Fawn Heaven!

The fawns are out of control around here. A few of them crossed the road unexpectedly and almost got hit. But it was really the fawns fault, they weren't crossing at the designated deer crossing.

The game commission and the state troopers need to be out there enforcing and giving out citations.

Aww, but this makes it hard to take deer to put meat on the table.

Deer are glorious and majestic animals, and taste good, too!

I can't even gun hunt anymore. Just don't like the way it disrupts the deer lifestyle after the guns go off.

I've seen how it goes. Once the guns go off, the woods are disrupted threefold.

Need to dump that gun I bought for deer hunting. Yeah, I don't need that. I really don't plan on doing that ever again.

Last edited:
Why ... fawns are delicious ...

As a novice shooter, I was having a hunting conversation with a lovely woman in Montana and she related the traumatic experience that caused her to resolve to never take another doe, when she shot her doe and discovered, on field dressing it, a fawn inside her. It was simply not the right time to see a pregnant doe so nobody expected such a thing.

I went home and asked my brother what he'd do if such a thing happened to him, and he gave me a leer and said "Eat veal".

*sigh*

As a novice shooter, I was having a hunting conversation with a lovely woman in Montana and she related the traumatic experience that caused her to resolve to never take another doe, when she shot her doe and discovered, on field dressing it, a fawn inside her. It was simply not the right time to see a pregnant doe so nobody expected such a thing.

I went home and asked my brother what he'd do if such a thing happened to him, and he gave me a leer and said "Eat veal".

*sigh*

I helped my sissy's-in-law bit of a goat dairy operation ... shoveling shit ... nothing in the world nastier than a billy goat ... we weened them with a knife across the throat ... before they get nasty ... we had fun with the kids eating kids ... ha ha ... get it ... a kid is a human child and a baby goat ... kids eating kids ... ha ha ha ha ha ...

I helped my sissy's-in-law bit of a goat dairy operation ... shoveling shit ... nothing in the world nastier than a billy goat ... we weened them with a knife across the throat ... before they get nasty ... we had fun with the kids eating kids ... ha ha ... get it ... a kid is a human child and a baby goat ... kids eating kids ... ha ha ha ha ha ...

My bro raised hogs for a while and had concerns about his step-son wanting to name piglets, but when it came time to make pork chops out of Bert, the young fellow had no problem with it!

My bro raised hogs for a while and had concerns about his step-son wanting to name piglets, but when it came time to make pork chops out of Bert, the young fellow had no problem with it!

We named the nanny goats after flowers ... billy goats got menu item names ... pancake, rib roast, flank steak ...

Obviously we had one billy ... so the children were more than happy to eat any others ... folks don't understand just how nasty billys can be ... whereas nannys actually make pretty good pets, and can be trained somewhat ... outdoors of course, I don't think they can be housebroke ...

Boy, did this thread derail in a hurry ...

We named the nanny goats after flowers ... billy goats got menu item names ... pancake, rib roast, flank steak ...

Obviously we had one billy ... so the children were more than happy to eat any others ... folks don't understand just how nasty billys can be ... whereas nannys actually make pretty good pets, and can be trained somewhat ... outdoors of course, I don't think they can be housebroke ...

I never got to meet a billy because the only person I ever knew who raised goats never kept the billys around, probably for the reasons you are outlining. She just sent her nannys out to be bred, and her billy kids got sent out early in life.

And yeah, I'd suggest we un-derail the thread and thank the OP for tolerating our behavior.

The fawns are out of control around here. A few of them crossed the road unexpectedly and almost got hit. But it was really the fawns fault, they weren't crossing at the designated deer crossing.

The game commission and the state troopers need to be out there enforcing and giving out citations.
In Nara Japan the Spotted(Chital/Axis species) deer DO use the crosswalks. They also obey the crossing lights, for the most part. In Nara Japan the deer are so highly regarded that they are actually considered citizens & have been granted "special privileges" above & beyond their human counterparts. In the city of Nara one can lay down next to a doe & actually get to know the doe & her fawns on a one on one basis.

Out in Farmland America 88% of the White-Tailed deer dropped by hunters are dropped on PRIVATE ACERAGE, which requires the farmers permission to do so. That's because about 99.9% of the White-Tailed deer are living on our acreage to begin with. Driving to work in the winter mornings it is not uncommon to see deer lounging on folks verandas or standing around an outbuilding/house waiting for their breakfast to be served. With the number of hunters dwindling in number the deer residing on privately held acreage has increased dramatically. In all reality many of these herds of deer are semi-domesticated or in some cases fully domesticated deer that are now farm pets(100% fully domesticated).

Last edited:

Band the testes for tame the flame!

My 89 year old grandmother died way back in 2006. The moment that I found out was utterly surreal. I was working for a civil engineering company doing soil tests and soil studies for an upcoming project. A guy in a backhoe was following me around as I walked around with my clipboard and some measuring tools. He was smashing through the brush when suddenly his back tire ran right over the hind end of a fawn. It started screaming and flopping around. We. stood at it for a few seconds and I just looked at the guy and I said "finish it, please". He did immediately with a *WHOMP*. Literally seconds later my cell phone rang and I got the news about my grandmother from my uncle. That was the strangest moment of serendipity I think I have ever experienced.

buttercup's right. You ain't gotta do it, but it's sho' 'nuff tasty if you do. :terror:

They're cute, and I wouldn't go out and do it, but boy howdy that meat is good.

I fed like 5 people with that stuff.

I never got to meet a billy because the only person I ever knew who raised goats never kept the billys around, probably for the reasons you are outlining. She just sent her nannys out to be bred, and her billy kids got sent out early in life.

And yeah, I'd suggest we un-derail the thread and thank the OP for tolerating our behavior.

I used to work with a guy that had goats, he had 2 big sticks in his truck for the goats, they start gettin'

rammy, you gotta hit 'em the head. Not a fan. :nono:

I tried pettin' one and he took that as weakness. Made that mistake once.

Ever thereafter it was the stick for his ass.

Here in Florida deer and wild pigs mostly eat acorns from the oak trees.

The meat has a bitter taste to it. I would eat it if I was real hungry but otherwise I will pass.

My wife's relatives live in Indiana. Corn and wheat growing area. The venison up there taste much better than what we have in Florida.

Aww, but this makes it hard to take deer to put meat on the table.

Deer are glorious and majestic animals, and taste good, too!

I can't even gun hunt anymore. Just don't like the way it disrupts the deer lifestyle after the guns go off.

I've seen how it goes. Once the guns go off, the woods are disrupted threefold.

Need to dump that gun I bought for deer hunting. Yeah, I don't need that. I really don't plan on doing that ever again.
We got a herd of Rosie(bearded) elk that has moved into our area. 132 of them from what a goat farmer told me. An excavation contractor dropped in about a week or two ago wanting my permission to hunt on my acreage, which I quickly gave him permission to do so. Like I want those elk outta here as the freaking wolves followed the elk down to our area. I only ok'd bow/arrow hunting as I do not want my White-Tailed herd(s) spooked off my acreage as I have plans for them after I retire this December. These wolves, from what I have been told by the goat farmer are the big Gray wolves not the little Timber wolves.

We had a run in with the Gray's down @ Harpster Idaho back in 2006 where the freaking savages decimated our neighbors goat herd he was letting us use to clear out the star thistle. I well understand your concern about disrupting the wildlife in the woods!

First image; I had just arrived @ my acreage in eastern Washington after pulling out of our Harpster Idaho project. Neuman to the left Pandora #1 to the right. Neuman was born about 5/6 hours before his momma succumbed to her wounds. Pandy's momma gave up the ghost while in labor so I had to surgically remove Pandy #1 out of her mommas womb. Pandy's sister did not make it out alive.

2) My oldest sis & her hubby inherited a herd of pre-domesticated Columbian Black-Tailed deer along with the farmstead they had purchased way back in 1966. The fawns @ the time were about a month old. After the herd accepted us as their new caretakers I developed a habit of carrying the fawns around with me, under the watchful eyes of Bitsy-Baby(Matriarch herd doe) & the other does. As can be seen old habits are hard to break even after 40 years have gone by! The doe is Pandora #2, Pandy #1's replacement.

3) Folks have a hard time believing me when I tell them about our horseback rides down Sears Creek road to the south fork of the Clear Water River. We'd have half a dozen or more riders with a half dozen or more dogs trailing us down to the Clear Water, along with both Neuman & Pandora#1. The neighbors when they seen Neuman/Pandy's horns among the pooches they'd give us cat calls with thumbs up no less! In this image look under Benson's(black stud) left rear hoof all the way down to the bottom of the image & what do you see? I was getting ready to take a ride with my neighbor & as U can see Pandy #1 had not forgotten our former horseback rides of old!
CIMG1183 (2).JPG
IMG_2539 (1).JPG
DSCF3092 (1).JPG

We got a herd of Rosie(bearded) elk that has moved into our area. 132 of them from what a goat farmer told me. An excavation contractor dropped in about a week or two ago wanting my permission to hunt on my acreage, which I quickly gave him permission to do so. Like I want those elk outta here as the freaking wolves followed the elk down to our area. I only ok'd bow/arrow hunting as I do not want my White-Tailed herd(s) spooked off my acreage as I have plans for them after I retire this December. These wolves, from what I have been told by the goat farmer are the big Gray wolves not the little Timber wolves.

We had a run in with the Gray's down @ Harpster Idaho back in 2006 where the freaking savages decimated our neighbors goat herd he was letting us use to clear out the star thistle. I well understand your concern about disrupting the wildlife in the woods!

First image; I had just arrived @ my acreage in eastern Washington after pulling out of our Harpster Idaho project. Neuman to the left Pandora #1 to the right. Neuman was born about 5/6 hours before his momma succumbed to her wounds. Pandy's momma gave up the ghost while in labor so I had to surgically remove Pandy #1 out of her mommas womb. Pandy's sister did not make it out alive.

2) My oldest sis & her hubby inherited a herd of pre-domesticated Columbian Black-Tailed deer along with the farmstead they had purchased way back in 1966. The fawns @ the time were about a month old. After the herd accepted us as their new caretakers I developed a habit of carrying the fawns around with me, under the watchful eyes of Bitsy-Baby(Matriarch herd doe) & the other does. As can be seen old habits are hard to break even after 40 years have gone by! The doe is Pandora #2, Pandy #1's replacement.

3) Folks have a hard time believing me when I tell them about our horseback rides down Sears Creek road to the south fork of the Clear Water River. We'd have half a dozen or more riders with a half dozen or more dogs trailing us down to the Clear Water, along with both Neuman & Pandora#1. The neighbors when they seen Neuman/Pandy's horns among the pooches they'd give us cat calls with thumbs up no less! In this image look under Benson's(black stud) left rear hoof all the way down to the bottom of the image & what do you see? I was getting ready to take a ride with my neighbor & as U can see Pandy #1 had not forgotten our former horseback rides of old!
View attachment 814089View attachment 814093View attachment 814095
Nice pics. I see a lot of brushing just happened with them horses. ;)

Those are some incredibly long tails, too. What are those?

They don't be lookin' like the horses I see. Ol' Nippy n friends. He seems to think I want his fillies. I am

not a horse, dammit! Bah, he's alright half the time.

I used to work with a guy that had goats, he had 2 big sticks in his truck for the goats, they start gettin'

rammy, you gotta hit 'em the head. Not a fan. :nono:

I tried pettin' one and he took that as weakness. Made that mistake once.

Ever thereafter it was the stick for his ass.
I banned Neuman's testes like made Neuman a more accomodating buck.

Forum List

Back