Federal Judge Expected To Rule On Neb. Abortion Screening Law

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Federal Judge Expected To Rule On Neb. Abortion Screening Law

Today, a federal judge is expected to rule on whether providers must begin complying with a Nebraska law (LB 594) that would require women seeking abortions to undergo extensive physical and mental health screenings, the Omaha World-Herald reports. The law -- scheduled to take effect Thursday -- is being challenged by Planned Parenthood of the Heartland, which argues that the requirements are impossible to meet. The group is asking U.S. District Judge Laurie Smith Camp to issue an order to stop the law from taking effect (Stoddard, Omaha World-Herald, 7/13).

The law would require abortion providers to screen women for risk factors indicating any mental or physical issues that could occur after the procedure. The law states that the risks could be any "physical, psychological, emotional, demographic or situational" cited in peer-reviewed medical journals indexed by two major medical and scientific listing services. Women also would be screened to determine whether they were pressured into having an abortion (Jenkins, AP/Lincoln Journal Star, 7/13).

Fire in the hole!

FYTIALRFEMY342NMEDIUM.gif

• Banned
My money is on the judge doing the right thing and halting the law from taking effect.

But then again I'm an eternal optimist.

• Banned
My money is on the judge doing the right thing and halting the law from taking effect.

But then again I'm an eternal optimist.

Nostramanifold nails it!

Planned Parenthood wins first battle over Nebraska abortion law Iowa Independent

A U.S. District judge has agreed with Planned Parenthood of the Heartland that a new Nebraska law, which calls for mental screening of women seeking abortions, should be placed on hold until it can be further evaluated.

Odd, I read about this yesterday. Judge already ruled against the law, thankfully.

You must own a time machine or something.

Perhaps. I'll be in my Tardis.

Blue boxes are HOT!!! (Now where did you grow it and how do I get one too?!!!)

As for the ruling, I don't know much about it but it looks like it was a good call by the judge. I wouldn't be against some sort of screening but it would be more to make sure that the woman isn't being pressured into a decision she really doesn't want to make then to try and prove she's too crazy to have an abortion.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back