Favorite PC Game

Fallout 3 appears to crash with quadcore CPUs and Windows 7. Quadcore + Vista and it runs fine.

I've got it stable - but I have to run everything stock. The engine polls the CPU for timing, so if you overclock, it throws the timing off and the game crashes.

I had been running stock because of this, and fired up Metro to have it stutter and chug along...

My mobo allows me to save OC profiles, so a quick reboot and all was well.

Current rotation is X-Com enemy unknown, futzing with some skyrim mods, and thinking about replaying dragon age origins.

I have no one particular game, though I suppose Half-Life stands out. I can't install it anymore, since I have Windows 8 and it keeps complaining that the CD is missing, while it is still in the reader.

I like Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, all the Crysis games, Borderlands, Borderlands 2.

I just tried Grand Theft Auto IV, and found it to be trash. It is next to impossible to drive a car with a keyboard, and the game play is tedious. I regret buying it, but at $14.96, I didn't lose out too badly. I know that I won't be buying GTA V.

Fallout 3 appears to crash with quadcore CPUs and Windows 7. Quadcore + Vista and it runs fine.

I've got it stable - but I have to run everything stock. The engine polls the CPU for timing, so if you overclock, it throws the timing off and the game crashes.

I had been running stock because of this, and fired up Metro to have it stutter and chug along...

My mobo allows me to save OC profiles, so a quick reboot and all was well.
ok, I had no trouble with my last quadcore CPU as well.

On Metro Last Light;

I finally picked it up = $10 on Steam.

I'm impressed. The graphics are amazing. It's been a long time since a game could bring my machine to it's knees. I applied the overclocking to both CPU and GPU and it runs fine. This thing is utterly gorgeous. Youtube feeds of XBox and PS3 versions don't do it justice, this MUST be played on a high end PC. I realize the 4A engine is a modified version of the Crytec 3 engine, but it looks much nicer than Crysis 3. I'm running a Radeon 7990 and it takes everything my rig has got to pump out good frame rates. It also is CPU intensive, I run a G15 keyboard and can monitory CPU usage, it nails 3 cores pretty consistently.

Thankfully it takes to overclocking nicely. I had been playing Fallout 3 - which crashes if you look at it sideways - and won't allow even modest overclocking. But I pumped the 3770K to 5GhZ and had no complaints from Metro - just shows what a well designed engine acts like.

Hats off to both Crytec and Deep Silver on this one - really well done.

You must be running Windows 8. I have been able to play all the old games in Windows 8 with the exception of Half-Life, which doesn't recognize my cd reader and keeps telling me that I need to insert the disk. GTA IV was rather tricky to install but I made it work.

The way I make these games work is to go into the setup file on the CD, right click the file and go into the compatibility function. Scroll down and set it for Windows 7. Now, GTA IV wouldn't work when I used Windows 7 so I backtracked and clicked Windows Vista Service Pack 2, and it worked then.

I have an Intel Q94 quad core processor, and all these old games play wonderfully. I have 8 gigs of DD2 RAM, and my system is quite fast. I still see no reason to update my system.

I have no one particular game, though I suppose Half-Life stands out. I can't install it anymore, since I have Windows 8 and it keeps complaining that the CD is missing, while it is still in the reader.

I like Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, all the Crysis games, Borderlands, Borderlands 2.

I just tried Grand Theft Auto IV, and found it to be trash. It is next to impossible to drive a car with a keyboard, and the game play is tedious. I regret buying it, but at $14.96, I didn't lose out too badly. I know that I won't be buying GTA V.

You can probably find a no cd crack on the internet. if you don't mind risking getting a trojan horse with it.

I am still waiting to hear of Half Life 3, but I think it is smokeware.

It seems that everyone is playing on playstations and x box nowdays, and the games manufacturers are not bothering to produce games for the PC.

According to Anand, what the Fallout Engine does is poll the CPU, so with my 3770K - it returns 3.4GhZ, then the engine sets out of order execution based on what it expects a clock cycle to be. If I overclock to 5Ghz - the CPU still reports 3.4 and the game crashes because a clock cycle is not what it expects.

Bethesda needs to get with the program and either write a new engine, or license the Cyrsis engine.

You must be running Windows 8. I have been able to play all the old games in Windows 8 with the exception of Half-Life, which doesn't recognize my cd reader and keeps telling me that I need to insert the disk. GTA IV was rather tricky to install but I made it work.

The way I make these games work is to go into the setup file on the CD, right click the file and go into the compatibility function. Scroll down and set it for Windows 7. Now, GTA IV wouldn't work when I used Windows 7 so I backtracked and clicked Windows Vista Service Pack 2, and it worked then.

I have an Intel Q94 quad core processor, and all these old games play wonderfully. I have 8 gigs of DD2 RAM, and my system is quite fast. I still see no reason to update my system.

Do you have Half Life 2? If so, pick up the (free) Black Mesa mod and you can play Half Life using the Source Engine.

Black Mesa: Re-visit the world that started the Half-Life continuum

Half Life 3 will probably be a launch title on the SteamBox when it is released.

Groan! that's the first I have heard of a SteamBox. I just looked it up on the Internet and got the general idea. I was planning on building a new PC next year, but it looks like there is no point if all the games are going to run on SteamBox.

According to Anand, what the Fallout Engine does is poll the CPU, so with my 3770K - it returns 3.4GhZ, then the engine sets out of order execution based on what it expects a clock cycle to be. If I overclock to 5Ghz - the CPU still reports 3.4 and the game crashes because a clock cycle is not what it expects.

Bethesda needs to get with the program and either write a new engine, or license the Cyrsis engine.
Even Skyrim supports only two cores. I don´t think Bethesda needs to licence another developer´s engine, but they could invest more work in the PC versions.

You can probably find a no cd crack on the internet. if you don't mind risking getting a trojan horse with it.

It seems that everyone is playing on playstations and x box nowdays, and the games manufacturers are not bothering to produce games for the PC.

You can also register the game on Steam and it will remove the need for a CD.

Half Life 3 will probably be a launch title on the SteamBox when it is released.

Groan! that's the first I have heard of a SteamBox. I just looked it up on the Internet and got the general idea. I was planning on building a new PC next year, but it looks like there is no point if all the games are going to run on SteamBox.

Check out the video of the controller. Looks a little weird with no sticks

Even Skyrim supports only two cores. I don´t think Bethesda needs to licence another developer´s engine, but they could invest more work in the PC versions.

Their core (GameBryo) goes back to 1997 - 16 years.

They get away with it because they make good games, and the consoles are so outdated that no one notices on them.

The new consoles will reach 2008 PC levels for graphics, so they will need a modern engine to compete.

The Epic (Unreal) and Crytec engines seem to be the most popular.

Their core (GameBryo) goes back to 1997 - 16 years.

They get away with it because they make good games, and the consoles are so outdated that no one notices on them.

The new consoles will reach 2008 PC levels for graphics, so they will need a modern engine to compete.

The Epic (Unreal) and Crytec engines seem to be the most popular.

I've seen the new consoles running first hand and they look just as good as any current pc.

I read there are going to be several versions and the high end box will use very expensive parts, like a £700 video card. Not that I can't afford it as I have some inheritance money.
But I won't be lashing out thousands of pounds on something new and untested. I will wait a while to see what games are released for it. Meantime I have a lot of old games I can play. The last game I played was serious sam 3, and the one before that was duke nukem forever. I never finished playing doom 3 and quake 4 because I was half way through the games when my hard disk failed. So I can fall back on them if I am bored.

I've seen the new consoles running first hand and they look just as good as any current pc.

So have I, and no they don't.

The thing is, there are two sides to the equation. Call of Duty X will look "just as good" on the consoles, because it's written for consoles and ported. It is rendered down to console levels.

Both the XBox One (dumb name) and the PS4 use AMD's Jaguar CPU with onboard graphics. It's a good chip, and the GPU is solid, roughly equivalent to an Radeon 6870 in performance at clock. The PS4 adds GDDR-5 memory, which will help.

The 8 core design shows that both Sony and Microsoft are concentrating on media abilities as much or more than they are games. As you noted earlier, most games use 2 to 3 cores due to the complexity of OOOE (out of order execution) that is involved in multi-threading.

So it comes down to horsepower. The Jaguar is a good processor, but performs a couple of generations behind the flagship GeForce 690 and Radeon 7990 dedicated GPU's.

Also note that BOTH of these consoles are closer to PC's than they are their predecessors. These are PC components and the Xbox is running Windows 8.

Blast! I don't like the look of the controller. I am a PC player that is used to configuring my personalized keyboard, and using the mouse. I do not want to have to start learning to use my thumbs.

Since my local Walmart and Best Buy don't seem to be carrying too many PC games, I went down to the local Gamestop store. It was the same way, hardly any PC games but tons of console games. When I asked the clerk what was the problem with PC games, he said that all I had to do was download any game I wanted from Steam or Origin. That's not an option for me since I have Hughesnet Satellite which caps my daily download limit to 250 megabytes. Of course, I can get up at 2 AM and from then until 7 AM, I am free to download as much as I want. The only problem is that my download speed is only averaging 100 kilobytes per second so it took me two days to download all the updates and DLC content for Skyrim.

I don't intend to buy any consoles because like some other posters have said, I don't want to learn how to sword fight with my thumbs. I use certain keyboard keys and my mouse, and that's the only way I play games. I guess I will have to give up on games and just play chess or solitaire. Lately, I am back to playing Oblivion because you don't have to go through Steam, which I hate.

Forum List

Back