Favorite Songs With a Message

About the inability of people to communicate with each other meaningfully.
Staying silent, letting it go, too embarrassed, etc. etc. never say what is on their minds.

I would sing this song all the time as a kid. I loved it and I loved the remake by Disturbed. "The Sound of Silence" and "Scarborough Fair" I was extremely obsessed with as a kid.

Scarborough Fair is probably my favorite Simon & Garfunkel song. An old English ballad that Art Garfunkel polished up and made it into a great song. Although the message is cryptic and open to many different interpretations, the message seems to be the complexities and challenges faced in relationships. It is one of those songs that I always was obsessed with. Very deeply symbolic I always considered Scarborough Fair my all time favorite.

Last edited:

I actually like a lot of Gordon Lightfoot's songs

I always loved the message in the song "Sundown". I am sure many men, including myself especially, feel drawn to illicit dangerous women and have had relationships with them. There is also this theme of uncertainty in love and betrayal, that love is risky business. I also loved the message in his song "If You Could Read my Mind" because the message in the song seems to be a reflection of my personality... the song always felt like a song about me in many ways.

I always enjoyed Terrapin Station by Grateful Dead. The message in it is powerful mythical journey through life.

Another song with a great message I thought was "Schism" by Tool. A masterpiece in it's composition. The message in the song is about relationships. How once how the pieces fit, the relationship worked .. but now the pieces don't work and the relationship isn't working. Learning how to integrate communication back into relationships.

Other songs with a message I liked that I thought of

I always enjoyed the message in Bjork's Hyperballad just because it was such a unique song. The message in the song is that often you have to give up parts of yourself to make a relationship work.

I also really loved the message in Katy Perry's Firework that anyone who ever felt insignificant to find that spark within themselves that makes them shine through as a person.

I always loved the message in the song Zephyr by Red Hot Chilli Peppers. The message some could interpret is that zephyr means a gentle breeze symbolizing the ebbs and flows of life.

What are you favorite songs that seemed to have a strong message the singer/band was trying to convey ?

It seems some of my favorite songs seem to be conveying a strong message the singer/band is trying to get across. Here is my list of songs:

Say It Ain't So - Weezer
American Pie - Don McLean
Imagine - John Lenin
Your Going Go Far Kid - The Offspring
Hotel California - The Eagles
The Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia - Vicki Lawrence
Under Pressure - Queen & David Bowie
The Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
Gimmie Shelter - The Rolling Stones
Los Angeles is Burning - Bad Religion
This Land is Your Land - Woodie Guthrie
We Didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel
Lots of songs have meaning.

Sometimes the meaning is unclear.

Lots of songs have meaning.

Sometimes the meaning is unclear.
Yes; I find meaning in this one but seems not many others agree; it's sorta an "almost found true love" but overinvested and failed; not doin' that again.

Greg

Forum List

Back