Federal judge rules PRCalif's 10-day waiting period for gun purchase, unconstitutional

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Another crack in the dam.
Every little bit helps.

------------------------------------------

Federal Judge Rules California s 10-Day Waiting Period Unconstitutional - Matt Vespa

Federal Judge Rules California's 10-Day Waiting Period Unconstitutional
Matt Vespa | Aug 25, 2014

Today, a federal judge ruled that California’s 10-day waiting period is unconstitutional. Gun owners Jeffrey Silvester and Brandon Combs, along with Calguns Foundation and the Second Amendment Fondation, challenged the law, saying that the 10-day waiting period adds additional costs and disruptions preventing them from exercising their constitutional Second Amendment rights (via Calguns Foundation):

------------------
In the decision released this morning, Federal Eastern District of California Senior Judge Anthony W. Ishii, appointed to the bench by President Bill Clinton, found that “the 10-day waiting periods of Penal Code [sections 26815(a) and 27540(a)] violate the Second Amendment” as applied to members of certain classifications, like Silvester and Combs, and “burdens the Second Amendment rights of the Plaintiffs.”

“This is a great win for Second Amendment civil rights and common sense,” said Jeff Silvester, the named individual plaintiff. “I couldn’t be happier with how this case turned out.”
------------------

Under the court order, the California Department of Justice (DOJ) must change its systems to accommodate the unobstructed release of guns to gun buyers who pass a background check and possess a California license to carry a handgun, or who hold a “Certificate of Eligibility” issued by the DOJ and already possess at least one firearm known to the state.

Additionally, Judge Ishii said that the defendant, California Attorney General Kamala Harris, had to “show that the 10-day waiting period either falls outside the scope of Second Amendment protections as historically understood or fits within one of several categories of longstanding regulations that are presumptively lawful.” The State of California failed in that exercise.

From the ruling, it said [emphasis mine]:

First, in terms of relevant historical understandings, Defendant has not established that waiting period laws were understood to be outside the protections of the Second Amendment. Defendant has cited no statutes or regulations around 1791or 1868 that imposed waiting periods between the time of purchase and the time of delivery. Nor has Defendant cited historical materials or books that discuss waiting periods or attitudes towards waiting periods between 1791and 1868. There is no evidence to suggest that waiting periods imposed by the government would have been accepted and understood to be permissible under the Second Amendment. Cf.Peruta, 742 F.3d at1153-66.Second, in terms of Heller?s longstanding presumptively lawful regulations, Defendant has not established that the 10-day waiting period is a presumptively lawful longstanding regulatory measure that imposes a condition and qualification on the commercial sale of a firearm.

Moreover, Defendant has not established that the waiting period law is sufficiently “longstanding” to be entitled to a presumption of lawfulness. Included in the concept of a “longstanding and presumptively lawful regulation” is that the regulation has long been accepted and is rooted in history.

Today, a federal judge ruled that California’s 10-day waiting period is unconstitutional.

All 'waiting periods' are un-Constitutional, let's hope citizens in other states challenge their waiting periods as well where such provisions are also invalidated.

Today, a federal judge ruled that California’s 10-day waiting period is unconstitutional.

All 'waiting periods' are un-Constitutional, let's hope citizens in other states challenge their waiting periods as well where such provisions are also invalidated.
This ruling seems to leave that possibility wide open.

There's no doubt that waiting periods are unconstitutional, of course. The only "maybe" is whether the courts will learn to read plain English and point it out, as this court did.

Well said. Every little bit does help. You have to stay vigilant and keep fighting the Communist/Progressive Anti-2nd Amenders. They're not going away. But this is some good news. Thanks.

So you think it is Constitutional for a court to rule the AK-47 and AR-15 are unusual dangerous weapons not covered by the 2nd but that waiting periods are Unconstitutional?

Agreed.

Fucking syxyst McDonald's, their drive-thru wait times are horrific at lunch. I can't wait for the wait times there to be abolished.

Agreed.

Fucking syxyst McDonald's, their drive-thru wait times are horrific at lunch. I can't wait for the wait times there to be abolished.
got your panties in a knot because the flaming fairies of LaLa Land got slapped around by a CLINTON appointee?

Agreed.

got your panties in a knot because the flaming fairies of LaLa Land got slapped around by a CLINTON appointee?

So you WANT to have 20-minute waiting periods at McDonald's? Unbelievable.

Agreed.

I guess you are trying to be humorous but given the obesity levels, maybe that might deter a few wally walruses from gobbling down an quadruple Mac. but that wouldn't be GOVERNMENT imposed

I wonder if Rachel Madcow supports a waiting period for an abortion (even though that is not something she is every gonna need) or a background check to buy a diesel powered dildo?

The tide is turning. Even the judiciary in California gets it that unreasonable restrictions represent unconstitutional infringement.

Agreed.

I guess you are trying to be humorous

I reject that assertion. I mean every single word I say ever because I take politics very seriously, as should you.

but given the obesity levels, maybe that might deter a few wally walruses from gobbling down an quadruple Mac. but that wouldn't be GOVERNMENT imposed

And it is therefore bigoted. Nice save.

I wonder if Rachel Madcow supports a waiting period for an abortion (even though that is not something she is every gonna need) or a background check to buy a diesel powered dildo?

Likely not, as the nature of neither of the needs that would precipitate getting those things would lend themselves to waiting for very long.

Agreed.

I guess you are trying to be humorous

I reject that assertion. I mean every single word I say ever because I take politics very seriously, as should you.

but given the obesity levels, maybe that might deter a few wally walruses from gobbling down an quadruple Mac. but that wouldn't be GOVERNMENT imposed

And it is therefore bigoted. Nice save.

Likely not, as the nature of neither of the needs that would precipitate getting those things would lend themselves to waiting for very long.
Since you are adding nothing to this serious discussion, would you mind shutting the fuck up? Go bake some cookies for a bakesale. Or mop the floor. Or do your nails. Anything.

So how do we keep guns from the mentally unstable without a waiting period? I assume a person goes through some type of thought process in the purchase of a gun. Application of the weapon, type of round, barrel length, and some others I would imagine. Just how is the waiting period unfair to the purchaser? Since everyone legally purchasing a gun is subject to the same wait. Ten days seems longer than needed to get a background check, but three to five seems reasonable. What am I missing?

Cool, now wife beater's won't have to wait so long to put the bitch in her place. What a wonderful thing to celebrate (sarcasm).
Actually the wife won't have to wait before she can defend herself from said wife beater. You probably never thought of that because you've never been a victim, except of your own stupidity.

So how do we keep guns from the mentally unstable without a waiting period? I assume a person goes through some type of thought process in the purchase of a gun. Application of the weapon, type of round, barrel length, and some others I would imagine. Just how is the waiting period unfair to the purchaser? Since everyone legally purchasing a gun is subject to the same wait. Ten days seems longer than needed to get a background check, but three to five seems reasonable. What am I missing?
How does a waiting period keep guns from the mentally unstable to begin with? Obviously based on past history it doesn.t
It is an unnecessary burden on exercising a right. That's all it takes to be unconstitutional.

So you think it is Constitutional for a court to rule the AK-47 and AR-15 are unusual dangerous weapons not covered by the 2nd but that waiting periods are Unconstitutional?
Of course not.

To acknowledge the fact that current Second Amendment jurisprudence allows for the banning of AK and AR platform rifles by some jurisdictions doesn't mean one agrees with it; it means one understands and respects the rule of law and the authority of the Federal courts to determine what the Constitution means, where one is entitled to his subjective, personal opinion, provided he understands that his opinion is legally and Constitutionally irrelevant.

At some point New York's SAFE Act, for example, will be before a Federal court of appeals, where the constitutionally of the measure's provision banning AR and AK platform rifles will be reviewed. And if the constitutionally of the law is upheld upon appeal, it will likely find its way to the Supreme Court – where, one hopes, the High Court will invalidate the SAFE Act.

But until that happens we're still a Nation of laws, we're still subject to the rule of law, where it's incumbent upon each American to understand and respect the law even though we might disagree with it.

Agreed.

False comparison fallacy; unlike firearms, there is no Constitutional right to fast food.

Agreed.

False comparison fallacy; unlike firearms, there is no Constitutional right to fast food.

Bullshit, prove it.

How does a waiting period keep guns from the mentally unstable to begin with? Obviously based on past history it doesn.t
It is an unnecessary burden on exercising a right. That's all it takes to be unconstitutional.

Waiting periods allow for background checks. Where does it say you get to have a gun instantaneously in the Constitution? Since the purchase of that gun can impact my Constitutional rights, there are legitimate reasonable limitations.

Forum List

Back