Federal Highway Funding

[/COLOR]
Since 1947, the amount of money spent on highways, roads and streets has exceeded the amount raised through gasoline taxes and other so-called “user fees” by $600 billion (2005 dollars), representing a massive transfer of general government funds to highways.

The government wasting our money is not reason to take more of our money

Got it, as usual a right winger uses the ONLY thing they have, FALSE PREMISES, distortions and LIES

Where did I lie?

IMO scaling 1947 dollars to 2005 dollars is a ruse to make it look worse than it is.

And that the government always goes over budget on federal highway projects because of graft, corruption and plain old ineptitude is no reason to give more of our money to those thieves.

Everyone knows government highway contracts are a rigged game. A few companies grossly under bid the project a few corrupt pols pick their cronies to do the work then the project ends up costing orders of magnitude more than expected

If you want the quintessential example of government waste and corruption in infrastructure projects just do a little research into the big dig in Boston.

A 3 billion dollar estimate ends up being a 21 billion dollar debacle.

So yea let's all just give these corrupt assholes more of our money.

How stupid are you anyway?

[/COLOR]

Got it, as usual a right winger uses the ONLY thing they have, FALSE PREMISES, distortions and LIES

Where did I lie?

IMO scaling 1947 dollars to 2005 dollars is a ruse to make it look worse than it is.

And that the government always goes over budget on federal highway projects because of graft, corruption and plain old ineptitude is no reason to give more of our money to those thieves.

Everyone knows government highway contracts are a rigged game. A few companies grossly under bid the project a few corrupt pols pick their cronies to do the work then the project ends up costing orders of magnitude more than expected

If you want the quintessential example of government waste and corruption in infrastructure projects just do a little research into the big dig in Boston.

How stupid are you for believing that far worse corruption doesn't go on in private corporations?

Private roads cost us over 5 times more than government roads!

We just need to end the road subsidy. If you don't want to fund government roads with gas tax user fees, then a lot of you can just get stuck in the mud & swim the rivers. Private roads will never replace the lost roads & alternative transportation will take over because it is cheaper than oil powered road transportation.

Last edited:
[/COLOR]

Where did I lie?

"Everyone knows government"... Just nonsense

"big dig in Boston"....

ENRON, TYCO, SUBPRIME MORTGAGE CRISIS (Banksters), Ronnie's S&L crisis, WorldCom, Madoff, etc

Just let states or the private sector take over the highways.

You want toll roads? Besides, if a private company builds and maintains roadways, don't those companies deduct (subsidy) their expenses and tax payers pay anyway by having to make up unrealized taxes?

They have to be subsidized once to build the roads. When the roads are built, the toll will be the flow of income and the subsidy could be paid back to the government.

And in the magical land of Conservatopia, highways and bridges somehow manage to fix themselves.

No, the STATE'S should be responsible for the highway infrastructure within their borders.

Cool, so we'll see all those bridges which cross state lines in two manifestations, one a well maintained structure regularly maintained and one rusting on its piers. Idiotic libertarians have no concept of practical governance.

Just let states or the private sector take over the highways.

You want toll roads? Besides, if a private company builds and maintains roadways, don't those companies deduct (subsidy) their expenses and tax payers pay anyway by having to make up unrealized taxes?

They have to be subsidized once to build the roads. When the roads are built, the toll will be the flow of income and the subsidy could be paid back to the government.

Roads don't have to be subsidized. Roads need to pay for themselves.

Where did I lie?

How stupid are you for believing that far worse corruption doesn't go on in private corporations?

We just need to end the road subsidy. If you don't want to fund government roads with gas tax user fees, then a lot of you can just get stuck in the mud & swim the rivers. Private roads will never replace the lost roads & alternative transportation will take over because it is cheaper than oil powered road transportation.

Private roads don't cost you anything. Unless you drive on them that is.

And btw I never said to replace any existing roads with private roads. I said we should turn the management of highways to private companies because obviously the fucking government can't seem to do it

Where did I lie?

"big dig in Boston"....

ENRON, TYCO, SUBPRIME MORTGAGE CRISIS (Banksters), Ronnie's S&L crisis, WorldCom, Madoff, etc

None of those things cost me any money.

And people from Tyco and Enron as well as Madoof are serving time.

Who is serving time for the major league money grab that was the big dig? Oh and BTW people were killed because of the shoddy workmanship that cost 7 times what it was supposed to.

Where did I lie?

Do you know anyone who has ever bid on a government contract?
I do. I also used to secure permits for a company that bid on all kinds of government contracts. My favorite one was for renovating a couple bathrooms in a group home. To remove 2 tubs and install roll in showers cost the tax payers 32,000 dollars and took almost 6 months. I could have done both showers for around 5 grand in less than a week.

That was just one little project.

If you believe government does a better job than the private sector then you sir are the most ignorant sheep I have ever met.

Where did I lie?

I do. I also used to secure permits for a company that bid on all kinds of government contracts. My favorite one was for renovating a couple bathrooms in a group home. To remove 2 tubs and install roll in showers cost the tax payers 32,000 dollars and took almost 6 months. I could have done both showers for around 5 grand in less than a week.

If you believe government does a better job than the private sector then you sir are the most ignorant sheep I have ever met.

exactly, China just switched to the private sector and instantly eliminated 40% of world poverty!! That is one obvious example in a world filled with many.

Where did I lie?

And btw I never said to replace any existing roads with private roads. I said we should turn the management of highways to private companies because obviously the fucking government can't seem to do it

The (fucking?) government has done quite well despite your obvious bias and ignorance. Sadly, maybe too well since public transportation has suffered while the makers of cars/trucks, batteries, tires and the oil industry has benefitted for the past 75 years. And let's not forget the jobs which have been created to allow the roads to be in good repair to increase the wealth of many businesses and regions via the commerce which travels around our nation.

:lol: How many guaranteed bathroom jobs have you done for $2,500 :lol:

Of course a DIY bathroom is cheap. I did mine for $3k in materials. That was only after my wife had 3 contractors give bids of over $20k.

If you are doing bathrooms for $2,500 each, I've got 3 rental houses with 6 bathrooms that need redone, so strap on your tool belt motor mouth.

Of course a DIY bathroom is cheap. I did mine for $3k in materials. That was only after my wife had 3 contractors give bids of over $20k.

If you are doing bathrooms for $2,500 each, I've got 3 rental houses with 6 bathrooms that need redone, so strap on your tool belt motor mouth.

Can't read very well can you?

All that was done was the removal of two bath tubs and moving the shower controls a minor movement of a light and fan as well as a switch then installing a shower pan and a partial tiling of the walls. Nothing else in the bathrooms was touched.

Here's how government construction works since you obviously don't know.

So the tubs were removed by the plumber. That took a couple hours but he got paid his union 4 hour minimum. Now the shower controls had to be moved but since that involved cutting into dry wall he couldn't do it so he marked the spot and left.

A few days later the guy from the sheet rockers union came in and cut the new openings. That took literally 5 minutes but he got his union 4 hour minimum.

The same thing happened when the electrician had to move a switch and install a new light so the sheet rock guy showed up a week later and cut his holes got paid for 4 hours and left.

This happened at every stage of the project. I especially liked when the sheet rock guy took a month to tape mud and sand the wall board. He would show up for 15 minutes sand a section and leave but got paid for 4 hours every time. IMO he had the best job of all the contractors.

So again if you think government construction projects are the way to go you sir are even dumber than the average sheep.

The (fucking?) government has done quite well despite your obvious bias and ignorance. Sadly, maybe too well since public transportation has suffered while the makers of cars/trucks, batteries, tires and the oil industry has benefitted for the past 75 years. And let's not forget the jobs which have been created to allow the roads to be in good repair to increase the wealth of many businesses and regions via the commerce which travels around our nation.

Really bridges and road falling apart and you call that a good job?

A highway project projected to cost 3 billion and ended up costing 7 times that and cost the lives of people is what you call a good job?

Tell me what in your tiny mind constitutes a bad job?

All that was done was the removal of two bath tubs and moving the shower controls a minor movement of a light and fan as well as a switch then installing a shower pan and a partial tiling of the walls. Nothing else in the bathrooms was touched.

So the tubs were removed by the plumber. That took a couple hours but he got paid his union 4 hour minimum. Now the shower controls had to be moved but since that involved cutting into dry wall he couldn't do it so he marked the spot and left.

A few days later the guy from the sheet rockers union came in and cut the new openings. That took literally 5 minutes but he got his union 4 hour minimum.

The same thing happened when the electrician had to move a switch and install a new light so the sheet rock guy showed up a week later and cut his holes got paid for 4 hours and left.

This happened at every stage of the project. I especially liked when the sheet rock guy took a month to tape mud and sand the wall board. He would show up for 15 minutes sand a section and leave but got paid for 4 hours every time. IMO he had the best job of all the contractors.

So again if you think government construction projects are the way to go you sir are even dumber than the average sheep.

You probably read that B.S. story somewhere, because I have herd that shit before. It's the same as the $375 toilet paper holder story in 1971 from private companies repairing a toilet paper holder on the private Alaska oil pipeline. Inflation adjusted that $375 toilet paper holder would cost $1,300 today. If a worker does slack for a few hours occasionally, it is far less than a CEO steals every nano second. Union workers have never caused inflation. All inflation is from Wallstreet & Government deficits. That means underfunding roads causes inflation.

If the government is so much more inefficient than private, then why are private roads 5 times more expensive??????????????

Why haven't private roads put the public roads out of business???

Last edited:

You probably read that B.S. story somewhere, because I have herd that shit before. It's the same as the $375 toilet paper holder story in 1971 from private companies repairing a toilet paper holder on the private Alaska pipeline. Inflation adjusted that $375 toilet paper holder would cost $1,300 today. If a worker does slack for a few hours occasionally, it is far less than a CEO steals every nano second. Union workers have never caused inflation. All inflation is from Wallstreet & Government deficits. That means underfunding roads causes inflation.

If the government is so much more inefficient than private, then why are private roads 5 times more expensive??????????????

Sorry but that is 100% true and I saw the whole thing happen.

It was in MA.

And it wasn't slack work it was getting paid for doing nothing not even being at the job site.

And one thing you don't seem to understand that whatever money a CEO makes costs you NOTHING. Where government "work" costs you plenty.

When you provide proof of your private road expense I'll address that comment.

You probably read that B.S. story somewhere, because I have herd that shit before. It's the same as the $375 toilet paper holder story in 1971 from private companies repairing a toilet paper holder on the private Alaska pipeline. Inflation adjusted that $375 toilet paper holder would cost $1,300 today. If a worker does slack for a few hours occasionally, it is far less than a CEO steals every nano second. Union workers have never caused inflation. All inflation is from Wallstreet & Government deficits. That means underfunding roads causes inflation.

Sorry but that is 100% true and I saw the whole thing happen.

It was in MA.

And it wasn't slack work it was getting paid for doing nothing not even being at the job site.

And one thing you don't seem to understand that whatever money a CEO makes costs you NOTHING. Where government "work" costs you plenty.

When you provide proof of your private road expense I'll address that comment.

You are clueless thinking CEO's cost me nothing, they drive inflation. In your $16k each bathroom story it looks like total labor got paid less than $2k, materials less than $1k, CEO $13k. That is likely why labor slow walked the job.

NCSL Comparison of Toll Rates by State and Regional Tolling Authorities

Last edited:

The field of contractors is beset with crooks, liars and cheats, anyone who says differently is a liar and likely a crooked contractor. Government projects are not done by government workers, they are bid on by the private sector and use non government employees to do the job.

You probably read that B.S. story somewhere, because I have herd that shit before. It's the same as the $375 toilet paper holder story in 1971 from private companies repairing a toilet paper holder on the private Alaska oil pipeline. Inflation adjusted that $375 toilet paper holder would cost $1,300 today. If a worker does slack for a few hours occasionally, it is far less than a CEO steals every nano second. Union workers have never caused inflation. All inflation is from Wallstreet & Government deficits. That means underfunding roads causes inflation.

of course you would not built new private roads to compete with public roads. You would accept bids to manage public roads. Over time a competitive price to operate roads would emerge that would be about 20% of the public price thanks to the capitalist competition.

Forum List

Back