Favorite PC Game

You must be running Windows 8. I have been able to play all the old games in Windows 8 with the exception of Half-Life, which doesn't recognize my cd reader and keeps telling me that I need to insert the disk. GTA IV was rather tricky to install but I made it work.

The way I make these games work is to go into the setup file on the CD, right click the file and go into the compatibility function. Scroll down and set it for Windows 7. Now, GTA IV wouldn't work when I used Windows 7 so I backtracked and clicked Windows Vista Service Pack 2, and it worked then.

I have an Intel Q94 quad core processor, and all these old games play wonderfully. I have 8 gigs of DD2 RAM, and my system is quite fast. I still see no reason to update my system.

Do you have Half Life 2? If so, pick up the (free) Black Mesa mod and you can play Half Life using the Source Engine.

Black Mesa: Re-visit the world that started the Half-Life continuum

I have Half-Life 2 and played it on my old PC with XP. I am trying to play the original Half-Life game that started it all. I can install the game, and I believe the game would play except for the fact that it doesn't recognize that the CD is in the reader so quits on me.

I have Half-Life 2 and played it on my old PC with XP. I am trying to play the original Half-Life game that started it all. I can install the game, and I believe the game would play except for the fact that it doesn't recognize that the CD is in the reader so quits on me.

Black Mesa is Half Life 1 - using the HL2 engine. It would solve your problem.

Even Skyrim supports only two cores. I don´t think Bethesda needs to licence another developer´s engine, but they could invest more work in the PC versions.

Their core (GameBryo) goes back to 1997 - 16 years.

They get away with it because they make good games, and the consoles are so outdated that no one notices on them.

The new consoles will reach 2008 PC levels for graphics, so they will need a modern engine to compete.

The Epic (Unreal) and Crytec engines seem to be the most popular.

I've seen the new consoles running first hand and they look just as good as any current pc.

What console would you recommend? I know one friend who wouldn't have anything other than an Xbox while others say PS4 is the way to go. I have looked at the games, and it looks like the games are created for all the major game console players, and it probably doesn't matter which console I would get.

I originally started out with the old Atari console back in the late 70's long before PC's were a household item.

Black Mesa is Half Life 1 - using the HL2 engine. It would solve your problem.

Thanks, I will have to check that out.

You can probably find a no cd crack on the internet. if you don't mind risking getting a trojan horse with it.

I am still waiting to hear of Half Life 3, but I think it is smokeware.

It seems that everyone is playing on playstations and x box nowdays, and the games manufacturers are not bothering to produce games for the PC.

You can also register the game on Steam and it will remove the need for a CD.

That's a no no. That's why I'm playing Fallout 3 and Oblivion. No Steam account required. Since my latest hard drive crash, I haven't reloaded any of my old games that were connected with Steam. I do keep Steam updated, but that's all.

That's a no no. That's why I'm playing Fallout 3 and Oblivion. No Steam account required. Since my latest hard drive crash, I haven't reloaded any of my old games that were connected with Steam. I do keep Steam updated, but that's all.

Personally, I love Steam.

Cheap, easy, accessible.

My games are on any machine I want them on. If a drive crashes, I just download - no worry of lost CD Keys or other nonsense.

Personally, I love Steam.

Cheap, easy, accessible.

My games are on any machine I want them on. If a drive crashes, I just download - no worry of lost CD Keys or other nonsense.

I probably would agree with you if I had a decent internet connection, but being located in a rural area has its drawbacks, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. So I suffer.

Their core (GameBryo) goes back to 1997 - 16 years.

They get away with it because they make good games, and the consoles are so outdated that no one notices on them.

The new consoles will reach 2008 PC levels for graphics, so they will need a modern engine to compete.

The Epic (Unreal) and Crytec engines seem to be the most popular.

I've seen the new consoles running first hand and they look just as good as any current pc.

What console would you recommend? I know one friend who wouldn't have anything other than an Xbox while others say PS4 is the way to go. I have looked at the games, and it looks like the games are created for all the major game console players, and it probably doesn't matter which console I would get.

I originally started out with the old Atari console back in the late 70's long before PC's were a household item.

Depends on what types of games you prefer. Shooters have always been better on xbox but with improvements to the dual shock it may be a wash. My guess is it will be a wash this gen but I much prefer the configuration of the xbox controller.

So have I, and no they don't.

The thing is, there are two sides to the equation. Call of Duty X will look "just as good" on the consoles, because it's written for consoles and ported. It is rendered down to console levels.

Both the XBox One (dumb name) and the PS4 use AMD's Jaguar CPU with onboard graphics. It's a good chip, and the GPU is solid, roughly equivalent to an Radeon 6870 in performance at clock. The PS4 adds GDDR-5 memory, which will help.

The 8 core design shows that both Sony and Microsoft are concentrating on media abilities as much or more than they are games. As you noted earlier, most games use 2 to 3 cores due to the complexity of OOOE (out of order execution) that is involved in multi-threading.

So it comes down to horsepower. The Jaguar is a good processor, but performs a couple of generations behind the flagship GeForce 690 and Radeon 7990 dedicated GPU's.

Also note that BOTH of these consoles are closer to PC's than they are their predecessors. These are PC components and the Xbox is running Windows 8.

Actually yes, they do. Unless you're playing on a 3000.00 rig.

I have Metro Last light on both PC and console and there is virtually no difference. Course I don't waste thousands of dollars on ridiculous upgrades that require constant tweaking depending on what game your playing. Besides that I've never been a graphics whore. The game play is what makes a good game not the Shiney sparkles of the graphics. Some of my favorite games had terrible graphics.

Since I found out there is going to be a steambox, I am not buying anything.
Neither a console or a new computer. I am going to wait it out and see what happens next year. In the meantime I will check out what games I can download from steam.
Only problem I will have is I am still using windows xp with two gigs of ram.
Reading this thread has been useful, thanks.

Since I found out there is going to be a steambox, I am not buying anything.
Neither a console or a new computer. I am going to wait it out and see what happens next year. In the meantime I will check out what games I can download from steam.
Only problem I will have is I am still using windows xp with two gigs of ram.
Reading this thread has been useful, thanks.

You know Microsoft is pulling all support for XP in May 2014? It definitely sounds like you need to build a new PC. If you want to build cheap, you can still get the motherboard I have, the ASUS P5Q with DDR2 RAM. My system is outdated by today's standards but with 8 gigs of RAM and a decent graphics card, it still plays the big games. It flies with CRYSIS 3.

Check out this site. You can get some barebone packages that will save you some money.

Barebone, Barebones, Barebone Computer System Kit, PC at TigerDirect.com

Now, I got most of my PC parts from the below site:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More!

I would get a console, but my wife likes her TV so I wouldn't be able to use the 40 inch Sony, or I would be looking at a rough marriage ahead. I could finally be able to find a use for the old Sony CRT TV. It does have video game inputs.

I just tried to log into Steam, but it gives an error message. Bummer!

I have not played any steam games for months, but it accepted my password then gave an error message.
It says there may be something wrong with my internet connection or the steam network.
Well it ain't my Internet connection, so I will try again tommorrow to see if it is steam causing the problem.

Last edited:
I would get a console, but my wife likes her TV so I wouldn't be able to use the 40 inch Sony, or I would be looking at a rough marriage ahead. I could finally be able to find a use for the old Sony CRT TV. It does have video game inputs.

I have a 32 inch 3d tv that I could use as a monitor, at the moment I am using a 19inch lcd for my computer.

My 20 inch Sony monitor died on me, but I bought a capacitor package so this winter I will be repairing it. I was forced to go out and buy a cheap Vizio 23 inch monitor, but I can't complain. It has worked quite well for the last year or so. I don't like the Vizio's flimsy push buttons. I just connect the monitor to a command center and use the command center's buttons to turn it on or off.

The last good game I was playing before my hard drive crash was Dead Island, Riptide. The graphics were so extreme, that I was heating my room with my PC. That is a tough game when you first start out because you can't find any guns. You have to use knives, sticks, and machetes. After you become so high up the level, when you can find a gun or any ammo, you prefer to use melee weapons, instead. It is definitely an unusual game.

The last good game I was playing before my hard drive crash was Dead Island, Riptide. The graphics were so extreme, that I was heating my room with my PC. That is a tough game when you first start out because you can't find any guns. You have to use knives, sticks, and machetes. After you become so high up the level, when you can find a gun or any ammo, you prefer to use melee weapons, instead. It is definitely an unusual game.

I enjoyed serious sam, 1, 2 and 3. They start with using things like a sledge hammer
There are so many enemies that it is easy to run out of ammo, so you often have to fall back on the hammer.

I played a demo for Serious Sam. Later I picked up the game, Pain Killer, where you die and end up in Purgatory. You're just not quite good enough to get into Heaven so you have to earn your way up by killing demons for God. The good part of that game is that you have no friendlies to get caught in the crossfire. You are told at the beginning of the game, "if it moves, kill it." That is a romp of a game, but the boss sections are extremely tough. It's a first person shooter and well worth it.

Forum List

Back