't care if they track my credit cards. I also wouldn't mind if they paid the balance off on the 1st day of every month.

Creepy.

But on the surface it passes the Constitution check.

All those purchases are made in the open, where anyone can see, so the right to privacy is out. And we don't have any ground to stand on to say otherwise, b/c gun purchases are tracked.

Law of unintended consequinces?

Creepy.

All those purchases are made in the open, where anyone can see, so the right to privacy is out. And we don't have any ground to stand on to say otherwise, b/c gun purchases are tracked.

Wrong. Commerce is between me and who I buy from, not the government. The credit card companies tell us they have ultra secure encryption for the transactions. Apparently that's all bullshit?

Anyway you know how it goes. If the government can't track your spending, the terrorists win.

Creepy.

Wrong. Commerce is between me and who I buy from, not the government. The credit card companies tell us they have ultra secure encryption for the transactions. Apparently that's all bullshit?

Anyway you know how it goes. If the government can't track your spending, the terrorists win.

I agree with you morally.

Legally, you did it out in the public place, therefore there is no right to privacy. Unless they get your CC numbers, then thats a breach of privacy.

Creepy.

Legally, you did it out in the public place, therefore there is no right to privacy. Unless they get your CC numbers, then thats a breach of privacy.
How else could they track your CC activity?

How else could they track your CC activity?

Name and a partial number, just like receipts are printed. Try searching for yourself with limited info, you will be shocked how easy it is to track yourself though most of you adult life.

Forum List

Back