Fawn Heaven!

As a novice shooter, I was having a hunting conversation with a lovely woman in Montana and she related the traumatic experience that caused her to resolve to never take another doe, when she shot her doe and discovered, on field dressing it, a fawn inside her. It was simply not the right time to see a pregnant doe so nobody expected such a thing.

I went home and asked my brother what he'd do if such a thing happened to him, and he gave me a leer and said "Eat veal".

*sigh*

same thing happened at a rendezvous I was at with a buffalo,,

Here in Florida deer and wild pigs mostly eat acorns from the oak trees.

The meat has a bitter taste to it. I would eat it if I was real hungry but otherwise I will pass.

My wife's relatives live in Indiana. Corn and wheat growing area. The venison up there taste much better than what we have in Florida.

Can't imagine eating wild pork!

In Nara Japan the Spotted(Chital/Axis species) deer DO use the crosswalks. They also obey the crossing lights, for the most part. In Nara Japan the deer are so highly regarded that they are actually considered citizens & have been granted "special privileges" above & beyond their human counterparts. In the city of Nara one can lay down next to a doe & actually get to know the doe & her fawns on a one on one basis.

Out in Farmland America 88% of the White-Tailed deer dropped by hunters are dropped on PRIVATE ACERAGE, which requires the farmers permission to do so. That's because about 99.9% of the White-Tailed deer are living on our acreage to begin with. Driving to work in the winter mornings it is not uncommon to see deer lounging on folks verandas or standing around an outbuilding/house waiting for their breakfast to be served. With the number of hunters dwindling in number the deer residing on privately held acreage has increased dramatically. In all reality many of these herds of deer are semi-domesticated or in some cases fully domesticated deer that are now farm pets(100% fully domesticated).

We have Axis deer all over the place in the Texas Hill Country.
And damn do they taste good!!!
No gammy taste at all it's kinda like lean beef.

Among other things.
Those things are nasty!!! When I shot em at the weekend place I wore gloves to get em in the front end loader if I couldnt just scoop it up.
Damn things were always covered in ticks.
Ticks burn.

I say this as a meat lover. ReinyDays is a sick mother fucker as I draw the line at eating babies. That is if I can help it. I didn't know that I had a calf's liver until it was too late. 😞

Aww, but this makes it hard to take deer to put meat on the table.

Deer are glorious and majestic animals, and taste good, too!

I can't even gun hunt anymore. Just don't like the way it disrupts the deer lifestyle after the guns go off.

I've seen how it goes. Once the guns go off, the woods are disrupted threefold.

Need to dump that gun I bought for deer hunting. Yeah, I don't need that. I really don't plan on doing that ever again.
Duke, the below vid shows the elk herd I posted about. The road the elk are crossing is called "Short Rd." The E/W road behind(south) of the camera man is called "Oregon Rd." On Google maps going north on Short rd.(starts out North rd. in the town of Deer Park) about 3/4 of a mile or so PAST Oregon rd. you will see a long driveway coming into Short rd. from the west field bordering Short rd. Put the yellow man right where that driveway meets Short rd. & look down that driveway(Lakewood Creamery) & you will see the home with the four vertical white columns that you see in the vid. Then pan out & survey the fields in the general area.

The plateau's fields are mostly in timothy/grass hay &/or alfalfa hay(the green areas) which is not the best for ruminants like elk because of their four chamber digestive tract. So they are moving around trying to score on the fields that were seeded in oats & Barley(yellow fields). Many of the fields are posted NO HUNTING & dropping them from the road is illegal. The elk like the White-Tailed deer have figured this out & are taking advantage of it! Unfortunately for the livestock farmers the wolves will be in close pursuit to the elk & OUR livestock as well. The elk may have permentley left the hills/mountains(slums) north of us for the yellow fields(Hollywood) which is a BONANZA for them.

If it were not for those savage wolves I would not mind the elk cruising our fields one bit. An excavation contractor hit me up last week for permission to hunt elk on my acreage with bow & arrow, & I did give him & his two sons permission to do so. If he/they score we may be able to keep track of that herd for the following year & if it looks good I can let you know. Of course the distance of the drive & out of state permit & license may make this a too expensive hunt for you.

OUCH(below)!!!

Veal is the meat of a juvenile cow, while venison is the meat from a deer of any age.

Forum List

Back