Federal judge enjoins state from enforcing curfew against Occupy group

Well, I really hate to say this but Ravi is the only person here making any sense.

The law that the Judge has placed on hold was created just for this protest. I'm afraid it will not hold up. Can't pass a new law just to go after one group. Even if that group is a bunch of shit-for-brains.

So many supporters of Ows here don't even know who they are protesting against. they have mentioned several times that they were protesting against the Government. And here I thought they were against rich people.......... I guess I shouldn't try to the same way they do. It gets too confusing.........

Well, I really hate to say this but Ravi is the only person here making any sense.

The law that the Judge has placed on hold was created just for this protest. I'm afraid it will not hold up. Can't pass a new law just to go after one group. Even if that group is a bunch of shit-for-brains.

So many supporters of Ows here don't even know who they are protesting against. they have mentioned several times that they were protesting against the Government. And here I thought they were against rich people.......... I guess I shouldn't try to the same way they do. It gets too confusing.........

:lol:

That must have hurt!

IMO, they are protesting against unemployment, bank bailouts, and the fact that they (or their parents) have suffered because of the credit default swap fiasco.

And yes, I think they resent the fact that the rich get richer and the middle class is sinking into poverty.

I'm sure you won't agree with me on that, but I'm glad we agree that making laws to target them is the wrong thing to do.

your retard is showing.

Once again you add no substance other than "you're a retard."

I would love to see you write a dissertation...

"that's retarded, that's retarded, that's retarded,that's retarded, that's retarded, that's retarded,that's retarded, that's retarded, that's retarded,that's retarded, that's retarded, that's retarded,that's retarded, that's retarded, that's retarded, he was retarded."

Do you know the definition of retarded?

Not to mention you're a progressive - isn't "retard" not politically correct?

I thought it was "mentally challenged?"

Im not politically correct retard.

Im about as much as a progressive as you are a libertarian.

You're about as progressive as progressive gets...

It's racism

I live in a predominantly black neighborhood and we have a curfew... yet you get some unemployed college grads and its ok?

The curfew was a bit of a dirty trick. I agree with this Judge on this one. I also have a big problem with the protest permit issue. The costs for these permits have become enormous. That issue will have to be addressed as well. Both tactics seem very Un-American to me.

Did you mention that when it was the Tea Party's time to have a rally?

Translation: The laws upon which this country were founded trump state law.

Except that would infringe on other peoples constitutional rights. Thus is not acceptable.

Exactly.

Well said.

Translation: The laws to which everyone else must adhere cannot be enforced on leftists.
And how in the Hell do you get that?

Ignorance of the law.

I live in a predominantly black neighborhood and we have a curfew... yet you get some unemployed college grads and its ok?

If you know for a fact the curfew as installed based purely on race, file suit in Federal court.

Otherwise a specific group of people can’t be singled out for a particular punitive measure.

Needless to say, if the organization in question were rightist, conservatives would support the judge’s ruling.

:lol:

That must have hurt!

IMO, they are protesting against unemployment, bank bailouts, and the fact that they (or their parents) have suffered because of the credit default swap fiasco.

And yes, I think they resent the fact that the rich get richer and the middle class is sinking into poverty.

I'm sure you won't agree with me on that, but I'm glad we agree that making laws to target them is the wrong thing to do.
I meant to include that Dud (Oddball) is a fascist.

Because, really, who would support laws to shut up citizens?

Authorities issued the new rules on Thursday, requiring protesters to have permits and restricting the times they would be allowed to gather.

In subsequent days, protesters were arrested, including more than two dozen overnight Saturday, after they defied the curfew imposed by the state's governor. Most received citations for trespassing, while two others were cited for public intoxication.

When the state attempts to preempt citizens’ rights, it only strengthens citizens’ resolve.

Authorities issued the new rules on Thursday, requiring protesters to have permits and restricting the times they would be allowed to gather.

In subsequent days, protesters were arrested, including more than two dozen overnight Saturday, after they defied the curfew imposed by the state's governor. Most received citations for trespassing, while two others were cited for public intoxication.

When the state attempts to preempt citizens’ rights, it only strengthens citizens’ resolve.

The right to peacefully assemble does NOT include the right to occupy Government property. It does not include the right to live on Government property in violation of existing laws. It does not include the right to prevent other citizens from using said public property.

OWS is in violation of numerous CONSTITUTIONAL SOUND laws.

The right to peacefully assemble does NOT include the right to occupy Government property. It does not include the right to live on Government property in violation of existing laws. It does not include the right to prevent other citizens from using said public property.

OWS is in violation of numerous CONSTITUTIONAL SOUND laws.

Yes, scattered all over the country they certainly are. However, in this case, the city attempted to make a new law just so they could enforce it against these people. And that is wrong. If they don't already have laws on the books then they are seriously lacking. But you cannot change the rules as you go along.....In dozens of other localities they already had a curfew law they could use against them. this place didn't have one........They screwed up..... Bet they get one now........After this is over that is......

[I'm not the one that is insisting all OWS is "united" - I'm not the one who insists it's essentially a collectivist movement.

Quite frankly OWS Nashville is no different than OWS NY or Chicago etc.

:eusa_whistle:

You're the 99% allegedly and I will treat you like a bunch of 99% collectivists which you claimed you are..

Well, at least you're not insisting on it. Oh, and BTW, I'm not affiliated with the Occupy movement.

Not to mention you're the only fool here talking about Nashville...

Well then, I guess that makes the rest of you off topic. I started this thread, titled it to reflect the action of the judge blocking a state measure against the Nashville group, and gave a link to an article discussing the Nashville group. Why you insist on going off topic is beyond me. I guess you aren't able to come up with a rational argument against this, so you have to resort to going off on tangents and making absurd arguments, implying that the judge was wrong because those people in Nashville do not qualify for constitutional protections based on the actions of people in a completely separate state.

OWS is a general subject.

This is not a thread about OWS generally. This is a thread about a judge issuing an injunction against the state of Tenn from enforcing a curfew on Nashville protesters.

But like I said - OWS idiots are protesting on private property across the country.

What does the goings on of the rest of the country have to do with the actions of people in Nashville? The protesters in Nashville are on public lands. They cannot be held responsible for what happens elsewhere in the country, and the state does not have a right to infringe upon their constitutional rights to assembly based on what people in NY are doing.

When you stand er occupy on (a) banks property its trespassing.

Nobody in Tenn is doing that.

It's racism

On what basis do you conclude that the curfew in your neighborhood has anything to do with race?

The curfew was a bit of a dirty trick. I agree with this Judge on this one. I also have a big problem with the protest permit issue. The costs for these permits have become enormous. That issue will have to be addressed as well. Both tactics seem very Un-American to me.

Did you mention that when it was the Tea Party's time to have a rally?

Yes i have always said the protest permit situation is a very sad scam. And i have always believed these types of curfews are Un-American and possibly Uncontitutional. Both the permits and curfews are clearly meant to discourage Americans from protesting. They are wrong.

I would think the intent of a permit is would be one to make certain that any local laws and ordinances were known by the protesters and to help defray the costs of the added police presence needed for the safety and protection of the protesters.......

And yes protests always cost the local governments more money.........

I would think the intent of a permit is would be one to make certain that any local laws and ordinances were known by the protesters and to help defray the costs of the added police presence needed for the safety and protection of the protesters.......

And yes protests always cost the local governments more money.........

I hear ya somewhat,but the permit costs have skyrocketed in recent years. It's to the point now where average American Citizens cannot afford them. And that's wrong in my opinion. In America every citizen should have the right to free assembly and protest. The permits do infringe on their rights. Some Governments are clearly using them to discourage people from protesting. This issue has to be taken up in the higher courts again. And these curfews are just plain Bullshit and Un-American. Tennessee should be ashamed of itself. These types of curfews are only seen in despotic hell-holes. America is better than that. I may not support these protesters but they have been wronged by Government. Tennessee should be held accountable.

Forum List

Back